PDA

View Full Version : Dent and buckle chart

taharbel
7th Mar 2009, 10:06
Hi everybody, i'm looking for reglementation source concerning the document 'Dent and Buckle Chart'
can anyone help me
thank you

Mach E Avelli
7th Mar 2009, 11:35
You don't say what regulations you work under. But most regulations concerning airworthiness of aircraft will have a rule somewhere that says that ALL damage and defects must be reported. The chart you are referring to comes under various names in different countries, but is basically a record of minor damage and minor skin repairs, patches etc. It should be part of your approved maintenance recording system. A very important document when you are accepting an aircraft from a lessor and later when returning it off lease.

captjns
7th Mar 2009, 11:52
Try to get a copy of your company's maintenance reference manual, or general mainteance manual.

gas path
7th Mar 2009, 12:24
The SRM (Structural Repair Manual) will give damage limits for all parts of the structure including composite fairings.

taharbel
8th Mar 2009, 00:21
Thanks a lot to all for the information,
do you know if there is any section of JAR describing the requirements for this document ,
many thanks
I'm flying A320

glhcarl
8th Mar 2009, 03:43
Thanks a lot to all for the information,
do you know if there is any section of JAR describing the requirements for this document ,
many thanks
I'm flying A320

The information is found the individual aircraft's Structural Repair Manual on the "Neglagable Damage Limits" page of each chapter. Every aircraft is different, in fact the allowable limit varies between sections (skins/bulkheads/frames/ribs/etc) of the same aircraft. Therefore, I would doubt there is JAR on the subject and if there is, it would contain little useful infromation.

taharbel
8th Mar 2009, 10:29
Thank you :ok:

AES
8th Mar 2009, 11:06
Taharbel,

There are some good answers above, but I take issue with one point - there IS a requirement that all damage (and repairs thereto) are recorded, as someone has already said. BUT dependant upon the Airworthiness Authority concerned, this record does NOT have to be in the form of the (admittedly common) "Dents & Buckles Chart". For example, JAA did not require such a chart a few years ago (check for today's regs on the JAA & EASA websites if this is your Authority); a "simple list" showing date, STA, detail of damage, SRM manual ref (if damage within limits & repair listed in SRM, or a/c manufacturer Engineering Report & local EO for specific repair if damage outwith limits) would (still will?) meet the JAA requirement.

The basic point about the "Dents & Buckles Chart" is that it is generally speaking a nice and easy way to record & understand all that's happened to an airframe, but dependant upon the Authority concerned, it does NOT have to be the form of a chart. More important is a listing of all repairs and the respective SRM/EO reference, especially if a particular repair is temporary with a time limit on it.

Krgds
AES

AES
8th Mar 2009, 11:12
Taharbel,

As you'll see, just 2 mins before I posted ASFKAP also posted. Clearly we entirely agree with each other (and clearly, we've both "been there, done that!).

You can actually ignore my post from time 12.06 - ASFKAP at time 12.04 is far more detailed.

Krgds
AES

TomU
8th Mar 2009, 12:27
The ASFKAP response is very good and comprehensive. The main problem with "Dent and Buckle Chart is that there is no agreed / legislated format or content.
In my opinion, the primary use for a "Dent and Buckle Chart" is as a line maintenance aid - to be kept with the aircraft Tech Log so that Flight and Ground crew do not keep reporting the same know, allowable, damage.
Back at Base should be the very detailed and comprehensive Repair Records.
With those records, should be a numbered "Repair Map" so that repairs on the aircraft can be matched and located back to the document, and vise-versa. And that should include all internal repairs also (Ribs, frames, pressure bulkheads etc). these can get overlooked - "out of sight, out of mind".
Tom.

TomU
8th Mar 2009, 12:29
Sorry, my post was in productions when ASFKAP second post arrived
Tom.