PDA

View Full Version : FI Renewal

andrepilota
4th Mar 2009, 21:20
Hi all,

I'm looking for a place (anywhere in the world really)where I can renew my FI rating,which expired in NOV 2006.

I've sent a few emails to some FTOs in the states but I'm still waiting for a reply.
Also,on the web I've found a renewal seminar thru ontrack aviation in the UK,and at the moment I haven't looked into spain or other location.

Main question is:I have an italian issued JAA licence(CPL IR) but I've been living in Holland for the last 6 years,am I allowed to do the renewal SEMINAR in one country (UK) then do the check ride in holland and then,finally,have all the papers signed off by the italian authority (provided I do what they want back in italy),or is there any restriction as to where and with whom to do seminar+check ride -since I don't have the 200 hrs instructional- ?

Does anyone have some good tips or info to get this done?

Thanks to all

Gio

PS:I'd like to apologize in case I'm opening a new thread,I've had a look around but didn't do a thourough search on the forum

Whopity
5th Mar 2009, 07:51
In theory you can do the renewal elements in any JAA State however, in practice this may be a little different. In the UK you will receive a signature on an Instructor Form 3 http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1135FF.pdf for the Seminar, then you will need another signature from a FIE for a FI test who in theory can sign your FI Rating (well if it was issued in the UK) but not necessarily an Italian one. So the paperwork may have to go to the DGAC in Italy. Alternatively, you should check with the DGAC what they require, their paperwork may be quite different and they may require it on their forms.

Regarding the FI test, you may find that in the UK it bears no resemblance to anything you have done in Italy. Try reading this document: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Stds%20Doc%2010%20v5%2009%20+%20Supplement%20v1.pdf
My advice is stick to meeting all the requirements in one State that is acceptable to the DGAC.

DeltaT
26th May 2009, 06:19
Kick on the thread.

Anyone else find FI refreasher seminars anywhere in JAR land?
Ireland, Belgium, Spain? Everyone can't be going to just AOPA or Ontrack!

Whats the going FEE for the FI renewal flight test at the moment?

Does anything special have to be done for a FI rating over 5yrs old, though current on another ICAO license? Yes, have emailed caa, still waiting on a reply.

Whopity
26th May 2009, 07:24
The CAA provide a document so you can look it up for yourself http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%20H%20-%20INSTRUCTOR%20RATINGS.pdf
Page 9 (RENEWAL).
Test + Seminar within 12 month period. If rating expired by more that 5 years send to issuing authority to have it re-issued. Other ICAO rating has no relevance. If its well over 5 years additional training may be required, also, if FI rating completed in another JAA State it would be advisable to ensure you are in tune with way its done in the State where you are being tested (They can be quite different)

FI Test fee currently £200 in the UK.

DeltaT
26th May 2009, 10:38
Whopity, thanks for your reply. Indeed the CAA do provide useful documents, and having read it myself there is nothing in the Lasors about all the places in the EU that provide the FI Refresher courses, and thus I asked that question. Same as the person that started this thread.

There is nothing said with regard to being current on another ICAO FI rating. There is only mention for the initial conversion of a ICAO FI and doing half a JAR course. Compare the situation with if you have another ICAO valid IR, the 5yrs clock can go from that. So again I thought I might ask on that one.

Thanks for the info re the current flight test fee, and I can also add for anyone reading this in the future that there is a £84 CAA fee too for re-issue when lapsed by 5yrs.

DeltaT
26th May 2009, 11:26
Well well well

Here you go people, you can thank me later.
The gem of information quite a few have all been looking for, and hopefully will find this in searches for time to come.

A FI Refresher Seminar by these people in Ireland is run on a ADHOC basis.

Yes thats right, when they have at least 3-4 people they run a course. Maximum fee around, and I mean just roughly a max 300Euro.
*The more that attend, then the fee comes down accordingly*

National Flight Centre - Home (http://www.nfc.ie)

Nothing specific relating to it on the website, but I just called them to obtain this information as above.
Seems they don't need some 25 odd people to break even!

Yes I realise airfare etc on top compared to doing it in UK and the price is a little more expensive for a smaller group, but for some it can be worth it rather than waiting 1-3 months for the next course in UK.