PDA

View Full Version : Hours building

skyhigh14
26th Jan 2009, 08:49
Hi, I'm new to all of this so thought you guys could maybe ansa a question. I am looking to hours build from a basic PPL with a view to progressing to a Commercial licence and want to do this in a fun way gaining valuable and interesting experience. Does anyone have any experience of hours building in NZ.
Do you have any advice that you can share with me, best way to hours build wherever, value for money etc, thanks.

DaveD
26th Jan 2009, 09:07
Hmm... it's hard to call hour building fun I think, i know a few people towards the end of it happy to have got it done, either way I would probably recommend doing it the cheapest route, although if your loaded i suppose that doesn't matter :ok:

Mike Parsons
26th Jan 2009, 10:16
How big is the glider scene over there? Tugging gliders would be a free way of doing that!

LambOfGod
26th Jan 2009, 10:43
I was in NZ today I believe, just got home a few hours ago on an Emirates B773:)

But one place I saw a gliding club was Thames, although I know nothing at all about the club and I only saw the sign at the local airport, I mainly wanted to tell you I was in NZ and got to fly there and back as a PAX:}.

Yay, aeroplanes:ok:

Groundloop
26th Jan 2009, 11:05
it's hard to call hour building fun I think

If you don't think of it as fun maybe a career as a commercial pilot is not the way to go. If you're bored already....!

madlandrover
26th Jan 2009, 11:29
it's hard to call hour building fun I think, i know a few people towards the end of it happy to have got it done

That rather depends how you do it. I did mine while doing the ATPLs, and got the majority of it free - ferrying aircraft around Scotland for maintenance. Learned a lot about weather planning over those months! It's also worth using the hourbuilding to get used to doing a few longer trips (2+ hours airborne between stops, and flying 4+ hours a day) to remind yourself what flying's about... It should always be fun, even if also hard work. If you start to lose that passion for flying, or view the hour building as a necessary annoyance, then you're getting dangerously close to not wanting to fly.

LambOfGod
27th Jan 2009, 00:19
I'd agree that if you think it's boring already to do something else. But perhaps he meant the frustrating parts, like asking on PPRune and getting knowhere. Or perhaps some 50 year-old 747 captain who fell in love with aeroplanes when a Tiger Moth crash landed in his backyard. Then the next day he road his bike down to the local airport wich was a grass strip and payed his 2 pennis for a lesson. Then he would fly IFR but becuase it was 'Back Then' you proably tought yourself IFR...:ugh:

I might be a tad ignorant...:ok: