PDA

View Full Version : Full Sutton aero club

hightower1986
16th Jan 2009, 20:02
Was wondering if anyone is part of the full sutton club on here and could tell me what they think of it? went up there the other week (by car) but no flying due to poor vis, looks like a nice easy to fly from field and Cas Smith was friendly and helpful as ever. Im going to NZ for 3 months next month to start my ppl so will be wanting somewhere to continue when i return. Any info appreciated, also wouldnt mind seeing some of your pictures from the air/whats local to go see? Im Near Shipton on the A19 so is fairly local, either there or BAGBY i think. cheers

flybymike
17th Jan 2009, 00:19
I think that Jenny on the Flyer forum is familiar with Full Sutton

L'aviateur
17th Jan 2009, 09:33
Not been to Full Sutton yet, probably will go when i'm home next month. But I love Bagby, only been a few times, but the aerobatics in the overhead make it interesting. Also very friendly a good food, lots of great airfields nearby.

juliet india mike
17th Jan 2009, 16:45
I learned at Fulll Sutton. The welcome from Cas is what you get from everyone. You will have seen that the facilities are basic, but provide all you need. School aircraft are fine, many shareoplanes also there.

The is seldom any waiting to take off after engine start, so no wasted lesson time. Rates are the best around, instruction first class and you won't get messed around by having different instructors each lesson. I got my licence in 45.3 hours spread over 15 months and later did my night qual there (used Doncaster and Full Sutton. If you can land at night at Full Sutton you can land anywhere)

Adam taught me, very good in the air and in the classroom. He offers fast track lessons too (google "thegreatcircle").

The airfield is in Class G airspace, you get ATC from RAF Lynton on Ouse in the week and Humberside at weekends.

It is a grass runway which makes you feel like a pioneer aviator, and when you go to tarmac places it seems too easy with all them extra runway markings to help.

Very nice scenery in the area too, and the coast is 15 minutes away.

Altogether a :ok:

ak7274
18th Jan 2009, 11:58
I fly from Full Sutton. It's a quiet but friendly place. If you just want to fly then it works really well. Make your own coffee/tea etc.
The grass strip is a smooth as any other in the area.
Last time I looked C150/152 x2...£78 PA28 Cherokee 140 x2.......£90 PA28 Warrior 160 x2.....£115.
Availability is reasonable too.
Membership is £90,all t/o ldgs inc.

soaring_steph
26th May 2009, 13:25
I fly from Bagby and love it. They have a selection of aircraft, a range of pilots from very beginner to aerobatic aces and very friendly members. Definately pop along and have a look around :-)

tezzer
26th May 2009, 14:48
Adam was teaching me (and my daughter too) at one point, and he's a star.
The rates are good, in fact so good I must phone in and make an appointment to pick up my lessons where I left off.

JUST-local
23rd Mar 2010, 12:48
What is the difference between helping people with web links and adverts for your services at your flying school?

I have looked at the pprune rules and don't seem to be able to find the bit that says this ok?

Fake Sealion
23rd Mar 2010, 15:14
I have flown from FS a few times and each time struck by the warm welcome given. New website says it all I guess (long time in coming!) Both FS and Bagby are grass strips so expect some downtime during winter months :{ Bagby does not have anything like the range of instruction or aircraft to hire as FS but both offer excellent local flying areas in a basic no frills way.

As always advice is to go along and see each for yourself.

stiknruda
23rd Mar 2010, 18:51
I rate Cas as a man, a pilot and an instructor. Top chap!

ak7274
23rd Mar 2010, 19:48
Just looked at pprune rules too. Doesn't say it's not ok either. As a none CAA person I like to take the "if it's not Banned do it" way of life rather than the "if it's not actually permitted it's banned" view

pmh1234
23rd Mar 2010, 21:58
I did the IMC rating there with Stuart as instructor and Adam as examiner. I did the fast track with Thegratcirle. Started on a Saturday and finished training Wednesday and passed the day after. Stayed there in a B&B and had the complete IMC course done in less than a week.
It is a nice and friendly place.

Capn Kangaroo
28th Mar 2010, 21:35
I completed my PPL up there about 18 months ago, and went back to do my IMC and Night with Adam 6 months later.

Cas is an absolute diamond, as is Adam!

Cas is an aerobatics instructor and competes (or at least used to) at very high levels, and is extremely accomplished from what I can gather.

Adam used to be a teacher in his previous life, and it shows .. his ground school is excellent, not to mention his flight instruction is relaxed and empowering ... all in all a very good little outfit

The grass strip is interesting ... especially at night as only half the lights worked (hopefully they've had those fixed by now!). About half way along there's a taxiway which you instinctively want to stop before - but don't, land uphill and use all the grass.

The approach to the tarmac is "interesting" to say the least (actually a taxi way, but when the grass is a swamp fly along the prison wall and then a tight 90 degree turn at 250') .. oh and do not overfly the prison under any circumstances! (unless you fancy an all expenses paid holiday at Her Majesty's pleasure :)

Anyway .. great bunch of guys ... and I've recommended them to several friends over the last year or so ...

RVR800
7th Apr 2010, 15:40
Their web site is at

Learn to Fly with Flying Lessons in York and North Yorkshire | Full Sutton Airfield and Flying Club - PPL Training, Experience and Trial Flights and Aircraft Hire. (http://www.fullsuttonairfield.com/)

Been going for years ..