PDA

View Full Version : 5 More Confusing Confuser Air Law Questions

Greg2041
18th Jan 2009, 19:20
.... OR IS IT JUST ME!

1. An aircraft is deemed airworthy when complying with the operational and maintenance limitations specified in both of the following:

i. in the aircraft flight manuals.
ii. markings and placards.

Note that the ICAO Airworthiness Technical Manual which was the 3rd option doesn’t apply in the Confuser. I thought it did?

2. In all aircraft in flight, the use of mobile telephones is not allowed, as such action may interfere with aircraft systems and is contrary to the Air Navigation Order, aircraft radio operating licence and telephone licence.

How is it that some of the airlines are talking about allowing mobile phone calls?

3. An aircraft C of A becomes invalid if the aircraft is repaired, modified and / or any of its equipment or the airframe itself is over-hauled.

Why would it not become invalid if the airframe hours exceed those specified in the C of A for any twelve month period. This was another option but apparently incorrect.

4. Minor replacements and/or repairs to an aircraft are legally permitted to be carried out by the aircraft's owner and/or operator under Regulation 16 of the Air Navigation (General) Order provided s/he holds a pilot's licence and that the aircraft MTWA is 2730kg or less and that the Certificate of Airworthiness applicable to that aircraft is in the 'Private' or 'Special' category.

Those repairs and / or replacements include:

A - replacement of unserviceable sparking plugs or landing gear tyres.
B - trimming of a damaged propeller.
C - replacement of a combined VHF comms / navigation equipment.
D - replacement of a VHF antenna.

Answer ‘A’ is correct BUT surely so is ‘D’ as according to the LAA technical leaflet which says that the replacement of VHF communications equipment, being equipment which is not combined with navigation equipment, would be legally permitted.

5. ICAO Annex 12 specifies that If observed from an aircraft in flight that another aircraft or surface craft is in distress, the appropriate action to be taken by the observing aircraft commander would be to:

A - alert the Distress and Diversion unit on 121.5 and leave the area.
B - alert the emergency services on the ATC frequency in use at that time and leave the area.
C - keep in sight the craft in distress until such time as her/his presence is no longer necessary.
D - aid search and rescue units in locating the craft in distress.

The PPL confuse says D is the correct answer but surely the answer is C as well?

Your advice as ever appreciated!

Greg

jxc
18th Jan 2009, 19:34
Just bear in mind that there are alot of so called trick answers in the real exam normally 2 can right but one is more right if you know what i mean . So Q5 answer D you are not just keeping above the aircraft but you are assisting search and rescue to the location

JXC

Fuji Abound
18th Jan 2009, 19:39
Now stop being such a cheapskate, I know PPRuNe is free but you would do better buying the PPL confuser. :)

steveking
18th Jan 2009, 20:07
Q2 is interesting as a friend has just bought 2 pair of lightspeed zulu's with the capability to bluetooth to your phone.

Gertrude the Wombat
18th Jan 2009, 20:15
Re mobile phones, the aircraft in which they are (or are to become) permitted contain their own base stations and the backhaul to the gound is by some other means, so the mobiles in the cabin

(1) are transmitting at a very low level, as the signal only has to go a few yards, thus minimising the opportunity for them to interfere with aircraft systems

(2) aren't talking to any BTS on the ground, which is what would be against the telephone Ts&Cs.

Yes mobile phones talking to BTSs on the ground do interfere with equipment in light aircraft - you can hear the interference with the VHF radio over your headphones, and it seems reasonable to suppose that there is also interference with the VOR on the adjacent band, and there is no reason that I'm aware of (corrections welcom) to suppose that this doesn't manifest itself by the needle pointing in the wrong direction and leading you astray.

Having said all of which I've been flying (not in the UK!) with an instructor who would answer his phone during lessons.

BackPacker
18th Jan 2009, 21:59
Note that the ICAO Airworthiness Technical Manual which was the 3rd option doesn’t apply in the Confuser.

Never heard of that document, but I would assume that that document is the reference to which the POH, placards and everything are compared, before a CofA is issued. As a pilot you do not need to concern you with it - unless you're a test pilot maybe.

as according to the LAA technical leaflet

The LAA (formerly PFA) mostly concerns itself with (homebuilt) aircraft on a Permit to Fly, and particularly technical leaflets may implicitly assume you're talking about those aircraft, not aircraft on a CofA. So be aware of the context of those leaflets before you apply them to your PPL exam.

Greg2041
18th Jan 2009, 22:22
Now stop being such a cheapskate, I know PPRuNe is free but you would do better buying the PPL confuser.

What makes you think I haven't got a copy? I wouldn't be able to quote the questions and answers if I didn't have a copy.

Now back to the questions. Is there anyone who actually knows the answers?

Ta

Greg

Mark1234
19th Jan 2009, 01:02
Hang on, as I understand it, aren't the answers in the confuser? :E

A little bit like driving - learn to pass the exam, then learn to drive (or not, in many instances) Not suggesting it's right, but at least you have the confuser, so you know what they want.

PompeyPaul
19th Jan 2009, 08:04
What makes you think I haven't got a copy? I wouldn't be able to quote the questions and answers if I didn't have a copy.

Now back to the questions. Is there anyone who actually knows the answers?

Ta

Greg

Just a cautionary word of advice. People here are posting their opinions and you should take all information you receive from PPrune as guidance. No matter how forcibly given, how much it is collaborated by other posters, it is merely guidance. If anything goes wrong it is YOU that is in court and on the end of a sharp stick from the CAA not the person on pprune who posted.

Whilst PPrune is a great resource, your instructor is really the person to ask these questions of. If you are struggling then go in and speak to them and talk through the answers.

Quite apart from the fact they have a better grasp of where you are in your flying, how it relates to you and (if you have a good school) they are also more clued up on this stuff. I suspect the vast majority of posters here would fail the AirLaw exam if they had to take it right now, without any preparation. In fact, most people would probably fail and then argue with the CAA that their test is wrong, such is the belligerence of these forums.

As an aside, it still makes me chuckle that Air Law talks about firing flare guns from your aircraft. To me that sounds VERY dangerous. I'd rather divert to somewhere with radio, or fly non-radio procedures, then start loading flares into guns and trying to shoot them out the window as I fly along.

dublinpilot
19th Jan 2009, 08:47
In fact, most people would probably fail and then argue with the CAA that their test is wrong, such is the belligerence of these forums.

:ok::D:D

Soooo true :D

Mariner9
19th Jan 2009, 09:17
As an aside, it still makes me chuckle that Air Law talks about firing flare guns from (my bold) your aircraft....I'd rather divert to somewhere with radio, or fly non-radio procedures, then start loading flares into guns and trying to shoot them out the window as I fly along.

Well, I've got my supply of humble pie on standbye just in case, but don't recall ever seeing a section in Airlaw regarding flare signals from aircraft (other than perhaps military?) Are you sure PP? := ;)

PompeyPaul
19th Jan 2009, 09:37
Well, I've got my supply of humble pie on standbye just in case, but don't recall ever seeing a section in Airlaw regarding flare signals from aircraft (other than perhaps military?) Are you sure PP? := http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gifCould be wrong but I'm pretty sure that Jeremy Pratt talks about it! I look it up tonight

dublinpilot
19th Jan 2009, 10:19
I've certainly seen the flares from aircraft thing. It's to do with radio failure, and is a response to light signals.

dp

Mariner9
19th Jan 2009, 11:00
You sure DP? What flares, and in response to what? Why don't Transair sell 'em if they maybe required?

dublinpilot
19th Jan 2009, 12:39
Took me ages to find it, but I knew I saw it somewhere....

Anyway it's here. Chapter 6, page 8, or page 52 of the pdf. (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP637.PDF)

Shows the aircraft with red and green flares. Can't see anyone using them though....I'm just trying to imagine firing them through the storm window on the PA28!

I don't believe that they are required...just an option....which I can't see Transair selling many of ;)

Mariner9
19th Jan 2009, 13:21
Well bu88er me!

Learnt the standard light and flare signals for both PPL & IR airlaw but never noticed a mention of flares from aircraft before! :O

chrisN
19th Jan 2009, 13:22
Am I missing something? I can’t find where flares are specifically permitted or required as equipment to be carried, but they cannot be forbidden if there is any sense in the ANO sections which include:

“Distress, urgency and safety signals
64.—(1) The following signals, given either together or separately before the sending of a message, signify that an aircraft is threatened by grave and imminent danger and requests immediate assistance—
[snip]
(b) by visual signalling–
[snip]
(ii) a succession of pyrotechnic lights fired at short intervals each showing a single red light;

[snip]

(2) The following signals, given either together or separately, before the sending of a message, signify that the commander of the aircraft wishes to give notice of difficulties which compel it to land but that he does not require immediate assistance—

(a) a succession of white pyrotechnic lights . . ”

Chris N.

Final 3 Greens
19th Jan 2009, 15:37
Anyone (whilst P1) tried to take a flare gun through "skurity?"

Fuji Abound
19th Jan 2009, 16:07
Now stop being such a cheapskate, I know PPRuNe is free but you would do better buying the PPL confuser.

Sorry to quote myself :), which was indeed a bit tongue in cheek, but to answer your question, I have no idea if you have the Confuser.

The fact of the matter is you can ask whatever you like on here but the Confuser and the question bank are what they are. Assuming your interest is in passing the exam you simply need to do what the rest of us did - learn the material and then learn the answers that are expected of you - sit the exam. pass it, and move on to pastures slightly more interesting.

Unless things have changed the Confuser does not have the exact questions that will appear in the actual paper in any event. Moreover, it should be reasonably obvious that it will not take into account the very latest of developments. Everyone knows that mobile 'phones are "traditionally" banned from use in cockpits and the rational for the ban. Matters may indeed be changing, and some of us my well use our mobiles in flight anyway, but that doesnt change the answer you know you should probably give. :)

Sorry to be a bit harsh, and perhaps unreasonably, but your post suggests a different agenda. :) :) - if you are about to take the exam, just concentrate on passing it - it really is not that exciting.

IO540
19th Jan 2009, 16:25
Half the questions expect answers which are plain wrong, but this is an exam and you have to pass it just once per life.

Greg2041
19th Jan 2009, 19:21
Ladies and Gentleman,

I have read Pratt's book twice and was advised the Confuser was a useful tool in exam preparation. Actually, I have no idea if it is useful at all but to hear that I will be paying the CAA to sit an examination where the answers are wrong is slightly worrying.

It's clear that I have been taking aviation law far too seriously so if anyone can tell me how I can learn the wrong answers to the questions, will you let me know? Better than that, can you email me the questions so I can try to work out which ones are the nearest wrong answers?

On a serious note, I do appreciate all the posts and the humour, particularly when you abuse each other, so please carry on........

Greg x

chrisbl
19th Jan 2009, 20:01
Wait till you try the ATPL exams then.

Fuji Abound
19th Jan 2009, 20:27
I think you have lost the plot or are just having a bit of fun with us :)

It's clear that I have been taking aviation law far too seriously so if anyone can tell me how I can learn the wrong answers to the questions, will you let me know?

It is not a matter of learning the wrong answers, but learning which answers are more wrong than the others.

It is a bit like flying you see.

Often when things go wrong, there is no correct answer, just a whole load of things definitely not to do, and a few things likely to work - the trick is working out those likely to work. :}

.. .. .. so you see it is all good training.

.. .. .. and we dont exactly abuse each other, we are just perfecting our technique for dealing with ATC. :) :)

Gertrude the Wombat
19th Jan 2009, 22:55
It's clear that I have been taking aviation law far too seriously so if anyone can tell me how I can learn the wrong answers to the questions, will you let me know?
(1) Learn the right wrong answers from the books and confuser.

(2) Actually there may be some bits of air law which it's just about worth taking seriously, y'know, rights of way, that sort of stuff.

(3) There's lots that's completely irrelevant, like when you need 1800m visibility and when you are legal with 1500m, given that the right answer, which isn't an option on the exam paper, is "don't be daft, I fly for fun, on a day like that I wouldn't even drive to the airfield".

Occlusion
8th May 2009, 15:39
I answered all those questions correctly but still achieved 72.5%, so i'm afraid I won't be moving onto pastures slightly more interesting.

Part of the reason, although not encompassing, was that there were certain questions relating amended legislation. The exam paper stated on the front "to be used for exams after 05/09". I am adament that the 2.5% percentiles were down to this very matter.

The other reason was of course, placing far too much reliance on the PPL confuser, and there were a couple of 'curve ball' questions switching the answers and the questions around.

Very disappointing, no moving on for me, for another 2 weeks! :ugh:

BEagle
8th May 2009, 19:33
Yes, for those of you relying on the PPL Confuser, several of the PPL(A) and PPL(H) exams have recently been withdrawn and new ones released.

Ask yourselves which areas of aviation have recently seen changes and you won't go far wrong.

worrab
8th May 2009, 21:33
Air Traffic Services and...?

Greg2041
15th May 2009, 19:08
Thank you gentlemen and ladies. I will probably be sitting my exams next month so I guess I will be sitting the 2009 PPL CAA exams.

I have done a lot of reading but as the questions have changed, is there any value in purchasing the latest PPL CONFUSER by Tom Stephens?

By the way what happened to Neung Sornying?

Fly-by-Wife
15th May 2009, 19:13
By the way what happened to Neung Sornying?

He's in a home for the confused.

FBW

worrab
15th May 2009, 23:16
It would appear that he has recently died:

FLYER Forums • View topic - *** FREE: "The PPL Confuser" by Neung Sornying *** (http://forums.flyer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=50362&view=next&sid=30796735c86465ef1de46a8a89603b71)

(Hope that link isn't impolitic)

Greg2041
16th May 2009, 20:07
If that's true, my thoughts are with his family.

Greg

Greg2041
17th May 2009, 17:02
Back to the original question though, is there any value in purchasing the latest PPL CONFUSER by Tom Stephens?

Thanks