PDA

View Full Version : The PPL

sushiking
22nd Feb 2009, 20:55
Hi guys

I just started with my PPL in Fairoaks (only the theory)

And i was planing to do the flying elsewhere, e.i States, Spain (Requena or Jerez) Or last but not least UK anywere near Woking. Does anybody knows a good place where to do the flying? Taking in consideration both, cost and quality. What do you think guys about Fairoaks (Surrey)?

I would really appreciate any advice,

Kind Regards

bern444
22nd Feb 2009, 21:05
Well, I learned to fly at Cranfield, Leavesden and Denham, as companies failed. Now I fly from Fairoaks, and have done these 15 years. It seems as good a place as any to learn to me. It isn't about airfields anyway, it's about the people .

B

UlrichVW
22nd Feb 2009, 22:48
Given the choice ( and cashflow ) I'd stay in the UK. Its better to learn in the environment you're going to fly in once qualified, especially if thats going to be around the busy London TMA! :eek:

sushiking
23rd Feb 2009, 01:48
Thanks Ulrich and bern

I think you may be right. I believe that doing the flying in the States or Spain It would be much cheapper as well as 100% good weather. However, I also believe that i would get much more experience here in the UK with regards (weather and RT) :ok: plus on the other hand i would end up expending money in acomodation, transportation and flights. Dont you think so?

Another question guys.

Based on your experience, after i finish all the written exams. How long would you recon it could take me to obtain the license bearing in mind the WEATHER??

BackPacker
23rd Feb 2009, 08:44
as well as 100% good weather.

Don't bet on it. Spain, Florida, California and Canada all have their seasons with bad weather although generally the weather is easier to predict, both short and long term, than UK weather. Pick the right period if you decide to go abroad.

i would end up expending money in acomodation, transportation and flights.

Yes but that's normally offset by substantially lower flying costs. Do the calculation.

How long would you recon it could take me to obtain the license bearing in mind the WEATHER??

This greatly depends on your time and attitude.

If you go for an intensive course like the ones abroad it is doable in three weeks, assuming good weather and approximately three hours flying per day. And since you do nothing but flying training day in day out, you can expect to be ready for your exam by the time you've got about 40-45 hours.

On the other hand, if you pick a fixed one-hour timeslot on Saturday at your local airport, with no option of moving it to another day if the weather is bad, or the aircraft/instructor not available, you'll probably need a year and a half to two years, and maybe something like 60 hours in total. You can forget a lot of things, and lose a lot of motor skills, when you don't fly for three-four consecutive weeks because of the weather.

If you want to do a part-time course quickly, make sure you're flexible and your instructor is too. As soon as the weather looks nice, take two hours off work, phone up the instructor and go fly. Don't plan on a once-a-week fixed timeslot.

JimA_UK
23rd Feb 2009, 15:55
Hi,

I went to Jerez (Fly In Spain), to complete my PPL due to the poor weather in the UK. I was promised english instructor, good access to Cessna 172's and 4 hours flying each day. The reality was different:-

Only one english instructor available.
Only one 172 available.
Instructor had 4 students to teach each day.
Did not get anywhere close to finishing my PPL although I was there for a fortnight! It also cost me a fortune.

There was also a fuel strike that lasted several days, and on one occassion we flew to Seville to get some fuel. The Spanish do not use QFE either so you have to calculate it.

Not a happy experience. You also have to get a security pass to gain access to the apron this takes days not hours.

Each time you fly you have to fax two forms off prior to flight. A Flight Plan and a Security Clearance to Security - a bit of a pain.

On my return I completed my PPL in the UK and have had it for nearly two years - so they may have improved.

bern444
23rd Feb 2009, 19:46
" How long would you reckon it could take me to obtain the license bearing in mind the WEATHER??"

I think a year is (very) reasonably average. Depends enormously or your availablity, the aicraft availabilty, the weather, etc etc..... Since you're in the Fairoaks area, why not pop into LTFC and ask one of the instructors/examiners. They would know much better than me.

B

sushiking
24th Feb 2009, 10:00
Absolutely bern

Well guys, thanks to all of you for your point of views! It is more clear now.:ok:

Lister Noble
24th Feb 2009, 10:12
Took me 53 hrs in the UK over 10 months flying, 3 days per week weather permitting.
Instructor reckoned that max 2 hrs flying per day was enough, combined the with pre flight briefings and post flight debriefings.
Weather is the contraining influence, but at least you learn in conditions you will have when you get your licence.
Lister

nick14
24th Feb 2009, 10:15
45 hours and 9 weeks in the UK in 2005.

I was fortunate to have only 2 cancelled (due wx) days and flew around 4 days a week.

Brilliant fun!

Nick

sushiking
25th Feb 2009, 12:58
Well, the plan was to get the license by June or July if possible. So lets just keep fingers crossed and hopefully weŽll have a good wether !!:ok:

gokak
2nd Mar 2009, 15:01
Hi to everyone,
What would you say for 11,000 $ for PPL without accomodation...Do you consider this as cheap, so so or expensive..

julian_storey
2nd Mar 2009, 15:32
What would you say for 11,000 $ for PPL without accomodation...Do you consider this as cheap, so so or expensive..

If you're talking an FAA PPL, then I'd say that's on the expensive side.

IO540
2nd Mar 2009, 15:39
For a JAA PPL, the least-time and least-money way would be the (one) JAA school in southern California. Florida does not guarantee good weather.

For an FAA PPL, Arizona must be very hard to beat. I did my IR there (Phoenix) and they have 363 flying days each year.

gokak
2nd Mar 2009, 15:56
So there is this FAA and JAA stuff to be considered...
is there any price difference between two... And I am talking about FAA...(11,000 $)
After FAA can you convert it to JAA easily...

Thanks,

gokak
2nd Mar 2009, 16:07
For a JAA PPL, the least-time and least-money way would be the (one) JAA school in southern California. Florida does not guarantee good weather.

For an FAA PPL, Arizona must be very hard to beat. I did my IR there (Phoenix) and they have 363 flying days each year.

Could you please name the flight schools, you have attendant in phoenix and in california for JAA...

Thanks,