PDA

View Full Version : ICAO Requirments

kuwait340
28th Feb 2009, 20:59
Hello...

in our company, switching on the landing lights/nose lights is done in 2 parts..(new SOP)

-if only cleared to line up and wait, the landing lights will set to the OFF position(i.e extended only).

-once cleared for T/O, the landing lights will be switched on + nose light will selected to T.O position

our previous SOP was to select all light ON when entering the RWY even if not cleared for T/O.

they are saying it is ICAO requirment...

is there any way to have a look at these ICAO requirments ?

i did search the net, but found nothing.

any help please.

Sepp
28th Feb 2009, 23:43
It is hugely common practice to only switch on the landing lights when cleared for t/o. It gives a very clear indication that you are about to, or shortly will, commit. Ditto on landing.

afaik it isn't an ICAO requirement, but it is mentioned in ICAO Doc 9870/AN 463 (2006), according to this source http://www.ibac.org/Files/Safety/preventing_runway_incursions.pdf see para 6.3.11

BelArgUSA
1st Mar 2009, 01:29
KWI340 -
xxx
This is done just about everywhere. ICAO or not.
If you cross an active runway, it is difficult to see if the plane is waiting for you to cross.
Landing lights ON means "cleared for takeoff AND ROLLING".
xxx
The only place this procedure is not observed, is in the USA.
FAA recommends to put ALL LIGHTS ON when cleared onto the runway (even to wait for takeoff).
Their justification is "to be seen by landing airplanes".
xxx
When crossing runways at US airports, I always asked to confirm that the airplane is WAITING.
I like most of what the US/FAA does recommend, except this one.
xxx
:ok:
Happy contrails

Spooky 2
1st Mar 2009, 13:13
BelArgUSA, I think if you look at AC120-74A (page 15) you will find that the FAA has taken a fairly strong position on the use of landing and strobe lights when taking the runway and commensing the takeoff roll. It does not recomend turning on the landing lights when taking the runway, but rather when the takeoff roll begins or at least that's the wayread it. Sorry as I do not know how to copy a PDF file to the post but never the less, it has been covered in this document.:ok:

rigpiggy
1st Mar 2009, 13:26
Straight from the FAA edited for length
USE OF EXTERIOR AIRCRAFT LIGHTS TO MAKE AIRCRAFT MORE CONSPICUOUS.
b. Exterior Lights. To the extent possible and consistent with aircraft equipage, operating limitations, and flightcrew procedures, pilots should illuminate exterior lights as follows:
(1) Engines Running. Turn on the rotating beacon whenever an engine is running.
(2) Taxiing. Prior to commencing taxi, turn on navigation, position, anti-collision, and logo lights, if available. To signal intent to other pilots, consider turning on the taxi light when the aircraft is moving or intending to move on the ground, and turning it off when stopped, yielding, or as a consideration to other pilots or ground personnel. Strobe lights should not be illuminated during taxi if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots or ground personnel.
(3) Crossing a Runway. All exterior lights should be illuminated when crossing a runway.
CAUTION: Flightcrews should consider any adverse effects to safety that illuminating the forward facing lights will have on the vision of other pilots or ground personnel during runway crossings.
(4) Entering the departure runway for takeoff or “position and hold.” When entering a runway either for takeoff, or when taxiing into “position and hold,” flightcrews should make their aircraft more conspicuous to aircraft on final behind them and to ATC by turning on lights (except for landing lights) that highlight the aircraft’s silhouette. Strobe lights should not be illuminated if they will adversely affect the vision of other pilots.
Page 14 Par 7
9/26/03 AC 120-74A (5) Takeoff. Turn on landing lights when takeoff clearance is received, or when commencing takeoff roll at an airport without an operating control tower.
NOTE: The SOP of turning on landing lights when takeoff clearance is received is a signal to other pilots, ATC, and ground personnel that the aircraft is moving down the runway for takeof

BelArgUSA
1st Mar 2009, 18:08
Spooky - rigpiggy -
xxx
Thanks a bunch - dont have access to all my books any longer.
Last time I had checked - nearly 10 years ago, was all lights.
Glad they have somewhat changed their procedure. Almost like ICAO.
Last time flying to Miami, 4 months ago, I was still asking "verify holding position".
Just retired, will no longer terrorize the US airspace traffic any longer.
xxx
:8
Happy contrails

kuwait340
1st Mar 2009, 18:41
Hi !

i would like to thank you all for the great inputs.

it is now very clear to me.

many thanks.

radical_100
13th Mar 2012, 15:15
Was just looking for information on this topic when I stumbled on this thread. Thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Found another (http://www2.icao.int/en/RunwaySafety/Toolkits/ICAO_manual_prev_RI.pdf) reference to this.

6.3.10 All aircraft lights should be used to help
controllers and other pilots to see the aircraft.
Fixed navigation lights and taxi lights should be on
whenever the aircraft is moving. Landing lights should
be turned on when cleared for take-off.I think given all this information,

1. When crossing an active runway, turn on ALL lights
2. If entering a runway for the purpose of taking-off, then LDG LGTs come on when cleared & rolling.