PDA

View Full Version : Garmin 296 - Adding Data

silvereagle
31st Jan 2009, 10:34
I have been using a Garmin 296 for some time and know my way round it quite well. Recently, I have been using the OBS line facility to draw the final approach path for NDB approaches. This enhances situational awareness and helps, particularly in cross winds. In addition to having the ADF needle and DME to follow, you can easily confirm you are on track with a quick glance at the 296.

I know there is a method of enhancing this still further. What I have in mind is drawing a DME arc onto the 296 screen. Someone showed me how to do this some years ago but I can't remember how it was done. Obviously I don't want the arc to remain on the screen all the time, only when I call it up. I have all the appropriate software on my laptop but can't find a drop down tab which helps.

Any ideas?

IO540
31st Jan 2009, 12:51
This long-abandoned forum thread (http://flyimc.mywowbb.com/forum4/23.html) might contain a lead or two.... there are some links to a Garmin SDK.

drambuster
1st Feb 2009, 10:21
I know that on the Garmin 496 there is a simple method of adding a 'proximity' circle of any size you choose to any waypoint (whether aviation or user). I did have a 296 a few years back but can't remember whether it had this facility.

It was very useful, for example, when flying an IAP into Norwich recently which incorporates a 10 DME arc.

To set it up simply go to the 'Points' tab on the main menu. On the 496 you can then see two sub-tabs - one for 'User' and the other is 'Proximity'. This second tab is where you need to go. Just enter a waypoint, or city or whatever, (by selecting an existing one from the database) and then the required distance (which is the radius of the circle you require). You will then find a bright red circle on the map page around your chosen waypoint.

I am reasonably sure this works in the same way on a 296. (and to get rid of the proximity circle you simply have to delete the waypoint from the proximity tab list).

Hope that helps

Drambuster

Chipmunk Janie
1st Feb 2009, 15:41
It works on the 296 as well.

There is no need to delete the waypoint from the list, you can just reset the circle to 0nm. That way you can leave the point in your list for next time you need it.

silvereagle
1st Feb 2009, 17:49
Thanks, Drambuster. I've just done that and it works fine. Not quite as good as the 'Select approach' on the 530/430 but most helpful when I'm using the 296 in my own aircraft. Many thanks.

wsmempson
1st Feb 2009, 18:30
I thought you could select an approach on a 296?

drambuster
1st Feb 2009, 21:47
The 'approach' available on the Garmin handhelds is limited to just the last leg of the IAP from Final Approach Fix to the runway numbers . . . . and not the full McCoy found on the 530 (which is actually not as detailed as a Jeppesen plate - i guess you need a G1000 for that!)

The usual reason given for this stripped down approach on the handhelds is that Garmin's lawyers don't want to encourage you to use the kit for a full on procedure down to minimums ! (and that's also why the glideslope disappears at 1000' when using vertical navigation on the panel page).

(and thanks CJ . . . . . that's a good tip!)

Chipmunk Janie
1st Feb 2009, 22:41
You're most welcome.

GPS Gosh! - Welcome! (http://www.GPSGosh.com)