PDA

View Full Version : RT Practical exam ....... help please

Bad_Wolf
27th Jan 2009, 18:00
I'd like to know how long RT practical exams take at the various schools around the UK.

My PPL / NPPL students are complaining that the RT examinations are too prolonged at our school/club.

My own RT exam was around 30 minutes a few years ago and I see no reason why practical exams should be any longer than this.

Students these days are tested for well over two hours (sometimes much longer) whilst the RT examiner takes them on a round the world trip.......(well almost).

Before I confront the examiner I'd like some indication of how long exams take at other establishments.

Many thanks

BW

Keygrip
27th Jan 2009, 18:33
Well, it's all academic.

There are only three routes available to you; 7A, 8A and 9A. Anything other than the A4 laminated "stick drawing" map with one of those numbers at the top is invalid - and an examiner doing anything other than those should be reported to Chris Caine at the CAA.

There is a maximum time for each, 7A is 90 minutes, 8A is 73 minutes and 9A is 92 minutes.

The test can be done at your own pace, so it goes as fast as you want it to. Somebody who has learned the material and knows what they are doing can rattle through it, quite professionaly, in 20 minutes or so.

Bad_Wolf
27th Jan 2009, 19:45
Thanks keygrip

That's just what I needed to hear - our chap makes up his routes on some kind of PC simulator and gets students to fly the route in real time - one of my students RT exams lasted 6 hours - some others are thinking of leaving the club because of this guy - I'll contact Chris Caine for advise. many thanks

VFR Transit
27th Jan 2009, 19:57
What can you take into the exam?

VFR

Spitoon
27th Jan 2009, 19:59
Are you thinking food????

VFR Transit
27th Jan 2009, 20:07
Lol no was thinking more like kneeboard and pens and pencils etc etc

Keygrip
27th Jan 2009, 21:03
A pen and a sheet or two of clean paper.

You won't need a kneeboard - you get a desk. Pretend you're in an airbus.

Whopity
27th Jan 2009, 21:24
The length of the RT Practical is dictated by the candidate who controls the speed at which the test progresses. The two extremes being that it must not take any longer than the flight plan time for the given route, and must be long enough for the candidate to make all necessary calls.

The examiner has no control over the time, as he has to wait and follow the candidate. 30 - 45 minutes is typical.

You are not allowed to take anything into the test; blank paper and a pen/pencil are provided.

homeguard
28th Jan 2009, 15:37
whopity is of course correct.

The computor driven test is also applied using the same routes as the paper versions and are not made up at all, they are provided by the CAA. Whether to use the computor or paper test is the decision of the examiner. I find the computor driven test requires basic computor skills of the candidate and therefore, usually, the paper version is more staightforward.

A test time of 45 minutes is the norm for most PPL students. Following a briefing of 15 minutes it will take most approximately 30 -45 minutes to plan the RT required for the flight. The debrief will normally be 15 minutes and the paperwork another 5 minutes. So a total normal time of approximately 2hrs +.

Saying hello and all the normal pleasantries brings the total time to at least 2.5hrs and should be allowed.

Too many candidates arrive poorly briefed and unprepared for what is required. Often having travelled a fair distance. I will always do my best to ensure that the candidate is fully up to speed and I sometimes give much more time. The aim of the test is not to fail but to ensure that at the very least they pass the exam with merit and go home successful but wiser. I hope the extra time when I give it - free, is appreciated.

windriver
28th Jan 2009, 15:40
I recommend candidates allocate a block of of two and a half hours for the "event"

Of course this covers the briefing, preparation, the test, debrief and paperwork.

In my experience quoting a generous block time is quite important so people aren`t itching to get back to work/home/pub thus adding a self imposed time pressure.

Most candidates should have been briefed on procedure and had some local "simulator" practice with their FI or ground school instructor beforehand.

30 to 40 minutes is typical for the route.

RTN11
28th Jan 2009, 15:42
My RT test lasted about 2 hours, but that included an hour brief and sort of mock test.

As stated, the test is driven by the candidate. The examiner may call ready for departure, you could then call that straight away, or wait a moment to gather your thoughts.

Whopity
28th Jan 2009, 17:26
it will take most approximately 30 -45 minutes to plan the RT required for the flight.The Examiners brief says allow the candidate 15 minutes to prepare! If they take longer they probably aren't ready for the test!