PDA

View Full Version : Domain name transfer?

mini
25th Jan 2009, 20:16
Hi all,

mini received the following in his in box, refers to my company's website. Can anyone explain what is going on? is this normal? should I agree?

"Attention: XXX,

Re: Transfer of XXX.com

BRANDON GRAY INTERNET SERVICES INC. dba Namejuice.com has received a request from Domain Registry of America on 1/12/2009 5:27:35 AM for us to become the new registrar of record.

You have received this message because you are listed as the Registered Name Holder or Administrative contact for this domain name in the WHOIS database.

Please read the following important information about transferring your domain name:

1) You must agree to enter into a new Registration Agreement with us. You can review the full terms and conditions of the Agreement at Brandon Gray Internet Services - NameJuice.com (http://namejuice.com/regagree.asp)
2) Once you have entered into the Agreement, the transfer will take place within five (5) calendar days unless the current registrar of record denies the request.
3) Once a transfer takes place, you will not be able to transfer to another registrar for 60 days, apart from a transfer back to the original registrar,in cases where both registrars so agree or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs.

If you WISH TO PROCEED with the transfer, you must respond to this message via one of the following methods (note if you do not respond by Friday, January 30, 2009, XXX.com will not be transferred to us.)."

Thanks, mini.

bnt
25th Jan 2009, 20:52
First: if there is a link in the email, DO NOT click it under any circumstances.

It reads like someone has gone to your existing registrar, and requested to transfer your domain to a new registrar. This is a request for confirmation: as the last paragraph says, if you do nothing else, nothing will happen.

A domain transfer can not happen unless the existing registrar makes the necessary changes to DNS, so that is usually where such a request is initiated. Are you able to get in to your existing domain registry account? If so, I suggest you change the password immediately, maybe contact them to see whether such a request was made, and by whom.

amanoffewwords
25th Jan 2009, 20:58
I suggest you change the password immediately, maybe contact them to see whether such a request was made, and by whom.

And make sure the domain is in locked status (this prevents unauthorised transfers).

Domain registry of America is one huge scam by the way - do a Google on them for more info.

preduk
25th Jan 2009, 21:51
Domain Registry of America do my head in, I get letters from them all the time about my domains.

I would lock your domains and delete the emails so they can't touch them.

bnt
25th Jan 2009, 22:16
I should have done a web search: this outfit is so notorious, there's a Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Registry_of_America) about their scams. In this case, it looks like the "target" registrar is wise to them, and you can probably ignore this. Blah. :*

amanoffewwords
26th Jan 2009, 11:07
In this case, it looks like the "target" registrar is wise to them

Not really, it's SOP (as laid out by ICANN & co.) to ask the owner of the domain to verify the transfer.

Which reminds me of another tip: keep you domain contact details up-to-date! In my case I have the owner details showing my client info (in case someone wishes to sue them for something!) and the tech contact info as myself to intercept the type of messages as above.

Having said that, one of my clients got fleeced over 70 notes (GBP) by DoA - she paid what she thought was an invoice (except that that they have complied with a court ruling and print a small "this is advertissement" message on their letters)

amofw

mini
2nd Feb 2009, 21:36
Endex... Thanks for the advice...

"Hello,

Per the e-mail below, the transfer of this domain has been cancelled.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact
us using the information below.

Alex
Brandon Gray Internet Services, Inc. DBA Namejuice
Tel: +1.905.415.2681
Fax: +1.905.415.2682

XXX wrote:
> Get F*cked.
>
> No change in domain name registrar.
>
> XXX."