PDA

View Full Version : Sex and the Naval Aviator - Video

flipster
13th Jan 2009, 21:16
Hi all,

Although this looks like a raunchy thread - regrettably, it is not.....boo hiss yah!

'Sex and the Naval Aviator' was the title given to a couple of 'human factors' presentations given by Capt Frank Dully, a US Naval flight surgeon. Dully was the one who coined the term 'failing aviator' (amongst others) and is often thought of as one of the 'founding fathers' of human factors/CRM; his insightful approach and observations are most thought-provoking.

Does anyone know from where I can get a copy of these presentations? I believe there are 2 talks, each about 55 mins long, which were given to US flight crews in 1980s.

The videos are mentioned on the Transport Canada's website for HF/CRM video resources but, sadly, they say they no longer have copies. I have also tried RAF/Mil Flight Safety bods at Northolt -no answer. Any leads gratefully received.

please PM me if req'd

flipster

ps Many ex mil crews out there will have seen the well-received video 'The Failing Aviator' which is delivered along the same lines (this time, given by a USAF Lt Col) but it is based on Frank Dully's work.

ShyTorque
13th Jan 2009, 21:29
Sex and the Naval Aviator - Video

Isn't this a gay movie? :oh:

exscribbler
13th Jan 2009, 23:55
It wouldn't necessarily be a gay movie but it would certainly be very short. :E

TheWestCoast
14th Jan 2009, 04:44
:eek:Does it involve beach volleyball and arguments in the showers?

PPRuNeUser0139
14th Jan 2009, 08:04
Think this is the one where one of the warning signals that a 'failing aviator' sends out is if he turns up for work in a yellow Porsche..

Any yellow Porsche owners out there care to comment?:E

hunterboy
14th Jan 2009, 10:11
Would a metallic grey one be ok?

green granite
14th Jan 2009, 11:02
Have you tried the US Navy? The US embassy in London might help.

flipster
14th Jan 2009, 15:17
Thanks - I hadn't thought of US Embassy (but I have tried other USN contacts, still awaiting a reply, of course).

exscribbler
14th Jan 2009, 23:30
Will Guards Red with pin-stripe upholstery suit you, sir?

Monty77
15th Jan 2009, 17:43
Flipster,

I saw that vid back in the 90s. It was on an RAF Flt Safety CSE and portrayed the aforementioned USAF Col. He was, as I recall, a psychiatrist/turned pilot/turned/er, something else probably.

Fascinating. Didn't stop me killing my wife and burying her under the new patio. Along with the others. Which was nice.

MMMNNIce. Or not.

Ha Ha.

It's the weekend. Somewhere.

flipster
15th Jan 2009, 20:05
Monty 77

You are probably referring to the 'failing aviator' video, which is still in circulation. That particular presentation was the one given the USAF 'half-bird'. However, the 'Sex and the Naval Av8r' vids that I'm after are earlier ones given by the originator of the terms 'rogue aviator', 'distressed aviator' and, of course, 'failing aviator' - a Capt F Dully USN.

Have heard back from The States - many people have seen the presentations - just no-one has a copy - bvgger!

If you've seen the failing aviator, at least now you'll know why you killed the missus - so think yourself lucky!!!:ok:

flipster
17th Jan 2009, 10:51
Interestingly, I have had more emails from the states - some of those that had seen these vids (or had the presentation direct) thought they were better than the failing av8r one. Particulary, their wives who got to understand what made their aviator husbands tick and why they were 'difficult' sometimes - apparently it saved a number of marriages!

flip

Monty77
23rd Jan 2009, 19:09
flipster.

If you ever get hold of of the failing aviator vid, please let me know. It's CRM gold dust, and valid for any pilot, regardless of what you fly. Cheers :ok:

Tourist
31st Jan 2009, 07:49
I have the Failing Aviator as VCD or Mpeg (650Mb)
It isn't great quality video, but the audio is fine.
Who would like it, and how can I dist it online?

A SHUFFLE
31st Jan 2009, 09:46
Tourist,

Watched the video a few years ago on a course and would love to get hold of a copy. No idea how to put it on-line - bit of a computer biff!

A Shuffle

Op_Twenty
31st Jan 2009, 09:56
Tourist, stick it on YouTube, should annoy the yanks, would be interested to see how long it stays there. Flip - I've also hunted for those presentations you mentioned after you helped me out before but, alas, have so far been unsuccessful.

Tourist
31st Jan 2009, 10:07
At over an hour, it is far too long for YouTube, looking into seeding it as a torrent.

OK, it would appear that torrents are beyond my capability. Any ideas?

The Nr Fairy
1st Feb 2009, 09:01
Don't know how to, but I've seen long videos split into multiple bits to go onto YouTube.

flipster
1st Feb 2009, 22:25
Op 20

TVM M8! I have a few contacts out in the States who are working on it. Will let u know how it goes.

Happy Landings

Flip

Shuffle/Tourist/Monty - PM me - I have a copy of FA and 'Distractions' that I can copy (in return for a suitable donation to RAFBF).

Tourist
3rd Feb 2009, 15:08
Most of "The Failing Aviator" now on you tube, having a bit of trouble with the end due to poor video quality, working on it.

YouTube - Failing aviator episode 1 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WecvU_QYt_c)
YouTube - Failing aviator episode 2 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pFZBxpiMMHI)
YouTube - Failing aviator Episode 3 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8znSdxIbaY4)
YouTube - Failing aviator Episode 4 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yWsLDCB3FDs)
YouTube - Failing aviator Episode 5 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uDz-O6VyYPI)

Rossian
3rd Feb 2009, 16:21
Thank you for taking the trouble to divvy that up and post it. It's more than 10 years since I stopped flying but I sat there with burning ears at some of his insights.
The Ancient Mariner

PS Is there a part 6 still to come?

Tourist
3rd Feb 2009, 16:58
yes, inbound, just had to do some tidying up with Adobe before youtube would upload it

Tourist
3rd Feb 2009, 18:17
All now uploaded.
The last 2 sections are in a different scale, but then the visuals were never that special anyway. The audio should be fine.
Enjoy

Rossian
3rd Feb 2009, 18:28
I've searched i utube using "failing aviator" and drawn blanks.........?? What am I doing wrong?
The Ancient Mariner

Tourist
3rd Feb 2009, 18:49
YouTube - Failing aviator Episode 6 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v5vE4MPwyNo)
YouTube - Failing aviator Episode 7 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WY2XHUDsPQ0)

Rossian
3rd Feb 2009, 20:33
Thanks again, matey. Really thought-provoking stuff; and yes, I've seen all the examples that he described in those last two clips and I only did something about it in one case. Two divorces, one suicide and two alcoholics. Mea culpa.
The Ancient Mariner

Chugalug2
3rd Feb 2009, 22:01
Dang, but that man's good, isn't he? Not so much surprised that he had me banged to rights, but how come he knows so much about Mrs C? A classic video in every sense and well worth downloading and saving to the PC, though the .vlc playlist continuity may leave a little to be desired, it is on the whole "fine, thankyou"! I'd give you "Heat and Rep" Tourist, but that's for another forum, so suffice to say thank you, to both you and Flipster, for revealing rather more about myself than I really wanted to know!

LowObservable
4th Feb 2009, 16:17
Move over Dr Phil...

flipster
4th Feb 2009, 17:26
Thanks Tourist,

It is rather good, isn't it?

flip

PPRuNeUser0139
5th Feb 2009, 13:15
Many thanks for making this gem available.. I saw it aeons ago and had given up all hope of ever finding a copy again.
It would be interesting to hear a UK military shrink's perspective on aircrew personality traits.
sv

jolly girl
11th Feb 2009, 15:21
Hi All,
I found this to be a very entertaining video, but when I went to check his reference list all I could find was a similar paper in a 1983 edition of the Society of Automotive Engineers (http://www.avia141.com/Articles/Lifestyle%20Keys.pdf) that ended with: "Note: The opinions presented in this paper are those of the author. No endorsement by the Department of the Navy has been given or should be inferred."
Would anyone have access to the reference list / sources he used to compile this presentation? or is it merely an opinion piece based on anecdotal evidence?
I thank you in advance,
Jolly

PileUp Officer
11th Feb 2009, 17:50
Sex and the Naval Aviator - Video
Isn't this a gay movie?

You're thinking of the Anal Naviator

Rossian
11th Feb 2009, 18:26
Jolly Girl

I think you'll find that most of the aircrew who've watched/listened to this don't need a "reference list", they've LIVED it and recognised instantly what he was on about.
The Ancient Mariner

jolly girl
11th Feb 2009, 22:36
Rossian,
That may be (and I may see a little of myself in it as well), but would you want your aircraft designed and qualified to that same standard?
;-)
Jolly

flipster
12th Feb 2009, 09:00
JG

You are right to want to quantify things - we are CONTROLLERS, after all!

In fact, it might be an idea to conduct further studies to win over the very few 'doubting Thomases'.

However, I think what Ross (or is it Ian?) is trying to say is that you don't need studies nor statistics to tell you that water is wet, ice is cold or that fire is hot. When you see something so obviously correct, you can accept that at face value. Soooo many people feel that, after watching TFA, Frank Dully and the USAF chap were spot-on - if you want confirmation, ask the wives/husbands!

The only unfortunate aspect of TFA is that some aviators can't remember the gist of the whole presentation and assume that because we are predictable, emotionally-distant, mission-orientated, compartmentalising controllers that we ALL are destined to become failing aviators.

That, of course, is not the point the guys were trying to make. Just that people like us need our skills to do what we do but if there are too many outside distractions, we can lose the ability to compartmentalise; sometimes with disastrous consquences. Furthermore, it is only our peer group whom we will listen - for which I can vouch.

Very occasionally, you find someone who says
"Its all bollox' ....but everyone in the room knows differently as that person is usually the most distant, overcontrolling compartmentaliser on the unit. Perhaps they are so 'controlling' that they do not like being 'discovered' and that they see a correct assessment of their inner-being as a threat to their individuality or, at least, some form of control over them. They don't like it and as they say,

"They exit stage left".

Now, if you don't mind, I must go for a blast in my new Porsche but, really, I'm fine thank you!

flip

Occasional Aviator
12th Feb 2009, 23:22
Many thanks Tourist, I'm really glad I get to see this again - when I first saw it on the flying authorisers' course it sparked an interest in me that eventually led to my MA dissertation. I also recommend "Darker Shades of Blue" by Tony Kern if you can find a copy - very similar ground and with some fascinating case studies [and referenced for JG!].

Maverick Laddie
13th Feb 2009, 00:05
Unfortunately :{at my current location where the religious nutters:} rule U Tube is band :ouch:so will have to await the end of my tour :ok:and watch it at home

Tourist
13th Feb 2009, 10:37
More than happy to send a dvd of it to someone better than me at sticking it online either by torrent or some other means beyond my capabilities.

ShapeShifter1946
10th Mar 2013, 13:27
You sure got a drubbing from the forum on this. I saw the film several times in the 1970s and early 80s. In fact our squadron's flight surgeon was the first to introduce it. The primary thrust of the film was the fact that a good aviator was also very good at compartmentalization. I also would like to find a copy of the film/video. For many years it could be ordered from the Navy's Training Films Library. Perhaps there is still a copy in their archives.

Lonewolf_50
11th Mar 2013, 14:39
Dully's characterization of "the emasculating bitch" is one of the best non PC descriptions of certain women married to men who are achievement oriented people.

Sadly for the "truth" that element of his analysis will tend to be deleted in our brave new world inhabited by people afraid to speak out about why marriages fail.

Dully's film was a hell of a wake up call. He had a few sessions filmed whose intended audience was not Naval Aviators, but their spouses.
" If you want to know why your husband does what he does, you'll know but you won't be able to do much about it other than understand"

was part of his message. Most women then, and even more empowered women now, are unable to accept that truth either. The emotional blackmail of "but if you love me you'll change" still destroys marriages.

Best advice I got before marriage: You'd better like her as she is, since she's unlikely to change for anything "Better" than on the day you drive the model off the show room floor. I wish women were given that advice as well.

(Full disclosure: once married, still married, 20+ years, and with every intention of remaining so. I've seen so many marriages crash and burn among my colleagues, however, that there were times I wonder why anyone married, at all.)

Dully was was good for his time. He did a great job of describing people who he interacted with every day. Current Navy still uses "life change points" checklist as a helping tool for aircrew and Ops officers to answer the usual question:

"Should Jennings be in the cockpit today, or does he need to complete FOD walkdown in his personal life first?"

I'd say Dr Phil owes Dully a debt. Caveat: Dully didn't use the scientific method of analysis, as he had poor tools for quantifying his observations.

His analysis, however, while being labeled as "anecdotal" is certainly based on a LOT of observation. A number of my psychologist friends believe that over time, Dully started to read his own news clippings and began to belief he was preaching a new Gospel. Not a surprise, and a very human habit. It in no way diminishes the value of what he tried to alert his leadership chain to: if we don't understand our pilots, we'll keep having human factors based mishaps at rates we find unacceptable.

Pete R
13th Mar 2013, 08:54
Thanks Tourist. Brought back many memories and the lessons/observations contained within were useful in a number of guises and, dare I say it, case historys on tours back on the Sqn. Pls check your PMs when you have an opportunity. :ok:Cheers. Pete R

TedK
18th Nov 2014, 16:45
Was anyone ever able to get a copy of Dully's Sex and the Naval Aviator briefing?

Lonewolf_50
19th Nov 2014, 15:12
http://www.pprune.org/military-aviation/357944-sex-naval-aviator-video-2.html#post4693271

That link from Tourist is chapters 6 and 7 of the Failing Aviator series.

You will find most of his stuff at the youtube with the titles of the Failing Aviatior parts 1 through 7, perhaps more.

I sat through all of them, most on Beta Max and one in person, back in the 1980's. As a junior officer, I wasn't all that interested in speaking to an old Captain who wasn't an aviator. So I didn't. Plus, a whole lot of people wanted to talk to him in person after our briefing, so I'd likely not have had the chance.

OKOC
21st Nov 2014, 09:01
Here is the Darker Shades of Blue. It is VERY long!

Darker Shades of Blue:

A Case Study of Failed Leadership

By

Major Tony Kern
United States Air Force

Copyright 1995, Anthony T. Kern

This document may not be reproduced without the written consent of the author.

Sorry Guys I just noticed this clause above. You can find it on Google though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Basil
21st Nov 2014, 14:29
I'm up to 4 - family interactions. Reminds me of comment by younger daughter:
D2: "Pilots are arrogant cnuts!"
Bas: "Oh, have you met one?"
D2: "No!"
Bas: :\