PDA

View Full Version : BAeA Aerobatics contests calender - which event to go to?

BackPacker
3rd Feb 2009, 12:19
Folks, I'm currently training for aerobatics at Standard level, with the aim of eventually competing on that level in the Dutch Open, somewhere end of August. (The date has not been released yet.)

In order to practice somewhat, and to have fun, and to see some new people, and to have an excuse to go somewhere, I'm thinking of joining one of the BAeA events this spring. I've read through the BAeA site and I'm currently thinking about one of these three events:

April 18-19 John McLean Trophy, Breighton
May 15-16 Tiger Trophy, Sherburn
May 29-30 Golding Barrett Trophy, Sleap

Anybody out here who can recommend any of these three events above the others?

eharding
3rd Feb 2009, 17:52
The Tiger is unique in that pilots at all levels Standard through to Unlimited compete on a common basis - the initial Standard sequence is progressively enhanced for Intermediate, Advanced and Unlimited levels - and the trophy and medals are awarded to the highest percentage scoring pilot, regardless of level. Its generally held at the end of the season to round off the year, and doesn't involve flying the known sequence - so if you've been pounding round the box flying the known for a couple of months, it won't have a direct benefit at the Tiger - but arguably you should digging into the sequence archive to prepare and fly an unknown on every other sortie anyway.

The Sleap and Breighton competitions follow the more orthodox format of Known plus one or more Unknowns. All of the locations are great airfields, with plenty of food on offer (get your priorities right!), so little to choose between them on that score.

So, in summary...do all three!

stiknruda
3rd Feb 2009, 22:55
Tactically - Sherburn is the EASIEST venue. Breighton and Sleap have many confusing features as you are spinning on to a given heading.

All 3 apart from the Tigger's tale as eharding has alluded to, are much of a muchness.

Best fun you can have.

Stik - a BAeA Buddy somewhere near Holland

18greens
4th Feb 2009, 15:05
Which ones can you rent aeroplanes at???

Flyingcircusace
4th Feb 2009, 18:07
The Tiger is a great spectacle with all levels flying on the same day! (But can lead to a very hectic flying program which can be a bit daunting for your first go) I think the best event for yourself would be the John Mclean. I would also suggest that you could also attend the beginners comp the day before. Its all valuable time in the box and its set in a very supportive atmosphere. Sharing the experience with fellow pilots flying for the first time in a comp will be great experience. I think it will allow you to relax more and enjoy the event, and this will increase your learning. Taking the beginners day experience into the John Mclean will be invaluable as you fly against more experienced competitors. These two comps in one weekend will be a fantastic prep for your domestic nationals.
The Contest Director and Chief judge at the John Mclean are both BAeA Buddies so you will be in very good hands...

Fcirc

BackPacker
4th Feb 2009, 20:26
Thanks for the info so far. Just FYI I competed at the Dutch Open last year in the Beginners class. We flew the known sequence three times (good weather!) and I became first out of five with a hair over 74% average. So in that respect I would not consider it entirely fair to compete in Beginners again.

Also budget-wise (it is over three hours one way to get to either of these venues) and the fact that I've got to convince the club to lend me the plane for a long weekend will probably mean that I will only attend one of these events.

For now I think I'll put the John McLean in my diary and keep the others as weather contingency.

And I'll be contacting a few fellow pilots who fly the same aircraft at the same level to see if they're interested in joining me.

Zulu Alpha
4th Feb 2009, 20:58
Just a couple of extra points.

The Tiger at Sherburn is a single unknown, so not quite as good value for money as the others which have a Known plus 1 or 2 unknowns. However the Tiger is one of the oldest and nicest trophies.

Have you also considered Fenland or the nationals at Peterborough. Both are closer to the Netherlands.
Fenland is a great competition with a great trophy ( a tiger moth in a glass case ).
Peterborough is the nationals and is fiercely competed for. However the title can only go to someone with a British Passport.

There are also several Loop days where you can rent an aircraft ( Extra 300 or a CAP 10C) and get detailed critique which might work out cheaper. The one at little Gransden is closest to Stansted if you want to get a cheap flight over. I am the contest director for this one. If you need any help with getting there, give me a call

My suggestion would be

1 Fenland because its close and a great comp
2 The Nationals at Peterborough because it is quite close
3 Sleap or Breighton because they are further away
4 Tiger just because it is just the one unknown and also further away

or consider renting at a Loop day

You will need to be signed off to compete at Std, but if you have been signed off in the Netherlands then this will suffice. Let me know if you need help as I can sign you off.

DJ

BackPacker
4th Feb 2009, 21:23
ZA, thanks. I've been looking for events in the spring first of all, but who knows, if the bug really bites I might go to more events. Peterborough is really value for money with three unknowns!

And getting a cheap flight to Stansted to participate in the Loop day, if only to fly a CAP 10C, sounds nice too. But as I said, I've competed at Beginners level already and done not too bad so I don't think it's fair towards the other competitors, volunteers etc.

As for signout, my mentor is an official mentor of the Dutch Aerobats (VINK) and he reckons I need one or two more flights to be signed out for Standard level competitions. If the UK accepts that signout then that would make life easier.

eharding
4th Feb 2009, 23:18
if only to fly a CAP 10C

(Cough)

only a 10c?...at Standard? - take a look at the UK Standard results for the few years - call it a trend, call him a legend....some think his white hair hypnotises the judges, some think he uses old English farming magic to settle the weather when he flies a competition sequence, and some of us have seen what happens when he flies to Ireland for a competition...but say what you like, the one we call "Wixie", who was as old as I am now when I was born, has generally kicked @rse and won medals at Standard in his 10c. A lesson to us all.

stiknruda
5th Feb 2009, 07:45
ed - Given that you act like a love-sick, anorexic teenager, are you saying that "W" from Essex is only 34?

eharding
5th Feb 2009, 07:52
ed - Given that you act like a love-sick, anorexic teenager, are you saying that "W" from Essex is only 34?

http://www.pistonheads.com/inc/images/rofl.gif

Check your maths - "W" was in his thirties some in the early 1960s!

BackPacker
5th Feb 2009, 07:53
Gents, I'm flying an R2160. It does have a cap to prevent oil busting out when inverted and it's cleared for -3 to +6 G. That's all there is to it. No tailwheel, no CS, no inverted oil, no inverted fuel and a mere 160 HP.

I'd dearly love an opportunity to fly in something more suitable to aerobatics and the CAP-10C sort of stole my heart. And I know that when flown properly it's still capable of competing at a very high level.

Zulu Alpha
5th Feb 2009, 10:11
....and don't forget that Wixie is/was also the Dutch National champion in 2007... Johannes van Wix.

He donated the English trophy the following year.

ZA

ps best to get your Dutch sign off checked before you arrive, but I'm 95% sure it will be OK here

BackPacker
5th Feb 2009, 11:11
ZA, we're working on it. Otherwise I'll be in Breighton early on Friday - I assume I can get signed off there too?

Zulu Alpha
5th Feb 2009, 13:56
There can be problems in getting signed off at the contest site.

This is because you are not allowed to fly within 10nm of the contest site in the week before a contest. This is to avoid noise problems and to prevent people having a look at the box.

This means that you will have to arrange to fly the std known with someone watching on the ground at least 10 miles away. This can be difficult unless pre arranged and there is ground transport.

The Dutch sign off should be OK, but if not then there are several places that you could stop by on your way to Breighton. I suggest doing this in the day or so before the contest. This is because contests normally start with a compulsory briefing at 8 or 8.30am. If you miss this you cannot fly, so you need to have your sign off complete before this.
I suggest not leaving it to the last minute in case the weather etc upsets your plans.

I live in East Anglia, so depending on your route you could stop by on your way. Old Buckenham (http://www.oldbuck.com)is my nearest airfield

ZA

BackPacker
5th Feb 2009, 14:07
ZA, I see. Thanks for the offer.