PDA

View Full Version : Single Engine Rentals (USA)

tarasky
13th Feb 2009, 20:00
Hi Everyone,

My friend wants me to take her to the States to go fly around in a single engine!
Any suggestions from those of you who have done such a flying holiday in America. Where is the best?
Or indeed, is there a better location in the World to go on such a holiday?
Thanks guys,
Tara x

polohippo
13th Feb 2009, 20:27
I would go to the USA, simply because there are some great places to see, the aircraft are pretty cheap to rent, the airspace and radio etc are easy and the service is amazing at pretty much every airport that you visit!

Flying in Europe is a pain as they just aren't geared up for GA like the Americans are. Africa is a pain too because of all the people justifying their jobs and wasting your time and mainly trying to rip you off!

You should find some great deals in the USA at the moment, not from the well known JAA schools but from small flying schools and FBO's. Some friends of mine got a C152 for $54 per hour WET (plus tax)!

Florida could be a good starting point as the weather is pretty good, but it depends if you're going in the summer as there can be a lot of thunderstorms. It's also a short hop over to the Bahamas which is a great trip!

Anyway I'm rambling and now wishing I was there, so good luck in whatever you decide to do!

englishal
14th Feb 2009, 07:30
Don't go to Florida - it it is flat, boring, humid, full of rednecks who want to shoot you, full of dangerous old people with their shopping trolleys. The beches are nice but mind you don't get stung by a Man O War.....California on the other hand is completey different ;)

tarasky
15th Feb 2009, 14:47
Thanks for you replys.
Ya I did all my training bar the IR in Florida so I will head to the West coast for the "flying vacation" I think!
Thanks again,

Tara x

chrisbl
15th Feb 2009, 17:19
Try Oregon beautiful scenary mountains, coasts and desert and no sales tax.

julian_storey
15th Feb 2009, 20:25
I'm with Al - it's California all the way.

Why not fly to Vegas. From there you can do the Grand Canyon and maybe fly out to Sandiego and up the coast?

Utfart
16th Feb 2009, 18:02
There is that other part of America (about 9.9 million square kilometers) just to the north. Very GA friendly and with a dollar that's 25% less than the other one. No TSA either :). Just a thought.

julian_storey
16th Feb 2009, 18:35
They have our Queen on their money.

They MUST be ok ;)

Genghis the Engineer
17th Feb 2009, 09:37
Hi Everyone,

My friend wants me to take her to the States to go fly around in a single engine!
Any suggestions from those of you who have done such a flying holiday in America. Where is the best?
Or indeed, is there a better location in the World to go on such a holiday?
Thanks guys,
Tara x

I've done this a few times, and had variable aeroplanes, but always an enjoyable flying experience.

Of those trips I've done, the one where I got the best flying, the best aeroplane, and the best value for money was at a small FBO called Skyschool at Prescott Love field in Arizona. Time permitting, I'd be very happy to go back there again.

A few general hints - in hot/high environments hire a slightly bigger/more powerful aeroplane than you think you'll need, allow a full day at the start (send your friends shopping!) for learning the aeroplane and the local flying environment, be prepared to refuse to take an aircraft - I've been to two FBOs who were very prepared to fob the foreigner off with the crap aeroplane that the locals wouldn't touch (although others with fantastic aeroplanes), and take lots of local advice about the best places to fly, and how.

G

englishal
17th Feb 2009, 10:53
If you want good aeroplanes, go to either:

California Flight Center, Inc. (http://www.californiaflightcenter.com)
or
www.angelcityflyers.com (Diamonds)

Both based at Long Beach and both come highly recommended.

david viewing
17th Feb 2009, 12:23
best value for money was at a small FBO called Skyschool at Prescott Love field in Arizona

Unfortunately Skyschool went bust at the end of last year. However, Northaire (http://www.northaire.com/) just around the corner are very much in business. Prescott is a lovely location for a US familiarisation exercise, surrounded by vast tracts of uncontrolled airspace, beautiful mountains and VFR weather 360 days of the year. Just 2 hrs N of Phoenix by hourly shuttle bus with a daily BA flight direct non stop from London.

If you call, ask for President and CFI James Dunn and if you dare, mention my name!

Genghis the Engineer
17th Feb 2009, 16:49
Skyschool's website (http://www.skyschoolinc.com/index.html) seems to suggest that they're still in business. Presumably if they don't answer the phone or any Emails - they aren't!

G

david viewing
19th Feb 2009, 12:13
Sorry Ghengis but it's all boarded up and the phone cut off.

FlyPrescott.com (http://www.flyprescott.com/) has lots of useful info on Prescott. A new FBO terminal is being built for Legend over by the golf club and Randy's Pilot shop (http://www.flyaas.com/)is moving over there. (One of the best and certainly the most helpful pilot shop in the US). I don't think Legend offer rentals, but there might be individual aircraft for rent on the field.

julian_storey
19th Feb 2009, 12:50
Randy's Pilot shop is moving over there. (One of the best and certainly the most helpful pilot shop in the US).

I would absolutely agree with this.

Whilst Randy Faunce (the owner) appears on the face of it to be barking mad, he is actually hugely helpful, nothing is too much trouble for him and his prices are almost always below Sporty's :ok:

Midland Transport
19th Feb 2009, 12:53
Suggest West Coast Pinnacle Aviation Academy at Santa Monica. Very new 182 full glass Garmin1000 180hr will be less for multiple hours. Hired there last October very helpful 1 hour checkride along the coast and through the VFR corridor over LAX. I normally fly business twins here in the UK and Europe but that 1hr flight helped me get used to the G1000 and the differences in RT and US airspace. I have a US licence as well as JAA but not sure that made any difference. Hope this helps

Genghis the Engineer
20th Feb 2009, 17:17
Jumping back in again, I've just contracted a business trip to San Diego next month, which isn't a corner of California that I know.

Can anybody recommend a good place to rent a small single in that vicinity for a couple of days? so that I can give myself a good excuse to tag a couple of days leave onto my trip?

G