PDA

View Full Version : What’s wrong with PPRuNe email?

Carrier
26th Jan 2009, 16:03
Over the past three months there have been increasing problems with this email service.

My company sends out the next day’s duty allocations by email. These are sent out to pilots located in different cities at the same time. As far as I know I am the only one who uses PPRuNe email. On too many occasions my email has arrived late, sometimes more than twelve hours after the company sent out the messages, while other pilots who use other email services have received their messages with no delay.
Twice I sent emails to three addresses at Everyone.net outlining the problem with their service. The response has been:

"Everyone.net Feedback" <[email protected]>
Subject:**RE: PPRuNe email problem:
As a free user or you have not provided us with an account. You can purchase support through this link here:
https://controlcenter.everyone.net/amc/sscripts/payPerIncidentSupport.pl.

Alternatively, you can upgrade your service to Mail Plus which include supports. You can then use the web forms to contact support.
If you do not wish to upgrade, or cannot upgrade, you need to contact the admin of the domain you have services with for any type of support.
As a free user or you have not provided us with an account. You can purchase support through this link here:
https://controlcenter.everyone.net/amc/sscripts/payPerIncidentSupport.pl.

Alternatively, you can upgrade your service to Mail Plus which include supports. You can then use the web forms to contact support.
If you do not wish to upgrade, or cannot upgrade, you need to contact the admin of the domain you have services with for any type of support.

Elvin
Support
Support Department
Everyone.net

Note that the Support does not seem to know the difference between somebody asking for help with their specific problem and someone pointing out a problem that presumably affects the whole PPRuNe email service.

I have a back up email address on another email service. I set this up when I was working in Africa and the PPRuNe email service would not allow emails to be sent from most of that continent. Pilots working in Africa or visiting there for pleasure or on duty need to know that they will not be able to send emails from there using the PPRuNe email service. Everyone.net would do nothing to correct the lack of email sending capability from most of Africa.

Over the past few days another problem has arisen. Several times I have tried to send emails to Mrs. C’s email address at work. At first these were shown as sent by PPRuNe email but they never arrived. Emails sent by our back-up email service did arrive. Now today the PPRuNe email service is refusing to even send the emails. They sit on the screen with a message saying:

"The message was rejected for the following reason: Permanent Failure: Message delivery failed. If you believe this message is an error, please review the User Service Agreement and contact Support."

Has anyone else had these sorts of problems? What can be done to restore reliable service to the PPRuNe email service?

If there is no likelihood of getting reliable service from PPRuNe email then what other email services are suggested as a replacement that will allow emails to be reliably sent and received anywhere in the world?

Carrier
26th Jan 2009, 16:20
Now I am unable to even log in to check my emails. I receive a message:
"Your account is suspended.
Please contact your administrator for more information."

What is going on at PPRuNe? Are Danny and Rob still having some input there? If not, who has taken over and how may they be contacted? How may the problems be solved and reliable email service resumed? Please answer: Danny, Rob, mods, whomever?

Saab Dastard
26th Jan 2009, 16:38
I'll flag this in the admin forum, but I suggest you also contact admin via the "contact us" link at the bottom of every page.

SD

frostbite
26th Jan 2009, 16:53
I hadn't even noticed there is such a thing as Pprune email!

Probably just as well.

preduk
26th Jan 2009, 17:19
If you contact me I can set you up an email account on my email provider, i.e [email protected] free of charge to use and it's using Googlemail for the interface.

I don't make any money from it, I just like running my own domain names for email.

If anyone else wants one of the accounts, send me a PM and I'll set it up for you.

Carrier
26th Jan 2009, 18:51
Thanks SD. I used the “contact us” link to contact admin. As well as copying them with the above, I also sent them this:

“For the past three months there have been increasing problems with this service. Now today I am unable to even login to pick up my messages.
Please remedy the problems to ensure that we receive reliable email service.
We both use our PPRuNe address for work so need to have the service restored without any further delay. We need to be able to receive incoming messages even if we are unable to send through PPRuNe email.”

This is not the first time this has happened. On a previous occasion in February 2008, after a few days and numerous emails using our backup service, PPRuNe email service was restored. Rob helped that time. There was no explanation of why it had been suspended. That this has happened again is a serious concern. I hope this problem will be promptly corrected. To have one’s email service arbitrarily and without notice withdrawn for no reason whatsoever is not acceptable. Most people use email for work, not just as a hobby. They therefore need to have reliable email service.

This reliability extends to both sending and receiving. For some years now Everyone.net has stopped users of PPRuNe email from sending emails from large parts of the Third World. Pilots visit these countries that are on Everyone.net's blackout list. Whether they are based in such countries or are visiting from elsewhere on duty or on vacation they still need to be able to send emails. This has been drawn to Everyone.net's attention but this uncaring company refuses to remedy the matter.

Presumably PPRuNe does not accept or approve of false and misleading advertising. What are we to think of PPRuNe's own advertising for its own email service? PPRuNe advertises:
Our web-based services are:
Free
Permanent
Globally Accessible
Private
SPAM-Free
Versatile
"Permanent" and "Globally Accessible" leave something to be desired!

The problems seem to be with Everyone.net. This company is unresponsive to advice of any problems and does not seem to understand the meaning of “customer service”.

It is time for PPRuNe to find a more reliable supplier for its email service!