PDA

View Full Version : Replacing a logbook?

HR200
25th Feb 2009, 11:44
Hi Guys,

I have a question, I have been going through my logbook which to be honest doesn't look too neat and has a few mistakes.

I am wanting to purchase another logbook and re-write it as I have a correct copy on my computer using SkyLog.

Is this allowed from a CAA viewpoint?

Regards,

HR200 (Andrew)

BackPacker
25th Feb 2009, 11:59
It's probably allowed. The CAA only specifies that you have to keep a log, somehow, of your hours, and some breakdown of those hours. But it doesn't specify that you cannot record it in two or three places, or something like that.

However, doesn't your logbook contain endorsements from instructors, signatures from examiners, stamps from flight schools and that sort of thing? They're going to be very hard to replace.

Personally I would not bother. A somewhat messy logbook is a sign that you've lived!

nick14
25th Feb 2009, 12:00
Difficulty might come with the signatures and stamps that are in your old one. If you don't have any then its no problem, if you do you might need to ge them redone (if possible)

Why not just start a new one, thats what I did, my PPL logbook is tatty, have one for my CPL training and now one for my airline flying.

Nick

HR200
25th Feb 2009, 12:02
It only has 1 signature, I think you are correct I can probably just change it, I haven't been able to see anything anywhere that says I cannot.

The main problem and concern is I have realised I have logged some flights incorrectly. In other words I have logged a check flight as P1/s and 'In-command' time, realising that it should be P.u/t and dual time.

flightlevel1985
25th Feb 2009, 12:12
The tipex mice are good for changing that :ok:

airborne_artist
25th Feb 2009, 12:40
The main problem and concern is I have realised I have logged some flights incorrectly. In other words I have logged a check flight as P1/s and 'In-command' time, realising that it should be P.u/t and dual time.

Just slice out a page at the back, enter the correct details, and stick over the top of the page. Use Sticky Pritt :ok:

Been there, done that :E

Duchess_Driver
25th Feb 2009, 12:57
But I would hazzard a guess that the P1 and U/T columns on subsequent pages are all askew - therefore needing alot of correction fluid.

Without knowing how many flights/hours involved it's difficult to comment, but I did a similar exercise once I had made the decision to go commercial. Took a while, but eventually got round to see most of the instructors/examiners who 're-signed' where appropriate.

For a while I carried the old copy as well to verify if requried, but never was asked to prove it.

Checkboard
25th Feb 2009, 13:30
A pristine, re-written logbook could expose you to allegations of dishonestly logging hours.

julian_storey
25th Feb 2009, 13:53
The tipex mice are good for changing that

My logbook looks neat almost entirely because of the Tippex Mice. It's essential kit in any pilot's flight case :D

BackPacker
25th Feb 2009, 15:33

Just a suggestion.

How about not tippex-ing out anything but adding a note to these entries along the lines of "incorrect - see page XX". Probably in a different color pen so you can see that that note was added later.

And the on page XX, line 1, you copy over the (incorrect) totals that were listed on the bottom of page XX-1, then add negative/positive entries correcting your original errors on subsequent lines, tally them up so you have proper total numbers, and carry on forward with correct numbers from then on.

This is how bookkeepers have corrected wrong entries in their ledgers for ages.

liam548
25th Feb 2009, 15:42
After only a few pages I realised Id made mistakes. Adding up then hours and what to put where.

I therefore purchased another one and wrote it out again in neat without any mistakes. I now use the original when I go flying and re enter it when I get home. So the one at home should remian mistake free.. in theory.

If you have filled a book though it will be very time consuming!!

HR200
1st Mar 2009, 22:08
Sorry for the delay in replying.

Thanks to some of your comments I decided to buy another logbook, more a commercial one as I will be going for my CPL.

I have just over 135 hours so re-write a page a day for 2 weeks or so, lol.

cats_five
2nd Mar 2009, 08:31
The only way I can get the hours right is to do it in Excel...