PDA

View Full Version : Aspen PFD, EX500 and S-tec 55x

rmac
9th Feb 2009, 15:28
Anyone out there with experience of operating this combination or part thereof who would like to share the ups and downs as I have just had them fitted to go with my 430W's as a partial glass upgrade.

Looking at the pilot manuals, the S-tec has a fairly long pre flight check. Is there a shorter version anyone uses after using the long one for first flight of the day for example.

Thanks all

cessnapete
9th Feb 2009, 18:01
I have been operating a Cessna 210 Turbine conversion fitted with the 55X A/P in conjunction with a Chelton Flightlogic EFIS system.
The A/P works well and is smooth in operation on this aircraft.
Mode selection operations are not particularly pilot friendly. but quickly become 'second nature' with experience
The Pre -Flight checklist is indeed long but we only carry it out on the first flight of the day. More than that and you will check it to death!

rmac
9th Feb 2009, 20:54
How is the Chelton working for you Pete ?

I thought about it in the early days but then decided that as a pair of Cheltons were almost equal to the hull value of my aircraft :eek: that I would look for something more cost effective like Aspen.

Of course Avidyne kept their new retrofit PFD so secret to the last moment even though I enquired directly when I bought the EX500, that it was impossible to change horses at the last moment.

cessnapete
10th Feb 2009, 15:43
The Chelton is a great piece of equipment. We have had a number of failures mainly the PFD display, all have been exchanged at no cost by Chelton and appear to be softwear problems which happen with new equipment.
Again, the mode keys ,soft/hard, needed to operate the system take some time to master. This is always a problem when, as with this eqipment, you are controlling so many functions from two screens.
The nav setup is wonderfull. Once you have set up the flight plan the flight director (Highway In The Sky) will, and does guide you through the complete trip.
In the USA when getting checked out on the 210, we were conducting trips and letdowns to Cat 1 limits in V/Nav and L/Nav all controlled by the GPS with WAAS. At minimums the runway symbol comes up on the PFD and we were always within the width of the actual runway of a small rural airport in the middle of nowhere!. Of course now in the UK all this capability is wasted by the CAA and their mindless paperwork required to carry out a GPS approach in UK!
I would recommend the Chelton, even though as you say, is not cheap as a retrofit.