PDA

View Full Version : PPL considering going onto CPL???

IDLWITB
19th Feb 2009, 19:37
hello everyone,

I hear conflicting comments!

In my Log book my instructor told me that solo time prior to achieving my PPL licence were not to be considered P1 yet my examiner told me on the day of the test that it should be considered as P1.

Can someone also clarify, does one require an IMC rating before commencing CPL as I got a quote from a FTO outling entry requirements for CPL course?:ugh:

Can someone on here clarify this please.

Many thanx in advance..........

sm

flightlevel1985
19th Feb 2009, 19:46
Well put it this way, I had 14 hours P1 when I got my PPL issued. My logbook has been to the CAA twice now and nobody has said anything ...

And no you dont need an IMC to start your CPL. It might be useful for the IR I suppose, but I didnt have one and it didnt hinder me.

julian_storey
19th Feb 2009, 19:49
1) Any time during which you are in command of the aircraft (ie. not with your instructor) you can log as P1.

2) No need to have an IMC first although the hours involved in getting one will all go towards the minimum you need for CPL issue and the skills you learn will come in useful a little later on.

Whirlygig
19th Feb 2009, 19:49
that solo time prior to achieving my PPL licence were not to be considered P1Well, if you weren't in command, who the **** was??? :}

Of course P1 solo time during PPL counts towards your total P1 hours required; your instructor is wrong and your examiner is right (I'm glad it's that way round).

Cheers

Whirls

madgav
20th Feb 2009, 07:53
Interesting.

After my first solo I was advised to log Pu/t for solo hours pre-PPL, and to enter PIC as 'SELF'.
The implication being (I assume) that even though I was in command of the aircraft I was still under the supervision of an instructor who happened to be on the ground.

Have I been wrongly advised? :confused:

Where did you do your PPL training IDLWITB?

Gav.

mad_jock
20th Feb 2009, 08:59
Whats more worrying is there is yet another FI out there who obviously doesn't know his arse from his elbow when it comes to his air law.

Edited to add WTF with that last post.

If yours is the only bum in the plane you are PIC it goes in the PIC it is not dual training. How the hell do these people make it through there FIC's . Or is it that we have FII's out there that don't know their arse from there elbows.

nick14
20th Feb 2009, 09:08
If that is the case then how do you get the required 10 hours PIC for licence issue??

Surely the Instructors have CPLs??

N

Canuck Spin
21st Feb 2009, 10:13
All the above is correct but just to add (and not in defence/as an excuse of any incorrect information you were given) there are some specific times when you can't log P1 prior to PPL issue...IMC application forms are an example I believe (SRG Form 1125).

It doesn't stop it being valid PiC in any other way though.

jamestkirk
21st Feb 2009, 10:57
I once had a chap pop into the flying school who said that his FI said he cannot go solo until he has GOT IN HIS HAND an RT licence.

DaveD
21st Feb 2009, 12:28
That's a load of rubbish. PPL first solo must have complete either Met or Nav exam passed, might even be both of them, but it wasn't for me. I passed my MET and took my solo at 7 hours... at the end of the day, you're only taking off, doing 1 circuit and landing again..

Whirlygig
21st Feb 2009, 12:43
PPL first solo must have complete either Met or Nav exam passed,
Nope. No requirement to have passed anything (except Class 2 medical) before first solo. Some schools may stipulate some exams passes before first solo (my school asked for air law which is more common) but that is their own internal rule in order to ensure that a student is progressing with the theory. There is no mandatory requirement though.

Cheers

Whirls

airborne_artist
21st Feb 2009, 13:17
that is their own internal rule in order to ensure that a student is progressing with the theory

Or possibly it is stipulated by their insurers?

DaveD
21st Feb 2009, 13:18
My mistake, I did actually mean Airlaw instead of Nav.

Shunter
21st Feb 2009, 17:05
You don't need ANY exams passed. That's the policy of individual schools.

As far as the P1 goes, I've never heard something so ridiculous in my life. You log P1 and either put SELF or YOURSURNAME as PIC. Any instructor telling you to log solo time as PUT is an idiot.