PDA

View Full Version : Navigation question...

Put1992
14th Jan 2009, 17:14
The question is related to another question on a flight from Shoreham (N5050.03 W00017.57) to Wattisham (N5207.62 e00057.47) via farthing corner (N5119.80 E00036.17) from the PPL confuser.

Q48 Prior to reaching the Southend Zone, you are at an altitude of 2000ft and experience a complete radio failure.
You should:
A - Squawk 7600, turn left to leave the Southend Zone to the east
B - Squawk 7600 turn right and track north via the Essex coast remaining at 2000ft on the Chatham Regional Pressure Setting
C - Squawk 7500 climb to 3500ft on the Chatham Regional Pressure setting to remain vertically well clear of the Southend Zone
D - Squawk 7600 maintain present altitude, turn right and leave the southend zone to the west.

A, the squawk is correct, but (correct me if there is a reason) why would you turn left to point to a direction thats to the right of you? And why would you leave the zone, when in the question it says "prior to reaching"?

B, Seems the most likely to me, as it would get you away from controlled airspace and give you a chance to hold and consider your options

C can be eliminated because of the incorrect squawk.

D, again, turning right to go to something thats left, and leaving a zone you're not even in???

The book says the correct answer is A :confused::confused::confused:

Mariner9
14th Jan 2009, 17:42
Just a terminology issue in answer A - turn left to pass to the west of Sarfend (without entering the zone), which would then "leave" the zone to the East of your position.

Option B is potentially dangerous due to the danger areas

C is incorrect for the reasons you state.

D is potentially correct (same terminology issues in the answer though) if you're "brave" enough to squeeze thro' the gap between sarfend's zone and the DA

Though a more likely Prooner answer would be to pull your spare ICOM from your flight bag coz aircraft immediately crash and burn if the pilot's not in radio contact with anyone :rolleyes:

IO540
14th Jan 2009, 21:15
To drop a spanner in the works:

Southend cannot see squawks because they do not have secondary radar, or an SSR feed.

I suppose if you squawk 7600 that will light up a few ATC xmas trees and then somebody might phone up Southend and tell them - IF they suspect you were talking to them to start with...

London Information cannot (officially) see squawks either.

I don't really understand the questions, as the flight appears to be outside CAS. Maybe it is a word play, like many CAA questions?

Jim59
14th Jan 2009, 23:49
Wasn't it Southend, a few years ago, where an inbound pilot got radio failure and called them on his mobile 'phone?