PDA

View Full Version : Cut off shirttail after first solo - Just an American tradition?

Rasco
17th Feb 2009, 14:39
As mentioned above, is it only in america they do this? And how common is this nice tradition nowadays? :)

Cheers!

julian_storey
17th Feb 2009, 15:26
I've only ever seen this in the States. I know of several flight schools over there with walls covered in severed shirt tails.

The tradition comes from the days of noisy tandem (as opposed to side by side) training aircraft where the instructor would have to tug on the shirt tails of the student sitting in front of him to attract their attention.

Here the student is expected to buy beer for his instructor ;)

flyingfemme
17th Feb 2009, 15:37
Yes - old American tradition. The school I trained with wrote the date, aircraft tail number and CFI number on the back then cut it off. They were pinned on the wall.

It was not considered PC to disrobe a female in public like that so I didn't get mine done............I was caught sunbathing later and the details were written on my bare back with black marker before being photographed!

Rasco
17th Feb 2009, 16:06
That sounds like some good aviation memories right there Flyingfemme :ok:

Isn't there any similar, or other, traditions that we apply here in the JAA-states? Otherwise I'll come up with a new one this summer... Suggestions? :)

Ultranomad
17th Feb 2009, 16:11
Traditions differ from country to country. In Czech Republic, you get a kick in the butt (maybe even from every instructor who happens to catch you). In Russia, you get tossed in the air by your class (usually before you even step on the ground from the plane) and are supposed to hand out the treats: cognac to your instructor and a cigarette to everyone on the field.

what next
17th Feb 2009, 16:25
Hello!

Isn't there any similar, or other, traditions that we apply here in the JAA-states?

When I first soloed in a glider (30 years ago - or 31?) it was common practise to get a spanking from your instuctor - as a compensation for making him suffer by having to watch your flying. This was followed in the evening by a mass spanking from all pilots and non-pilots in the clubhouse, the purpose of which was to improve your "seat of the pants flying skills" by giving you a feel for thermals (of course you also had to pay for all the drinks). I don't know if this somwhat teutonic custom is still in use. BTW: Girls did get the same treatment...

In some motor-flying clubs they cut off your tie after the first solo and collect them behind the clubhouse-bar. Since most students do not wear ties normally, I don't know what they cut off instead.

Unfortunately, most commercial flying organisations do not maintain this kind of tradition. We give our students a good handshake and welcome them to the club. The old tradition of the student inviting his instructor(s) for a beer after the first solo and/or after gaining his license sadly has also long disappeared...

Greetings, Max

strake
17th Feb 2009, 16:34
Well now, you chaps from foreign parts just don't know how to celebrate..!

Why, in the UK after our first solo, you get out of the aircraft, shake hands with your instructor and then there's a big......

....walk back to your car and you go home and bore everyone about how you are now a pilot.

I'd never heard about the shirt tails, it sounds a nice idea.

WestWind1950
17th Feb 2009, 16:47
my club did the same as Max's... spanking from all members present, then a round of beer for everyone! If you were lucky, it was a slow night. Oh, and then the members stood in two rows and you were turned 10 times around with eyes closed and then set off down the row... with the people catching you as you nearly fell to the right or left.... all to test your equalibrium. :}

Normally the spanking gets done at the plane for glider pilots and in the clubhouse later for all others. Also, in one club the glider pilot was presented with a bouquet of flowers... thistles with thorns, picked in near-by fields.

To support club activities, my original club did the spanking not only after the 1st solo, but after EACH new rating and exam! No excuses!

Traditions are fun.... :D

what next
17th Feb 2009, 18:18
Also, in one club the glider pilot was presented with a bouquet of flowers... thistles with thorns, picked in near-by fields.

Oh, how could I forget those! Well yes, as I said it was 30 years ago ... my instructor, a very nice man who had grandchildren my age, picked them himself while I was doing my first three solos (it was always three or nothing then!). I still have those dried flowers and will keep them until they pull my medical in another 30 years or so :)

Zulu Alpha
17th Feb 2009, 19:05
In the US they cut the back out of your shirt (so make sure you are wearing an old T shirt anytime you might go solo).
I was told that it was to let the wings grow out of your back!!
The club usually writes pithy comments on the bit they remove and pin it on the clubhouse wall.

You also have to buy the beers, but I guess thats the same the world over!!!

ZA

XXPLOD
17th Feb 2009, 19:21
Westwind1950 and What Next - are sure it was a FLYING club you belonged to.....!!!

Cat5 in the Hat
17th Feb 2009, 19:33
When I first soloed in a glider (30 years ago - or 31?) it was common practise to get a spanking from your instuctor - as a compensation for making him suffer by having to watch your flying. This was followed in the evening by a mass spanking from all pilots and non-pilots in the clubhouse, the purpose of which was to improve your "seat of the pants flying skills" by giving you a feel for thermals (of course you also had to pay for all the drinks). I don't know if this somwhat teutonic custom is still in use. BTW: Girls did get the same treatment...

I saw something similar at a gliding club I flew at in Germany (mid 90's). After the first solo the pilot was spanked by everyone, but only after the instructor had poured cold water down the back of his pants (underwear for the Septics here).

ChampChump
17th Feb 2009, 19:49
The spanking was extant when I went gliding in Poland in 1990; needless to say they took great delight in demostrating this ancient tradition on us westerners.

Shirt tails have morphed into tee shirts in the States in my experience. Equally effective and probably a lot cheaper.

Beer/wine whisky seems to rule over here. I wonder why that is......:)

FREDAcheck
17th Feb 2009, 20:31
cognac? cigarettes? tea shirts? We don't have none of that in East Anglia. When you go solo the club gives you a sugar beet with your likeness carved in it. My neighbour comes from Lincolnshire and told me what they do there which I didn't understand but I caught the word "inbreeding", and in Wales it's something to do with sheep, I believe.

Pilot DAR
18th Feb 2009, 02:16
Cutting the shirt tail is also a Canadian tradition, it was done to me 32 years ago.

More recently, for my second first solo (30 years after the first one) four REALLY COLD buckets of water were dumped on me (everyone had a go!)...

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo252/PilotDAR/IMG_3232.jpg

The beer thing would not have worked so well for my first solo, I was old enough to buy one, or for the second, as my instructor had to fly again later that day, and I had to fly home!

Pilot DAR

mattuk1
18th Feb 2009, 08:19
i did my 1st solo on saturday, and what an experience!
thankfully no spanking/water buckets/anything to do with sheep...just a photo and a man hug!

how did everyone find their 1st solo's out of interest?

englishal
18th Feb 2009, 13:17
Isn't it tradition for the first flight post PPL for a female to be topless ;)

Mine was celebrated with Barcardi 151, followed by us getting invited back by this Rock band in LA (we were token brits) to an after gig party which included a Magnum 357, burning stuff, lots of wacky baccy (not us you understand :8) and booze. I can't quite remember but I think that was the same night as walking through a drive through - P*ssing off the boys in the hood, stealing some flags and getting pulled over by the police for walking down a highway....

Who wants to come flying in the USA with us :}

Lurking123
18th Feb 2009, 14:47
Tradition and America in the same sentence, how bizarre. :rolleyes:

Airbus Girl
18th Feb 2009, 18:06
It was not considered PC to disrobe a female in public like that so I didn't get mine done............
You obviously didn't go to the same school as me!!

Isn't it tradition for the first flight post PPL for a female to be topless
Of course! What do you think?

teeteringhead
19th Feb 2009, 11:06
cognac? cigarettes? tea shirts? We don't have none of that in East Anglia. ... I though in East Anglia you celebrated by giving each other a high six. :E

NorthRider
19th Feb 2009, 13:08
At my airfield it is customary for the soloing pilot to be drenched with water from a bucket, fire hose, or by your mates tossing you in to the airfield fountain ( if not forzen sloid). Some times a whole class of students have been soaked by the fire department.

Drinks for the instructor.... sounds nice! I think I will institute a new tradition.

englishal
19th Feb 2009, 15:44
Of course! What do you think?
I think it is a great tradition which really should take off (boom boom) over here :E

Silvio Pettirossi
20th Feb 2009, 00:29
Here in Paraguay you get a bath in used motor oil after your first solo. ( I wonder how much longer it will be this way, its a bit dangerouse to your health:eek:) Then, you have to run and try to hug your instructor:}. After that you get washed in front of everyone with a hose normaly used to wash airplanes. And, most important to your future as pilot, you have to make a big asado (barbecue) for everyone present.....

TheGorrilla
20th Feb 2009, 01:01
When I got back from my first solo, there was nobody there. The place was absolutely deserted, dunno what they were expecting me to do??

:eek: :E:E

Pilot DAR
20th Feb 2009, 01:15
When I got back from my first solo, there was nobody there. The place was absolutely deserted,

Which begs the question; was your airport of arrival the same one as your airport of departure?

egbgstudent
20th Feb 2009, 12:54
Leicester used to have a tradition of cutting off your tie (usually bought for the occasion as nobody wears them much anymore). it was then marked with your name, date, and aircraft reg, before being pinned in the bar.
There were some loud and proud ties (including mine) until the Council of Management decided to bin them all as they were getting a little dirty.
It is a shame when traditions die out

corsair
20th Feb 2009, 15:16
They used to cut off ties in the Irish Aero Club (Iona) for the men and the women supplied undies. I suspect that maybe the underwear wasn't literally removed on the spot as some of them were rather racey. Same with the ties particularly as no one wore them. Ties that is not panties.

My experience was most similar to strake's description. A couple of shaken hands, no one asked me for a tie or underwear, followed by a long cycle home to my disinterested family. sigh!:\

Still I got a nice plaque from the club later. Which now sits proudly on the computer desk before me. 28 years hence. I can't believe it's that long!