PDA

View Full Version : New lower airspace services

Genghis the Engineer
13th Mar 2009, 14:57
Firstly, if nobody else has noticed, the latest Pooleys update (which arrived with me this morning) contains a good description of the new air traffic services in UK Lower Airspace.

Secondly, can anybody point me at the changeover date, since I'm damned if I can see it in any of Pooleys, Light Aviation or the CAA website.

G

VFE
13th Mar 2009, 15:04
Changed over yesterday.

VFE.

chevvron
13th Mar 2009, 15:59
The 'glorious' 12th!!

fisbangwollop
13th Mar 2009, 16:49
If you are a PPL holder the CAA should have posted you a learning pack and CD with relation to the ATSOCA changes.

tangovictor
13th Mar 2009, 17:07
I went flying yesterday, allbeit very briefly, the amount of "pro" pilots transiting Benson's Matz still asking for " flight infomation service" on route to Cheltenham, Benson, calmly asking do you require Basic or deconfliction ?

Genghis the Engineer
13th Mar 2009, 17:25
If you are a PPL holder the CAA should have posted you a learning pack and CD with relation to the ATSOCA changes.

So I've heard, although I'm not sure if the CAA know this. I was speaking to an FI on Wednesday who'd only received his the day before - giving him clearly loads of time to digest it and pass the information on to his flying club members.

Certainly nothing in my post yet - anybody else?

G

then_ident
13th Mar 2009, 17:37
Would it be in CAP 413. Quite a bit of reading I know but it may be possible to pick out what you need to know?

Regards,

T_I

Genghis the Engineer
13th Mar 2009, 17:49
To be honest, the couple of pages in the new Pooleys update is pretty good. But, lacking that, I'd be rather bewildered to be honest since the CAA haven't troubled to officially tell me about anything.

G

Lister Noble
13th Mar 2009, 18:03
Genghis,
I got mine yesterday,or maybe the day before.
Lister

Whirlybird
13th Mar 2009, 18:17
I've had three - one way back when instructors got theirs, another recently on an instructor seminar, and a third through the post a few days ago. If anyone wants a CD I still have one to spare - pm me, and then send me a SAE. You'll have to be quick or wait a week though; I'm going on holiday on Monday.

But to be honest, leaving aside the small print, detail, and duty of care etc....

Flight Information Service = Basic Service
Radar Information Service = Traffic Service
RAdar Advisor SErvice = Deconfliction Service

In practice, that's probably all you need to know.

VFE
13th Mar 2009, 18:42
Many commerical pilots (including instructors), aircraft owners, flying clubs and schools have yet to receive details about these changes and others have been informed rather late in the day to be of much use from day one.

Luckily, the document below explains everything you need to know:

CAP 774: UK Flight Information Services | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=3174)

VFE.

PS: The irony of a communication breakdown in relaying changes to communications services hardly needs highlighting really but suffice to say it could only happen in this country! :}

Shunter
13th Mar 2009, 21:44
I flew a few hundred miles today (mostly in solid cloud. wife bored ****less due lack of view) and most units were on the ball. All the Yorkshire military guys, Durham and Newcastle were quite happy offering a traffic service. Scottish Info (jolly nice chaps) and Carlisle gave me a basic service. Yet Leeds insisted on giving me a FIS early in the afternoon, and a RCS as I fought my way back to the land of pies and whippets through a huge wall of white fluffy stuff.

I'm sure they'll all get used to it, though I still fail to understand why this course of action has been taken. People unable to grasp the simple concepts of FIS/RIS/RAS/RCS aren't worthy of their licenses IMHO.

fisbangwollop
13th Mar 2009, 22:06
"Scottish Info (jolly nice chaps)"
Thanks for that......were you flying the PA32 to Aberdeen today, if so I am the jolly nice chap!!!!!:ok:

ShyTorque
13th Mar 2009, 22:25
and a RCS as I fought my way back to the land of pies and whippets through a huge wall of white fluffy stuff. People unable to grasp the simple concepts of FIS/RIS/RAS/RCS aren't worthy of their licenses IMHO.

But ATC can't give a RCS outside controlled airspace. It still applies inside though.

Shunter
13th Mar 2009, 22:42
ShyTorque; you're right of course. ATSOCAS being the vital clue... A few hours of hand flying in IMC puts rather a dent in one's brain.

fisbang - no, didn't get up that far, just thought I'd give you chaps a shout up near the border when I was miles away from any useful radar units. I was flying an Arrow (earlier), and my Cardinal (later).

Fright Level
14th Mar 2009, 17:47
Spoke to Farnborough whilst out on a jolly today, seems 95% of people that called in already used the new terminology and they kindly steered the occasional "request flight/radar information service" callers into the new terminology.

What I have tried to find is a single page synopsis from the official websites so I can print and bung on my clipboard. Can't find one anywhere. Does anyone have a link as I can't be bothered to cut and paste the ATCSOCA stuff onto a single sheet :ugh: