PDA

View Full Version : Duxford Safety Bonus Day 11th April 2009 -- FREE

alphaalpha
13th Mar 2009, 13:39
There's a separate thread giving details of the Duxford Bonus Days for 2009 (heavily discounted landing and entry fees at Europe's premier aviation museum), see earlier posting.

On 11th April (10.00 to 16.30 local), to kick-off the flying season, we will have an informal Safety Bonus Day with something for every GA pilot and student.

Landing is free. Entry to the Safety forum is free. You can fly-in or drive (but in either case phone to register and get PPR 01223 833376).

There will be three presentations (P) and six table-top sessions (T), where you can walk around and chat to the experts about their themes. Very informal, arrive when you like, leave when you like.

• Jonathan Smith of NATS “Airspace Infringements” He will show some of the thought-provoking radar replays of controlled airspace infringements and suggest tips to keep you clear and safe (T).

• Any Mc Knight Farnborough ATC will explain about the new air traffic services outside controlled airspace (ATSOCAS) and also how the London LARS works – just for once you can talk to a controller face to face (P).

• Carol Cooper will run CFI Corner -- any topic you want to raise -- training; licence issues; or do you understand the new(ish) TAF formats (T)?

• David Cockburn of CAA will present Better Visual Navigation to complement his GPS piece last year (P).

• Andrew Lambert from PPL/IR will talk about the new (at last) GPS instrument approaches appearing in the UK and about the use of GPS to help in poor VMC. Of interest to instrument and IMC pilots and folk who want to extend their ratings (P).

• Colin Potter from AIS will show how to get the best out of the Notam system with some practical demos (T).

• Steve Frejek and Phil Dawe are London FIR FISOs and will help you get the best from London Information (T).

• Dave Wayman from D&D will explain how D&D works and encourage pilots to use the service. It could save your life (T).

• AOPA will introduce their Pilot Mentoring Scheme for developing the skills and confidence of PPLs/NPPLs (T).

The three presentations will be held from 11.30 until 13.00 (local) and then repeated from 14.00 to 15.30, so visitors who can only spare a couple of hours or so will still get full benefit.

The whole event will be held in the new AirSpace Hangar education rooms, but you must call for PPR and a rough landing slot time. Call also if you are driving, please, to ensure you get free entry.

Further information about the Bonus Days and information for fly-in visitors will soon be on the web site IWM Duxford - Europe's premier aviation museum (http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/) (soon to be updated for 2009).

Even if you can't make this day, pass on the news to your flying friends. We have plenty of space this year!

The airfield team look forward to hearing from you (call for PPR and briefing or to arrive by car 01223 833376) and seeing you on the day.

Alan.

Zulu Alpha
13th Mar 2009, 14:42
but you must call for PPR and a rough landing slot time

Do I still need a landing slot time if I do a smooth landing, I assume this is to make sure everone is watching the rough ones. :):)

ZA

alphaalpha
13th Mar 2009, 14:58
ZA:

I assume ZA is the last two letters of the aircraft reg. You can be sure I will be watching you very carefully -- through the bins! Remember only rough landings are free. Smooth ones are charged. :)

Look forward to seeing you.

Alan.

alphaalpha
14th Mar 2009, 13:25
ZA -- I see you're not booked in yet. Don't forget and give us a call. 01223 833376.

Alan.

alphaalpha
19th Mar 2009, 10:42
There's an addition to the Duxford Safety Bonus Day programme on 11th April. I'm glad to say that Alan Burrill from NATS will be holding a table-top session on the internet AFPEx system for filing flight plans and dealing with messages.

If you are one of the many folk who fly from a non-ATC field, and can no longer just scribble a flight plab and fax it off to Heathrow, now's your chance to get to grips with AFPEx. I've now used it a few times and it's easier than it looks, but a bit of expert help to start off is worth its weight in frustration saved, when all you want to do is jump in and fly off to Le Touquet.

It's a great program. It's free. Call now to book your fly or drive-in slot. 01223 833376.

Katamarino
20th Mar 2009, 10:28
Will this be an annual event? I can't make it this year, but would love to fly in from Rotterdam for it next year!

Cusco
20th Mar 2009, 10:33
Alan: Sadly will miss this event as the weekend corresponds to a highly significant weddin' anniversary and 'er indoors will kill me if we don't go away somewhere nice.........

Will be at the Piper Day though as well as Legends.

Cusco.:rolleyes:

alphaalpha
20th Mar 2009, 16:50
Katamarino:

Yes, the plan is to make it an annual event in the first half of April. The themes and content will vary from year to year, though. Look out for the publicity next year, or email in March to (you'll be welcome -- why not make a weekend of it, so you can do the museum justice?):

[email protected]

Cusco:

Shame, but we'll see you for the Piper Bonus Day and (amongst 20,000 others) for Legends :O

Anybody who wants to visit Duxford on a discount Bonus Day, but can't make the Bonus Safety Day, should consider:

23 May 'Flyer Magazine' Bonus Day
20 June Cessna Bonus Day
25 July Piper Bonus Day
8 August Bulldog/Pup Bonus Day

The landing and admission fees on these days are discounted 50%.

As always, phone for PPR (sometimes broad slot as well), please, 01223 833376.

Alan.

alphaalpha
2nd Apr 2009, 08:05
Just over a week to the Duxford Bonus safety Day on 11th April. It you're planning to come, don't forget to call for PPR and book your arrival slot time (the slots are 'broad' - just to avoid too much congestion at the popular times.

01223 833376 is the tower direct line.

Alan.

alphaalpha
10th Apr 2009, 07:56
Update 10th April (Friday) a.m.

Bookings for the Duxford Safety Bonus Day have been strong, both by air and car. The slots from opening (10 a.m. local time) until 11.30 are almost all taken, but there are plenty after 12.00. The afternoon presentations are from 14.00 to 15.30 and the table top sessions run continuosly until 16.30.

So if you want to come by air, do call soon for PPR.

The Stansted TAF (valid 1006 to 1112) suggests tomorrow morning's weather will be good from mid-late morning.

If you want to come by car, there are no time restrictions, but you do need to book in advance, so as top get FREE entrance.

01223 833376.

Alan.

md 600 driver
10th Apr 2009, 08:02
are you allowing helicopters ? or are we banished

alphaalpha
10th Apr 2009, 08:06
Helicopters are welcome. You will be parked to the west of the tower, near the American Air Museum. This is due to noise issues in the tower -- a CAA dictate, I believe (spend a fortune on soundproofing, or park helicopters a couple of hundred yards away). Otherwise, no problem.

Alan.

Charles Sierra
11th Apr 2009, 18:38
Well done to all concerened with the organisation of this :ok:, great atmosphere and really informative presentations in both rooms. Thanks :D
Looking forward to next year.

alphaalpha
14th Apr 2009, 15:30
The weather was a great shame -- over 100 aircraft booked in and the actual for most of the day was 330/05 3000 BR BKN005 to BKN008. Still, we had about 40 cars pre-booked for the day and nearly half of those who phoned to cancell said they would be in later by car. Iguess we had 120-150 visitors over the day.

The whole idea of the safety day is to hold it at the beginning of the season; but this does mean the weather can be grotty.

Thanks to all who got to Duxford and special thanks to the presenters and table-top experts.

I'm away this week, but, next week, I will look at the feedback forms to see what can be improved next year.

The next Bonus Day is on May 23rd -- not free this time, but usual Bonus discounts apply.

Alan.

robin
14th Apr 2009, 15:45
.. is there to be no Robin/Jodel Bonus Day this year, or do Duxford believe that they've all been grounded????

alphaalpha
19th Apr 2009, 14:46
Hi Robin:

The reponse last year was fairly modest, so we did not include Robin/Jodel in the 2009 plans.

Nevertheless, you will be welcome to come along to the Flyer Magazine Bonus Day on 23rd May.

Alan.

robin
20th Apr 2009, 00:31
I think the reason for the modest arrival was weather. When you see how many turned up at the Robin event at Headcorn in July, you would have had a full museum.

I'll certainly be at Duxford one way or another this year, assuming I still have my little toy......