PDA

View Full Version : GPS Handset

Rugbyears
18th Feb 2009, 15:06
I am looking for a cheap colour GPS hand set to ideally fit in the flight bag and keep as a back up.

Can someone suggest model, alternatively, a used set - sellers please PM me!

r44flyer
18th Feb 2009, 15:54
You could consider a Navigo (4.3" screen) with MemoryMap CAA maps. It's an automotive based device, and it's basic, but will cost you under £100 for something that will fix your position on a half-mil map for you.

172driver
18th Feb 2009, 16:22
Garmin GPS 96c. Yours for about 300 quid from the usual suspects.

dublinpilot
18th Feb 2009, 17:19
You could buy something like this. (http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Mio-DigiWalker-C320-GPS-System-MP3-4-3-Widescreen_W0QQitemZ300294743515QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Devic es?hash=item300294743515&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1199%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 %7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50) In case the link doesn't work, it's a Mio 320B for $98 on ebay. (No idea of the seller, just thee Mio320). The screens are excellent and very daylight readable, and come with a mount, and power adapter.

Add to it, either
a) a pocketfms one year subscription for €150, and always be uptodate, or
b) or a PocketFMS Fusion licence (which doesn't need to be renewed annually) for €270.

Worldwide maps and data, 6 months updates, lifetime weather, and 6 months weather+

dp

Rugbyears
18th Feb 2009, 18:49
Some excellent ideas, thank you!:ok:

Canuck Spin
18th Feb 2009, 18:59
I'd be very interested to hear how Pocket FMS compares with the likes of a Garmin 96c...in the market myself and read plenty of opinions from a couple of years ago about mobile phones/pdas etc. being too flakey to run Pocket FMS as anything other than a backup GPS but would prefer an all-in-one type solution a pda/phone might offer.

Counting down the time until the iphone offers a workable aviation-style GPS!

dublinpilot
19th Feb 2009, 10:22
I'd be very interested to hear [...] being too flakey to run Pocket FMS as anything other than a backup GPS but would prefer an all-in-one type solution a pda/phone might offer.

Phones/PDA etc are just like computers. Use it for one thing and they are very good, consistant and reliable. When you start to install multiple programs, and use the device for lots of different functions then things start to go wrong.

Personally I don't recommond running PFMS on a phone, though many people do. They generally aren't designed for software like PFMS. Some problems are irregular screen shapes, small screens, no touch screen, and slower processors.

On the other hand PDA's which are not used for multiple functions...go get it and just put PFMS onto it, tend to work very well, and are very reliable.

Car Sat Nav's in my experience are the most reliable. Not all are compatable, but the ones that are work very well. I'm a beta tester for PFMS, and as such am constantly using versions that are under development as we try to get the bugs out. Even with beta versions, locks ups are almost non existant on a car sat nav. (I use the Mio C320 linked to above).

The big advantage is the cost of updating the units over a Garmin (software constantly updated, so you don't have to buy new hardware), having constantly up to date data, and having worldwide data (so you can easily bring it on holidays).

I would generally avoid phones, unless you've seen it running on one that you are happy with.

dp

flyme273
19th Feb 2009, 11:31
Garmin 60. I have a Garmin 60 for this purpose and am very pleased with it. Cost was around £150 but probably cheaper now. Nice large screen and with multi keys, easy to use. I choose for the black and white version for longer battery life - I don't view colour as adding to the function. :O

flyme

Rightbase
20th Feb 2009, 20:08
FWIW I too chose a black and white display. Better visibility when I need the sun to be in the wrong place, and better battery life. But my requirement spec was very basic (to tell me which way I am going, which way I should be going, and how far I still have to go - basically a backup to ADF, DI/compass, VOR, DME)

But each to his own - and I suspect black and white is not so easy to get now!

Canuck Spin
21st Feb 2009, 10:20
Thanks DublinPilot - I guess that pretty much sums up what I was worried about so into the realms of a stand-alone GPS/modded-car-sat-nav...

I had a look on the infamous-ebay for the Garmin 60 as recommended above. It says that it is for hiking etc. but can have maps uploaded via sd card - would this make the unit usable with jeppeson or would it just be e.g. memorymap style CAA chart overlays?

Sorry for all the added-questions to the thread but guess I want to be sure of getting the right unit for what I want and don't know anyone with one to try/look at.

bellend
21st Feb 2009, 13:47
I own the CAA memory maps1:500000 and from what I have been told you cannot export this map to use on a GPS, the only thing you can do is connect a GPS to the laptop and then view your position. Anybody knows different then I would be very interested to know how it can be done, I am GPS less at the mo and looking to get myself kitted up again. FWIW stay away from Lowrance !

batninth
21st Feb 2009, 15:31
FWIW stay away from Lowrance !

Why? I've got the 600C and it's ok for what I want. If you want the full Garmin experience then pay the money & get one, but as a simple device the Lowrance does what it says on the tin.

I admit the map availabilty is poor if you want more detail on the screen (a la Garmin) but I have the map on my knee & only use the GPS for waypoints.

bellend
21st Feb 2009, 15:57
Had an airmap 1000, couldnt get any warranty repair done in UK unit had to go to USA as international repair twice costing $200, 3 months later same fault wont power up, was less than impressed, out of warranty now and in the bin, waste of hard earned dosh, my advice is go with Garmin.

DavidHoul52
21st Feb 2009, 16:03
I have a Garmin Nuvu sat-nav. Works very well in the air although I can't load the CAA chart. But you can see names of towns, roads etc. You can zoom out to a suitable scale and the map doesn't try and zoom in again like it does when you're driving a route.

As my main nav tool I print out the Memory Map CAA charts to a bigger scale and put them in a plastic folder display file in the order in which I am flying. (Using the laminated CAA charts I tend to take 2 - 3 seconds just finding the part of the chart I need - very frustrating).

srobarts
21st Feb 2009, 16:41
I own the CAA memory maps1:500000 and from what I have been told you cannot export this map to use on a GPS

You can export the Memory-Map maps to a Pocket PC with GPS. Any Windows Mobile (2003, 5 or 6) based system phone or PDA will support Memory-Map. I have my 1:25,000 OS maps on a Mio P550 for walking, works well but the acquisition of sats at startup is a tad slow. Screen shows the CAA 1:250,000 7miles x 10 miles at a readable resolution.

Shunter
21st Feb 2009, 17:11
Personally I'd steer away from the cheaper Garmins. They're so small it's ridiculous. For the money a Bendix Av8or is one of the best choices on the market.

We have a SkyMap 3 for VFR flying (£450, eBay) and frankly it stomps all over the Garmins, although if you're hiring and need to constantly remove it from the aircraft it might be a touch on the large side.

I don't have a particular problem with Garmin - I'm in the verge of buying a stack of their stuff for my panel, just that their low-end products are pants.

If you're really scraping the barrel money-wise, as mentioned you can get a cheapo car job running Windows CE (Crap Edition), put memory map on it and buy the CAA charts. It'll tell you where you are, but not a right lot more than that.

White Bear
23rd Feb 2009, 00:11
Look for a good used Garmin 295. It’s a bit heavy on batteries but if you can provide external power then it’s a fine piece of kit.
Regards,
White Bear.