PDA

View Full Version : IMCR/IR Question

pipertommy
5th Mar 2009, 20:55
Hi,
I wondered if anyone knows where I stand having my IMC rating renewed from my last IR revalidation last May. I revalidated my IR/ME in a sim, would it be possible to have a IMC rating renewed from this until next June(25 months) ? I hold an expired IMC rating so its a case of a signature.

The main point I`m unsure about is the Reval in a SIM? Towards renewing a IMCR a year on?

Thanks

PT.

BrianP
8th Mar 2009, 11:51
UK IMC Rating can be revalidated / renewed by a flight test only, not in a sim. If you do your IR renewal / revalidation in an aircraft (and pass!) a nice examiner would probably also sign off your IMC as well if you wish.

pipertommy
8th Mar 2009, 14:45
Thanks Brian:ok:

homeguard
8th Mar 2009, 17:29
Why would you want the IMCr renewed with the IR. Holding the single pilot IR gives you IMCr privileges?

The IMCr is valid for 25 months from the date of the last IR renewal. Where does it say that the IR renewal has to be done in an aeroplane for that to be so?

pipertommy
8th Mar 2009, 20:32
I have been aiming to get an airline job, until now. I am instructing now and feel that an IMC is good enough for my needs for the coming year. So I plan to renew my ME/IR next May, if things pick up:hmm:

I asked the question about the IMCr as this would save me a renewal flight, my IR expires in May, and I can fill the next 13 month gap with the IMCr, my IMCr expired in 2007(25 months after it issued from initial test) so I just need it signed.

My confusion came from the Sim revalidation last April:confused:

Thanks.

homeguard
8th Mar 2009, 23:02
You hold an IMCr. The matter is the relationship that the IMCr has to the valid IR. There is no mention of how the IR was renewed. So from May, as you say, if you do not renew the IR you will have a valid IMCr for a further 13 months.

If , at the end of the 25 months from your IR renewal you have not once more renewed the IR then you will of course need to renew the IMCr in the normal way. Meanwhile you need nothing signed. Keep your lapsed IR with your licence.

Below is a direct qoute from LASORS. [my italics]

The IMC Rating will be valid for a period of 25 months from the date of the IR(A) skill test and will not need to be revalidated if the IR(A) remains valid.
If the IR(A) lapses for a period exceeding 25 months and no IMC Certificate of Test page has been endorsed, the renewal requirements of Section E3.6 will need to be met to renew the IMC rating.

In simple terms if you are the holder of an IMC rating (which you say you are) each time you renew your IR for 12 months you also renew your IMCr for 25 months.

pipertommy
8th Mar 2009, 23:13
Music to my ears!! Thank you very much for taking the time to answer my query:ok:

PT