PDA

View Full Version : Captains Ring

mad_jock
8th Mar 2009, 18:33
Stolen from a thread in the mil forum.

First we had the epaulette war, silver/gold plated 1-5 bars.

Then we had the flightsuit hangbags at dawn, green/blue or pink.

Now we have the ultimate for ripping the piss item for all pilots.

The captains ring (http://www.aveight.aero/ring.html)

If anyone know's anyone who own's one please out them.

modelman
8th Mar 2009, 18:37
Does it go slack at moments of high drama:E

goatface
8th Mar 2009, 19:07
Is that the same as "Captainslog"? (Trekkies will understand..:p).

bjornhall
8th Mar 2009, 19:26
Zirconium will spontaneously combust at high altitude

Brilliant! :}

'Chuffer' Dandridge
8th Mar 2009, 20:17
I'm glad somebody has copied my thread from the Mil forum to here, it will hopefully achieve a wider audience of ridicule.

Would anyone admit to wearing such a chavvy piece of tat other than those with egos to match?

Stylish it ain't:yuk:

mad_jock
8th Mar 2009, 20:24
I have been trying to see what other ****e they have for sale.

fernytickles
8th Mar 2009, 20:36
Can you purchase a pair, personalized with a big "L" and a big "R"?

PompeyPaul
8th Mar 2009, 20:38
Do they do a signet version ?

IO540
8th Mar 2009, 20:43
These people obviously know the "poser" market well. I am sure they will sell loads. Look at Brietling, etc.

tuscan
8th Mar 2009, 20:59
What the hells wrong with Breitling???? Gotta get me one of those:ok::ok:
Might even wear it on the same hand.......It will go well with my spitfire cufflinks.

Genghis the Engineer
8th Mar 2009, 21:26
Be fair, it's a perfectly reasonable fashion accessory....

.... on anybody who has never been near control of either a ship or aeroplane.

G

BOAC
8th Mar 2009, 21:30
Can you purchase a pair, personalized with a big "L" and a big "R"? - only if you guarantee to get them on the correct hands:)

Where is the half-crown/sixpence adjuster?

XXPLOD
8th Mar 2009, 21:34
I have not laughed at a thread on here that much in ages! Absolutely brilliant.

Only a true weapons grade tool would buy one of those.

What is worrying though, is that some people clearly have...

Lister Noble
8th Mar 2009, 21:37
Nothing new there,many a jolly Jack Tar had the captain's ring in the Senior Service.:)

Blues&twos
8th Mar 2009, 21:51
If you were anorexic you could wear them on each arm instead of epaulettes.

But bloody hell, I cringed so hard when I saw the ad, I nearly turned inside out.

BOAC
8th Mar 2009, 21:54
If anyone know's anyone who own's one please out them. - I hear a rumour Rainboe has at least one - at least the story has a faint ring about it.:rolleyes:

S-Works
8th Mar 2009, 22:07
Is that one of them there c*ck rings?

poss
8th Mar 2009, 22:12
If anyone wants to email them asking what they were thinking when they came up with this idea, heres the email address :
[email protected]

:ugh:

TheGorrilla
9th Mar 2009, 00:34
Think I'll buy four of those rings and make a captains knuckle duster. :}

foxmoth
9th Mar 2009, 07:34
Zirconium will spontaneously combust at high altitude

This will surely be at the same danger level as a bottle of water and security will stop you taking it on the aircraft!:p

BabyBear
9th Mar 2009, 10:17
'and are uniquely personalised with your licence number.'

............and to the of the complaints about id cards.

Will88
9th Mar 2009, 10:36
Stolen from a thread in the mil forum.

First we had the epaulette war, silver/gold plated 1-5 bars.

Then we had the flightsuit hangbags at dawn, green/blue or pink.

Now we have the ultimate for ripping the piss item for all pilots.

The captains ring

If anyone know's anyone who own's one please out them.

Come on now - I think you're just trying to judge opinion before you splash out, Jock.

;)

flybymike
9th Mar 2009, 13:08
Well I think it's really lovely. It'll go nicely with my twinset and pearls...

mad_jock
9th Mar 2009, 14:33
Now Will you know I prefer the hydraulic handle for educating FO's no need for Gorillas knuckle duster idea.

Anyway I have managed to remember to wear my epaulettes for 5 weeks in a row now and haven't lost them once. Mind you with the state of my jumper I could probably send it into work and stay in bed.

TheGorrilla
10th Mar 2009, 00:29
Good idea Jock! Stay in bed with your captains ring.

Billredshoes
10th Mar 2009, 07:40
Dam only 4 rings will not match my 5 gold Bars I wonder if
They will do me a special ???

jxk
10th Mar 2009, 09:58
I would like to purchase a ring as described. But, I have a difficulty in knowing when I would become entitled to wear one! In other words at what level of qualification do I need to obtain before I can call myself a captain? NPPL PPL PRAT etc..

Irony sw to OFF

mad_jock
10th Mar 2009, 11:02
hee hee I have managed to slip the link into a wannabies thread. Wonder how many of them will think its cool.

gsora
10th Mar 2009, 11:21
Does it get bigger or smaller depending on the stress level? :}:}:}

Windy Militant
10th Mar 2009, 13:52
hee hee I have managed to slip the link into a wannabies thread. Wonder how many of them will think its cool.

Och will you never learn M-J That's how the Pink headset fiasco started. :ugh:

Miles Magister
10th Mar 2009, 14:26
I have actually seen one. Whether you like it or not, it is actually nicely made.

batoutofhell
10th Mar 2009, 14:34
the funny thing about it is although we may all laugh i bet it sells.

what was that joke about how do you know if there's a pilot in the room?

hubbs1982
10th Mar 2009, 21:03
I thought the Captain's Log came from the Captain's Ring.

TheGorrilla
11th Mar 2009, 01:02
Does the captains log have his licence number on it?? We spent weeks in the halls of accomodation at traing school trying to find the fantom ****ter! :}

flybymike
11th Mar 2009, 13:18
Ugh...............

Tinstaafl
11th Mar 2009, 23:40
Bit unrealistic I think. As far I can tell it doesn't look anything like my ring.

Will Hung
12th Mar 2009, 12:50
Only a complete ringpiece would wear one of them. Plenty of them around though.

I bet the guy that turns up in military flying suit, boots and gloves to fly a Cherokee has one !!

kalleh
12th Mar 2009, 15:44
Not sure why wearing such a ring would be the subject of such mockery. For example at least here in Sweden many with master degrees in engineering wear a special ring to mark their achievement and also to express pride of their craft. You can think whatever you want about that, but taking pride in what you do is something that is too absent in today's society IMO, with or without rings to show it to your friends and colleagues.

flybymike
12th Mar 2009, 17:59
There is some truth in Kalleh's remarks.

foxmoth
12th Mar 2009, 21:13
Just not British old boy!:=

Smacks too much of boasting!

Nashers
13th Mar 2009, 05:14
wonder if they make them for FO's too....!:}

mad_jock
13th Mar 2009, 07:43
Also as well in the UK Degree Engineers are subjected to video's which can only be described as some of the most horrendous gory safety videos you will ever see.

Lots of ties going into laths, rings getting caught and ripping your finger off, hair getting caught in power shafts, and the one that made me cringe the most someone managing to earth 3 phase across a ring melting said ring and turning the hand into burnt pork.

All backed up by some doctor from Occupational health with pictures from the casualty department of some poor bugga's with thier lives in pieces as the doctors are trying to reconstruct things so they can at least pick thier nose again. And it was a 50/50 if it was the finger or the nose needing the reconstructing.

I know of 3 pilots with fingers ripped off by rings all of them catching thier ring (oo er mrs) as they went arse over tit out of a door or in one case jumping out holding onto the side.

Its why some pilots take thier wedding ring off when they go down route ;) :p

batoutofhell
13th Mar 2009, 11:29
and pilots would never do that :)

Mr Grimsdale
13th Mar 2009, 12:01
TheGorrilla (http://www.pprune.org/members/163528-thegorrilla)
Does the captains log have his licence number on it?? We spent weeks in the halls of accomodation at traing school trying to find the fantom ****ter! http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

You've experienced that guy too? I was in a contract for a well known high street home electronics supplier in 2004 and someone curled one out on the floor of the gents. An email went around that this was unacceptable and that a video camera would be placed outside to record who went in and out and the time. Then in 2005 I was back there and the same thing happened in another building. Then in 2006 I started another contract for a telco that cannot spell phone correctly and within weeks an email was sent out announcing that someone had left a cubicle in an unacceptable condition.

Hmm... I would like to point out none of these instances were caused by me but it seems there's one in every company/institution.

...then there was the kid in school who cr@pped in a urinal, I seem to remember the headmaster was not amused.

Return to topic...

NutLoose
13th Mar 2009, 12:27
Fuunily enough, I got back one evening in the RAF and wondered why the block spin dryer was running at 3 am.... needless to say when I opened the top loader lid it was apparent, took several buckets of water to shift it all............. :ugh:

Another we had a Chief called Ron Cur**y and we had a "phantom," it came to a head when he put his hand in the Swarfega tin in the morning after a tiring night shift to wash his hands and scooped out a jobbie.......:}:}:}

The rest of use were curled up in hysterics.

Mr Grimsdale
13th Mar 2009, 12:46
Phew, proof I am not responsible!:ok:

JasonH
14th Mar 2009, 19:31
Not being proud of oneself or ones achievements - now that is British. I'd go further and say it's an English thing, we can't even celebrate our saint's day. Stiff upper lip, good grief, take some time to examine where you're coming from, this joyless view of life is tiresome. It's getting boring in the UK knocking those who succeed. I agree with our Swedish friend. Achievement is good, be proud, just don't be arrogant.

Oh & no, I don't have one of these rings.

Jas