PDA

View Full Version : Touch and Go.....

Duchess_Driver
31st Jan 2009, 17:45
Recent article in GA magazine in the UK caused a crew-room discussion.

Correct technique for T&G ....power then flaps or flaps then power.

I know what I do and, more importantly, my reasons for teaching it that way....

Others comments please.

DD

flightlevel1985
31st Jan 2009, 18:02
Flaps then power, so that you are concentrating on the runway as you start accelerating down it.

PrittPower
31st Jan 2009, 18:34
I agree, but only if you have enough runway left !

AJMortimer
31st Jan 2009, 18:41
I was always taught flaps then power.

If you haven't enough runway left - well maybe it's the least of your problems...?!

AJ

bingofuel
31st Jan 2009, 18:50
Flaps up first, then power/rudder. If you apply power, then select flaps up on an aeroplane with electric flaps (Cessna) you may find yourself airborne with retracting flaps, leading to a loss of lift at low airspeed and a rapid sink onto the runway. If there is insufficient runway to safely retract flaps then apply power then the question must be asked, 'why were you trying to land on that runway?'

hugh flung_dung
31st Jan 2009, 19:30
Power first.
If flaps are raised first a considerable amount of runway is used whilst the aircraft decelerates and then accelerates; the aircraft will therefore be lower during the climbout than otherwise. This may or may not be an issue at a long tarmac runway (depending on how accurate the initial landing was) but WILL be an issue at a shorter grass strip, therefore airmanship dictates power first.
Initially the FI should reset the flaps for the stude; by the time they are ready for solo the stude should be doing it themselves by feel.
Virtually all training aircraft will get airborne with full flap if required so it's not a disaster if the stude forgets. For those that struggle with full flap (e.g. the old C150) the convention is not to use full flap for the landing.

HFD

OneIn60rule
31st Jan 2009, 19:36
After landing, clean up then power up.
Reason being, aircraft is slowing down, allowing you to retract flap instead of powering up then faffing to find the flaps while you are accelerating down that runway.

1/60

jamestkirk
31st Jan 2009, 22:07
I say both at the same time. Flap selector with left knee and power with kneeboard.

what next
1st Feb 2009, 09:32
Hello!

Always flaps first. And if they are not up in time (i.e. at the half-runway marking if so briefed), the takeoff is aborted immediately.

You may get away taking off with flaps in landing configuration or in transition in a C172 or Pa28. But try it with a "real" aeroplane and you are going to crash&burn.

Greetings, Max

Duchess_Driver
1st Feb 2009, 09:48
Just checked Thoms (TAPM).....that's in the power first camp, as is the R.D. Campbell instructors hand-book.

hugh flung_dung
1st Feb 2009, 10:48
DD: "Just checked Thoms (TAPM).....that's in the power first camp, as is the R.D. Campbell instructors hand-book" and so are the CFS Bulldog instructor notes.

I gave the reasons earlier for applying power first, but think about the risk if flaps are set first. Bloggs lands a little deep and, rather than braking heavily and frightening the hedge, correctly decides to launch again and have another go but faffs around with flaps - oops no runway left. (Yes, we all know that Bloggs should have gone-around when it became obvious that the landing would be deep but ...).

HFD

Edited to add: I've just noticed that HFD is 10 years old; happy birthday to me, etc;)

VFE
1st Feb 2009, 11:31
Plenty of runway left - flap first.

Not much runway left - power first.

Ostacles at end of runway - power first and retract drag flap, climb at Vx.

VFE.

doubleu-anker
1st Feb 2009, 12:26
Power first, every time no matter how much runway you have. This is good for all a/c, light and heavy, small and large pistons and jet engines. Some engines take a quite few seconds to get wound up, burning up valuable runway in the process. Also the a/c will fly with power on and say for e.g., more than t/o flap set I.E., flaps in transit (you landed with that setting) so you know it flies with the flap you landed with. It may not fly however at the required time/position, if the power required to get airborne is set too late.

A T & G is similar to a missed approach beginning from the ground IMHO. Do you carry out a missed approach by raising the flap first? I hope not!

ReverseFlight
1st Feb 2009, 14:14
Aviation Theory Centre's "The Flying Training Manual" (Australia) p220:

Touch-and-Go Landings ...
* move the flap to the take-off setting;
* apply full power and perform a normal take-off.

At least that's the way I have been taught at CPL and FI rating.

BroomstickPilot
2nd Feb 2009, 10:00
Surely it depends on the aircraft type and the circumstances.

Back in 1960 I was always taught to put power on first, lift off and then wait for speed to increase and then gradually reduce flap, one division at a time, as speed increased. But that was operating an Auster with huge split flaps and only 85 bhp off Manchester Barton's short, rough, grass runways and in hot weather.

More recently, renewing my PPL on a Pa28, where the usual mode of landing is to use full flap and operating off a much longer metalled runway, I was taught that I should reduce flap first to one stage of flap, apply full power and take off in the usual manner. I certainly would not have done this at Barton with the Auster.

I would submit that both methods were correct for the aircraft type and the circumstances. In short, I feel one should not be prescriptive about this. I feel one needs to learn to make an assessment of the situation and alter one's procedure accordingly.

I am not an instructor, but if I was I think I would teach students one particular method but explain that 'this is what we do here and with these aircraft, but once you've got your licence and move on to fly different aircraft in some other place, you will have to assess the new situation for yourself and act accordingly'.

Broomstick.

Cap'n Arrr
2nd Feb 2009, 10:41
Aussie rules are that you have to add 20% on to landing distance for ab initio training. As such, Bloggs should not run out of runway, and if he does he will hopefully have the sense to abort (shouldn't be at marginal strips in the first place with someone who isn't comfortable with the plane)

Always been one for flaps up first. Actually, I'm one for control first (get a hold of the damn thing and point it straight) then flaps then power. If they can't do all that in the length of runway available to them then they shouldn't be up there solo in the first place.

doubleu-anker
2nd Feb 2009, 17:53
Take your point about control first.

I retired from full time ab initio instruction, some 37 years ago and part time AB instruction 34 years ago, so things may have changed a bit since then. In the schools and clubs I worked at, we never let students do T & G's solo.

Mach Jump
2nd Feb 2009, 23:10
There is another way of doing this that not only covers all the points already made, but also avoids people learning a technique that will make them more likely to retract the gear instead of the flap on the runway.

If you intend to do a 'touch and go' then fly the approach with a flap setting that you are happy to take off with. Then you will not have to retract the flaps on the runway at all.

MJ :)

Say again s l o w l y
2nd Feb 2009, 23:31
How's that the blindest bit of use for training, where you'll be changing your settings on virtually every approach sometimes?

I'm very much on the flap first, then power. When you touch down, your speed is relatively high, certainly not that far away from Vy in many aircraft, so that second difference of retracting flap first shouldn't make the blindest bit of difference. If it did the runway is too short.

The last thing you want is for the stude to start rotating whilst the flaps are still retracting in something like a heavy c-150 on a warm day.

Going down..........

what next
3rd Feb 2009, 07:30
Good morning!

If you intend to do a 'touch and go' then fly the approach with a flap setting that you are happy to take off with. Then you will not have to retract the flaps on the runway at all.

That may be OK if your student is going to fly nothing else but aeroplanes in which this is possible. But as Mr. Seneca (what a coincidence ... ;) ) used to say a long time ago: "We learn, not for school, but for life." So we must teach them a generally applicable way to do it.

I used to fly an aeroplane that wouldn't even let you take off with the flaps and trim in anything else but takeoff-range: The Metroliner has a configuration warning that will scream at you if you advance the power levers and either the flaps or the trim are not in the expected postion (and they will not be at touchdown!). The "power first" technique will lead to an (aurally) unpleasant experience...

The aeroplanes I fly at work now (C550/560) have a smart little device built into them, that will prevent the engines from spooling down below flight idle for eight seconds after touchdown, to give you the necessary time to reconfigure the aircraft for flight without having to worry about engine spool-up times. Since it is touching down at about the same speed as it will take off again (as someone already pointed out), there is no need for immediate accelleration.
I talked to an Airbus pilot about it yesterday, and they have to do this manually: Advance the power levers to 50 percent at touchdown to keep the engines turning, then configure and apply takeoff power _after_ the flaps have moved to takeoff position. If the runway is too short for this, you simply don't do touch-and-gos.

But anyway, as an instructor in a commercial flight training organistion I have to instruct the way that's written in our federal-agency-approved training manual, and this reads (for MEP and SEP and for the PPL and CPL/ATPL syllabi):
1. Retrim for T/O
2. Set flaps for T/O
3. Apply takeoff power

Greetings Max

Big Pistons Forever
4th Feb 2009, 18:18
I am with "what next" on this issue. Part of the problem IMO is the idea that a touch and go is some kind of different new exercise. It is not, rather it is a normal landing followed by a normal takeoff.

When I teach it I emphasize that a touch and go has 3 distinct parts.

First Part. You should be concentrating only on a properly executed landing untill the aircraft is rolling out on the ground on the centre line and under full control.

Second Part. While ensuring controll is maintained, the aircraft is reconfigured for takeoff.

Third Part. An assement is made as to whether there is enough runway to safely takeoff or if there are any aircraft abnormalities affecting safe flight. If the answer not enough runway or significant aircraft problem, then a RTO is conducted, if the answer is good to go, than apply takeoff power and conduct a normal takeoff.

Another point that has not been really addressed is single pilot vs dual pilot touch and go's and solo vs dual touch and go's. If operating in a two crew environment there must be a clearly briefed division of duties. I like having the PNF do all reconfiguration duties and make a "ready for take off call" at which point the Captain makes a either "takeing off" or "reject" call. If it is a go then the PF calls for Max power.

If you get two GA pilots who are going out for some crashes and dashes you
must have a talk on who is doing what , especially for retractable gear and higher performance aircraft. My recomendation for this scenario is the PNF takes no action other than reporting traffic and significant aircraft abnormalities

In an flight training environment (for ab intio) in the early days I do all the reconfiguration myself and tell the student to just concentrate on aircraft control and then when ready have the student start doing it himself. Only when I am confident they can do the above three steps will I allow solo touch and go's.

Jumbo Driver
5th Feb 2009, 10:25
There's been some good discussion on this thread including, as far as GA is concerned, an excellent common-sense post by BroomstickPilot, if I may say so. Technique indeed needs to be type-specific.

However, I would go further and suggest that Touch-and-Gos are one of the hidden dangers of a PPL course. Nowadays, the Touch-and-Go is rather taken for granted amongst the training fraternity but it should be remembered that it is neither a formal training requirement for licence issue nor is it by any means always a simple operation. I know it is in common practice but I believe it should be considered much more seriously than it generally is. As an exercise, it is neither on the syllabus nor examined under test. For the student, it is nothing more than a manoeuvre designed to save time and/or money during circuit training. The only marginal training benefit to the student is that it illustrates how to handle what is, in effect, a very late go-around but the likelihood of it being required in "normal" flying is remote.

In reality it can be quite challenging; for example, a T&G in a taildragger, especially once the tail is down, can be quite a handful even for an experienced pilot. Complications are various. Firstly, as it is not a syllabus requirement, there is no standardised way of teaching the manoeuvre (see this thread, for example). Secondly, instructors who undertake configuration changes during the landing run before lift-off, such as running flaps and/or changing trim, are (arguably) setting a poor example of airmanship to their student. To subsequently encourage the student do the same when solo is, in my book, an absolute no-no. I believe common-sense should dictate that, except in an emergency, no configuration change should be undertaken by the handling pilot while in the ground phase of a T&G - and this should be especially emphasised to an ab-initio student.

Looking at it objectively, a T&G is fraught with danger for the unwary and the pitfalls are obvious. If the student fails to run the flap, the aircraft may not climb - indeed in certain types (say, C150) from an approach with landing (full) flap, they are entering a manoeuvre which has the potential to be dangerous. Conversely, if the student inadvertently retracts (e.g. electrically) too much flap, the configuration and performance will not be as expected and they may approach the stall. Also, with their eyes "in the cockpit" while adjusting flap or trim, they may lose directional or rotational control - for example, try running flap in a taildragger during a solo T&G and you will see what I mean. You just don't have enough hands.

what next has mentioned larger aircraft. I can speak for the 747 (for example) where, whether it be in the real aircraft or simulator, there are three basics for a T&G. First, only simulated reverse thrust is used - and any reverser unlock will require a full-stop landing. Second, any configuration change (usually flaps to T/O and trim within T/O range) must be made before advancing the thrust levers (throttles!), otherwise the Take-off Configuration Warning (TOCW) Horn will sound. Third, the configuration changes are ALWAYS made by the Training Captain and NEVER by the trainee handling pilot. I know the professional world is different from GA but in my opinion the principles remain the same. What's sensible in professional training should also apply to PPL instruction.

In a nutshell, I submit:

1. The touch-and-go manoeuvre is for training only and has the potential to be hazardous if not handled correctly.
2. Configuration change(s) while on the ground should not be made by a handling pilot, especially a student pilot.
3. A T&G involving flap or trim changes on the ground should therefore never be undertaken when solo (especially ab-initio), except in a genuine emergency.

JD
:)

Mach Jump
5th Feb 2009, 12:37
Thanks for that Jumbo, I agree entirely. There is a difference between multi and single pilot operation here but to teach ab-initio students to perform config changes on the roll is just asking for trouble later. Every AIB bulletin has an item where the undercarrage 'mysteriously retracted just after landing'.

Hello again SAS. Maybe I didn't make it quite clear what I meant in my last post. I didn't mean to suggest that all touch and goes be carried out with the same flap setting, but that the maximum flap on an intentional touch and go should be whatever you can safely take off with, to avoid having to change config. on the runway. Any approach with more flap than that should be for a full stop, then taxy off the runway and stop to reconfigure before another takeoff.

MJ :)

Say again s l o w l y
5th Feb 2009, 13:03
There's nothing wrong with changing configuration on the runway. I've done it SEP, MEP, turboprops and jets and it has never been an issue.

Yes you need to do it properly and not just whack levers and throttles with gay abandon, but there is nowt wrong with using a high flap setting and then reconfiguring for a more appropriate one for take off, whilst running down the runway, just make sure you have sufficient runway and don't try it on a 500m wet grass strip.

Selecting gear up after landing is down to people not paying attention, it is not down to teaching touch and go's.

hugh flung_dung
5th Feb 2009, 13:16
MJ, ref your second para I think we're in violent agreement. In my first response I said: "Virtually all training aircraft will get airborne with full flap if required so it's not a disaster if the stude forgets. For those that struggle with full flap (e.g. the old C150) the convention is not to use full flap for the landing."
I perhaps should have said: "... if the stude forgets or chooses not to reconfigure ..."

HFD

Jumbo Driver
5th Feb 2009, 20:26
There's nothing wrong with changing configuration on the runway. I've done it SEP, MEP, turboprops and jets and it has never been an issue.

i.e. "I've done it, so it must be OK ... :cool:"

Yeah, right ...

JD
:rolleyes:

VFE
5th Feb 2009, 23:07
I think when discussing these 'grey area' topics we can be in danger of making blind assumptions about runway length, runway conditions, obstacles, student ability, instructor ability, aircraft capability and so forth... I would seriously weigh up each scenario based on its own seperate merits on the day and perhaps should've added that as a caveat to my first post on this thread which in hindsight is perhaps too generic, as are most posts on this thread.

VFE.

bookworm
6th Feb 2009, 08:03
Have any of the "power first" fans experienced a failure of the flap retraction mechanism on their aircraft (stuck down symmetric or, rather worse, asymmetric)? Isn't it better to set and check configuration before attempting the take-off segment? But in fairness, I do T&Gs off a non-limiting runway, so the time required to get the power on is not an issue.

Islander2
6th Feb 2009, 08:24
Say again slowly said:
Selecting gear up after landing is down to people not paying attentionI thought our understanding of how to avoid human factors' accidents had progressed beyond the "you'd better sit up straight and try harder" mentality!

The Bonanza/Baron Pilot Proficiency Program in the U.S., which is surely one of the (if not the) largest type-specific flying training organisations in the world, does not permit its instructors to use touch and go landings. Maybe there's a more enlightened message there.

Mach Jump
6th Feb 2009, 11:31
SAS I'm not going to get into a pissing contest over this. People can read our views and decide for themselves what's logical.

MJ :ugh:

breakscrew
11th Feb 2009, 16:07
Broomstick,
Totally agree. If you tried to get the Auster's flaps up first, you would run off the end of the runway before you could advance the throttle, especially on the short grass strips I always seem to find myself at with our Auster. However, as a lad, I was always taught 'Flaps First' probably because if you left the C172's flaps down you would never accelerate, and when training, we always had a long runway ahead. Older and wiser, I now adapt my techniques to maatch the performance of the aeroplane.

Say again s l o w l y
11th Feb 2009, 17:00
Islander, yep there is a message there. Don't get in aircraft with poor ergonomics!

Jumbo, so I take it in your extensive career on 747's, when you've been base training, you've done full stop landings each and everytime? Mind you with spool up times as slow as a 747 classic, then you'd probably need to go thrust levers first then flaps on a touch and go.

As for the "well I've done it, so it's alright" In this case, yep, it is. The airlines I've worked for and training organisations that I've worked for, been trained by and run, do it too, so if I'm wrong, so are they................

Hey ho, another example of a thread that proves why PPRUNE has gone to the dogs.

Jumbo Driver
11th Feb 2009, 21:42
Oh SAS, instead of firing from the hip, why don't you read the posts you criticise ... ?

I set out in the penultimate paragraph of the post to which you refer how a Touch-and-Go is conducted on Base Training on the 747. So, if you had bothered to read the post you would see that they are not all full-stops. Incidentally, you are right that the thrust levers are usually stood up away from idle while the flaps and trim are being reset to minimise the spool-up time - however the required thrust for T/O is only set when the configuration is correct.

Nevertheless, the point I was making (which you clearly missed) was that the configuration changes are ALWAYS made by the Training Captain and NEVER by the trainee handling pilot.

As for the swipe in your last sentence, perhaps the remedy is more in your own hands than you realise ...

JD
:)

Islander2
12th Feb 2009, 09:12
SAS, intent as ever on making a serious and insightful contribution, says in respect of the aircraft that's been in continuous production for longer than any other type:
Islander, yep there is a message there. Don't get in aircraft with poor ergonomics!Yet, in the same breath, follows it up with:
Hey ho, another example of a thread that proves why PPRuNe has gone to the dogs.Could it be that Jumbo Driver's observation is right on the money?
As for the swipe in your last sentence, perhaps the remedy is more in your own hands than you realise ...

Say again s l o w l y
12th Feb 2009, 10:25
Ooh goody, here we go again...................

Islander, you may or may not have noticed that my comment was tounge in cheek. I have attended a couple of wheels up incidents in Bonanza's and I have to say that it is an easy mistake to make. One chap who I helped out of his bent Bonaza had well in excess of 20,000 hrs and was a senior chap at a large British Airline. Obviously no-one is immune to mistakes.
I studied ergonomics at University and I have to say, that most light aircraft are utterly appalling in many different ways. I know we have conventions on the shape of knobs etc, but mistakes are too easy to make.

Jumbo, having a training captain make configuration changes is all very well in a multi crew environment. However in training PPL's that is not what we are aiming for. Since a touch and go is a relatively normal procedure, it is not beyond the wit of man that we teach our students to make appropriate configuration changes themselves.

I agree that it is not necessary for licence issue, but since every examiner expects it, then we have to train for it.
I have always taught students to work in a very methodical manner and so far have had not one problem with letting students perform Touch and Goes in a variety of different aircraft and a variety of different surfaces.

Obviously all aircraft types are different, but in general, when training there are just a few types used. Cessna, Piper, Robin (or whatever they are called this week) mostly all simple, docile machines that don't cause problems in this situation if handled properly.

Taildraggers are a different matter somewhat and more thought is required.

The type of flap operation needs to be thought of too. Pipers and their manual "handbrake" mechanism, allows you to change flap setting very rapidly, so the issue of power first or flap first isn't as relevant.
Cessna and Robins have a much slower electrically powered system. If for example you are flying a C150 and are approaching with 40 flap for whatever reason, then you need to get the flap moving into an appropriate position as soon as possible. In the C152 with the gated flap lever, this is easy, C150's with just a manual control of the flap setting makes things different again.

If you apply full power immediately and then start to motor the flaps in a C150, then she'll be trying to take off whilst you are still moving the flaps. How is that a sensible thing? Much better that you land, move the flaps into an appropriate setting, then apply full power. Simple, easy and less prone to mistakes than throwing your hands around the cockpit as the aircraft accelerates to flying speed and beyond. Less chance of going off the side of the runway as you aren't having to cope with any yaw from the addition of power.

I am assuming of course that you have more than adequate runway length to do all of this safely.

Jumbo Driver
12th Feb 2009, 10:39
Ooh goody, here we go again...................

Oh, no we don't, SAS ...

However, I am pleased to note that you are in agreement with me on most points.

JD
;)

Islander2
12th Feb 2009, 11:33
Obviously no-one is immune to mistakes.
I studied ergonomics at University and I have to say, that most light aircraft are utterly appalling in many different ways. I know we have conventions on the shape of knobs etc, but mistakes are too easy to make.SAS, I thought that was the background to the very point I was making.

So, to avoid the problem, it's either a case of trying harder not to make the mistake, or having SOPs that prevent the circumstances from arising where the mistake can be made. You advocated the former, the Bonanza/Baron Pilot Proficiency Program requires the latter.

Pointing that out, apparently, is evidence that PRuNE has gone to the dogs!

Say again s l o w l y
12th Feb 2009, 12:30
You haven't gone to the dog's islander. I thought your points were valid.

I am very much advocating having standard procedures to minimise problems. It is done in the airline world for a reason. It works.

However, it would help that aircraft are also designed to minimise potential problems. Difficult with machines designed in the 50's before ergonomics had been thought of.

neilr
16th Feb 2009, 12:20
Just come across this thread .... as a fairly low hour instructor I thought I would throw in a few of my own thoughts and solicit some feedback ...

For a planned touch and go - I would teach flaps then power - has to be this way - at least for a C172 assuming full flap landing - which admittedly may not always be the case - applying full power with full flaps will get very messy very quick - aircraft leaps into the air - but this will be short-lived as speed decreases very quickly - in the older 172 I sometimes use - we can not maintain level flight with full flap

This approach is fine on a 3000m runway (I sometimes teach from) as the student has plenty of time to get the aircraft under control following the landing roll - select appropriate flap and then apply takeoff power

But I also teach from 400m tarmac strip - on various different SE aircraft - in general we do NOT allow touch and go - every landing is a short field - if you mess up the approach then G/A EARLY - for this I would teach Power then Flap

Key to the G\A is to arrest your descent and transit to the climb as quickly as possible - so apply full power - maintain safe flying speed (massive pitch change on 172 on application of full power with full flaps)
- this may mean depending on type - level flight, small ROC or even small ROD - but speed and control of descent is critcal in the early stage of G\A - next flaps up in stages - adjusting attitude to maintain speed and increase ROC .... then once at take off flap treat as normal departure

I teach on various SE aircraft - we also use a tecnam - you can climb with full flap on this aircraft albeit at reduced ROC - but same thing - apply full power - attitude change to arrest descent or even small ROC - select takeoff flap and transition to appropriate departure attitude

Lastly .... re-trimming is of course important - for the C172 and a G\A from full flap i would recommend rough re-trim after full power to reduce stick forces which can be considerable - then fine trim once flaps start coming up

best cheer neil