PDA

View Full Version : Finding A Flying School

Shiny_Pants
5th Mar 2009, 19:22
Having been interested in gaining my PPL for several years i am now in a position where i can finance flying training and so i'm looking at finding a flying school in and around London as i will be moving there to start a new job within the next couple of months.

Having searched the internet extensively over the past several days i've been overwhelmed with the number of flying schools which offer PPL training.

I also understand that flying schools can differ massively in the quality of training and service they provide. Can anyone reccommend a flying school for me?

I have been looking at Cabair, mainly because of the fact that they are quite a large organisation which could cater for my long term goals in gaining my CPL.

I think it's safe to say that, at the moment, i'm at a complete loss.

julian_storey
5th Mar 2009, 21:45
In my view the choice of airfield and or flying school is very much a secondary consideration to the choice of instructor.

In my experience you will get better value for your money from an experienced, career instructor who's instructing because they enjoy it, than you will from a low hour newbie who is only instructing because they have to until they get enough hours for an airline job.

You're going to be spending quite a bit of money, so do some research, go to a few places, chat to several instructors and go with the one you get on with the best.

Finally, remember that the lowest hourly rate won't necessarily mean the lowest overall cost.

You can choose somewhere else for CPL training further down the line.

Shiny_Pants
6th Mar 2009, 09:27
I've been looking at both Cabair and British Airways Flying Club rcently. Does anyone have any experience of these two flying schools?

ALEXA
6th Mar 2009, 10:36
SP

Haven't been to Cabair for some time, but most of the Instructors at Elstree are relatively young and are looking to move off to the Airlines. That doesn't mean that they are no good, of course.

That's probably true of other Cabair locations.

There were one or two part timers at Elstree who instruct for the love of it (one is an FO with Monarch, the other an Optician) - I have flown with both in the last 12 months and would recommend them. The CFI is a career instructor and examiner, but I've never flown with him.

The optician is also an examiner by the way.

PM me if you want names.

Cabair are, however, not noted for being particularly cheap!

Can't help with BAFC.

But go and have a look round these places and chat to the staff. Don't be shy - it's your cash after all! If there are any students around, offer them a coffee and ask about how it's going and what they think of the instructors.

Alexa

Mickey Kaye
6th Mar 2009, 10:45
Whats the name of the optician - its a small world optics. I might know them.

ALEXA
6th Mar 2009, 10:54
Dave Harrisberg

julian_storey
6th Mar 2009, 12:37
But go and have a look round these places and chat to the staff. Don't be shy - it's your cash after all! If there are any students around, offer them a coffee and ask about how it's going and what they think of the instructors.

This is excellent advice :ok:

bern444
7th Mar 2009, 16:23
Yes - if you are in London there are only half a dozen or so airfields and not that many more training organisations to check out, so go and have a look. A nice day out - a trip to an airfield taking in the atmosphere. Lunch or just a coffee, a chat with the trainers, and on to the next. Fun in itself, and the best way to find out. As a prospective client, people will be very nice to you.

Just don't agree to pay for a block of flying up front - bad things have happened in the past when clubs have gone bust, and now is sadly a bad time for any business.

B

civil aviation
8th Mar 2009, 20:04
The problem with that is they you won't give any discount or commitment on your training schedule because you won't commit ! You must choose a FTO with a track-record (such as decades under same ownership) and you may protect yourself by paying with a credit card but, again, more expensive. Other than that, it is impossible to say- there have been spectacular failures of both club and commercial FTO's. Also, some 'clubs' are actually commercial or the training is the CFI's private business. Even in a genuine club, you have to pay joining fees/subs. and, as a student, you are just a one vote nobody even if the Committee let you attend any meetings.

On the other point I agree- only consider CPL and where to go if/after you become a private pilot. The other factors are money and time.

A JAA PPL and night rating, including all the extras, at a London area FTO cannot be cheap- (avg £8k ?. -much more at some sexy schools). It will, also, take you many months to achieve and can be extremely frustrating when you are cancelled because of weather, lack of instructor, aircraft unavailable etc. The obvious alternative is a 4 week course at a JAA FTO in Florida which would probably cost around £5k including accommodation. You would have to factor in the air fare of up to £500 but, on the other hand and unless you are round the corner, the real cost of getting to and from an airfield in UK 50+ times must be c. £500, if not more Also, in the UK, you will definitely have to devote hundreds of hours to travel, training, study, waiting around etc. which equates to more than the month away.

The Florida JAA PPL course option is not suitable for those who have to save up for every lesson or who cannot get-away from wife, work etc. but has been a well-known, cheaper and successful method for thousands of Brits.
As regulars know, my research suggests Ormond Beach Aviation - JAA PPL USA UK Flight Training USA, Daytona Beach, Ormond Beach, Orlando, naples, FL,Florida specializing in JAA JAR PPL,airplane training,IMC,Night,Multi,FAA,Radio licence, JAA ATPL,professional pilot program (http://www.flyoba.com) but there are several other JAA FTO's in Florida on which I cannot comment.

Wherever you go, GET LIST OF COSTS IN WRITING beforehand and 'full details of all extras inc. surcharges' (for which some FTO's are notorious).
Lastly, don't believe any promises about future employment prospects (with airlines or as an instructor) if you choose the FTO making such a promise.

Newflyer123
9th Mar 2009, 14:31
hi,
How can you choose an instructor? Is it not the school who would pick one for you.

I am 18 and want to start flying in Perth. I think there is only one flying shcool. where would I get in touch with other students who have trained there? so that I can see which insturctors and the most popular.

I could also go to Dundee or Cumbernauld but perth is the nearest.

Newflyer123

ALEXA
9th Mar 2009, 15:02

I'd suggest that you telephone the school - say you'd like to pop in to talk about taking lessons for your PPL and that you'd like to speak to an instructor. They'll probably tell you to come in any time.

And also say that you'd like to speak to a student when you pop in - there should be one or two just strarting or finishing a lesson if you are at the school for any length of time when you visit - unless the weather is pants that day. That gives you the chance to ask one whether he/she has ten minutes for a chat.

Don't be shy about asking! We all love the hobby and are all too happy to give anyone who is prepared to listen the benefit of our (in)experience.

If you feel that the school is not helpful or friendly in any way - check out the competition.

And in any case, most schools have no difficulty in arranging a change of instructor if you don't feel comfortable with the one you start with - whether it's a personality issue or a progress issue - it happens all the time, so you shouldn't be concerned about it.

And don't forget - if you don't get on with the school, you can always move elsewhere - your training records go with you - you are not stuck with the same school for ever.

Alexa

140KIAS
9th Mar 2009, 17:53
Finally, remember that the lowest hourly rate won't necessarily mean the lowest overall cost.

Very true, you need to take into account any other mandatory costs which might include Flying Club Membership, Insurance and Landing Fees.

Some schools charge for landing fees, some don't, this can amount to a significant additional cost.

I could also go to Dundee or Cumbernauld but perth is the nearest.

There's also Fife Airport at Glenrothes, run by the same folks as the school at Dundee but more PPL/leisure focussed. Worth checking out if you are looking at the others

stickandrudderman
9th Mar 2009, 18:49
In London I'd highly recommend The Pilot Centre at Denham.
Nice atmosphere, career instructors and I believe a new cafe has just opened, something Denham desperately needs.
I trained with Cabair at Denham and whilst the instructors were perfectly fine and I had no particular complaints, once I'd gained my PPL I was a virtual outcast.

smarthawke
9th Mar 2009, 19:24
I can assure you that you'll be most welcome to come and have a guided tour of the British Airways Flying Club (http://www.bafc.co.uk/) - just PM me and let me know when you want to visit - engineering department included!

As others have said, be very careful of hidden costs (one company mentioned is very good at hiding 'extras'), be it membership, landing fees or fuel surcharges. Don't forget to get a look at the actual aircraft you'll be flying, you may find some are better kept than others...

News Shooter
9th Mar 2009, 19:51
+1 on finding the instructor being the more important thing.
This was a long time ago in the States, but Cessna used to have a $5 for your first lesson promotion. So one day I pulled in.

The instructor du jour (a frustrated airline pilot wannabe) was a jerk. We took off and climbed to a couple thousand feet and he showed me how to make a left turn around a point using a barn. OK, not problem, I'm now focusing on the barn and making the left turn and it suddenly dawns on me that the barn is getting bigger and bigger. I looked over and this guy was sound asleep. I poked him in the ribs and he woke up with a screaming obscenity and grabbed the stick.

We went back and landed and I left that place forever. My next instructor was fantastic. Former Navy F-14 jock. I really learned

crjlover
9th Mar 2009, 21:16
What do you think about the wycombe air centre?