PDA

View Full Version : How different is it really.

VFR Transit
10th Jan 2009, 15:47
I am heading out to the USA for my piggyback licence and will get my BFR completed at the same time, however I want to get some pre USA work done before heading out.

Can anyone tell me how different flying in the USA is and what should I do before my trip out. Can anyone tell me what flight forwarding is and any good places to visit.

Thanks In advance
VFR

VFR Transit
10th Jan 2009, 17:44
SoCal App

Thanks very much for your responce and will be a great help. I must admit that I have not limited myself to any specific part of the USA, as some people think Florida is a good place to go where as others think the west coast is better.

I am prepared to look at any state in the USA that can offer me a nice flying weather and great places to visit.

Thanks
VFR

dont overfil
10th Jan 2009, 17:57
SoCals advice about getting the FAR/AIM manual is spot on correct but can I also suggest Rod Machados "Private Pilots Handbook." This is not an official publication but is an easy and very entertaining read. There are many ideas to help you memorise some of the regulations.
Read in conjunction with the FAR/AIMs, there is lots of practical advice (and Jokes).
DO.

Final 3 Greens
10th Jan 2009, 19:07
Flying the aeroplane/airplane is exactly the same.

The airspace is a little different.

The radio is a little different.

Aviate/Navigate/Communicate.

This will help you with the radio

Amazon.com: Captain Carlson's Airplane Talk: The Complete Book of Vfr and Ifr Communications: Glenn Carlson: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Carlsons-Airplane-Talk-Communications/dp/0961195401), your CFI will take you through the airspace.

Socal has posted some very good advice.

Enjoy yourself.

172driver
10th Jan 2009, 19:45
First of all - flying in the US is GREAT :ok:

In addition to the advice already given, you may wish to get a little book called 'Say again, please'. It's an ASA publication, should be easy to find. Covers the various aspects of ATC. Also be prepared that some of the controllers will have a hard time understanding your UK accent. Bit irritating at first, but you'll get used to it (and perhaps adopt a more 'Yankee' style pronounciation ;))

Also from ASA is 'Guide to the Flight Review' which gives you an excellent overview of the, errr.... Flight Review !

AFAIK both ASA publications are available from the usual suspects in the UK.

Have fun !:ok:

BackPacker
10th Jan 2009, 19:56
Can anyone tell me what flight forwarding is

I don't know about flight forwarding, but I know flight following is to a very large extent comparable to a RAS in the UK, but then offered to VFR flights.

You'll get a discrete squawk and are then watched over by a controller. I don't know if that controller takes on IFR-like responsibilities for separation but they will give you traffic information at least. If possible and practical they'll arrange handovers and so forth.

Just remember one thing: when they lose radar contact they'll say so and have you "squawk VFR". That 1200, not 7000, in the US.

BHenderson
10th Jan 2009, 20:01
If you want a workout, I suggest look near the big destinations such as LA and Miami. My preference is for LA.

n5296s
10th Jan 2009, 22:03
A couple of things I'd add... first, the radio differences amount to different names for much the same thing. A couple of hours with one of the mentioned books will sort you on that. For example, once in the air you are talking to either "approach" or "center", not "radar" or "radio". Also the use of the ICAO standard airspace designations is very different. Practically all airspace is controlled (mostly class E) but you are welcome in it. Class A exists only above FL180. Big airports are class B. And so on.

The other big difference (apart from everything being 2/3s cheaper) is that you are always sharing the system with everyone else, big stuff included. My impression in the UK is that there are pretty much two systems, one for the grown-ups and one for the little guys. The two only rarely intersect.

By contrast, in the US, you will be talking to the same controllers as the jets, nearly all the time (the exception being towers at small towered airports). If you visit the San Francisco area, you can fly a "Bay Tour" almost overhead SFO, talkling to SFO tower. (That has been covered here and on other sites many times, google will find everything you need to know).

n5296s

Semu
10th Jan 2009, 23:32
Depends what you are after. I use to own a flight school incidentaly. You can get some time in a taildragger out in class G airspace (there is actually quite a bit of the stuff, though mainly with Rocky Mountains sticking up in it) aerobatic, seaplane, etc. etc. I strongly encourage shopping around. If an operator won't answer your questions, there are lots more. There are a lot of areas if you want to mix up busy and quiet airport flying, Dallas or Houston or Chicago all come to mind. SoCal can be a lot of fun, but also more expensive. The BFR itself should be a non event, if you are reasonably current. If I had someone that was slighty marginal, I would generally just extend the flight for another hour, perfectly normal. I generally give the oral exam right out of the ASA Private Pilot Oral Exam Guide (Seperate document from the Private Pilot Pratical Test Standard, free at http://www.faa.gov/education_research/testing/airmen/test_standards/pilot/media/FAA-S-8081-14A.pdf) The BFR is not the whole PTS, just to that standard.

The paperwork for someone out of country on the other hand...

PM if you have questions.

TheGorrilla
10th Jan 2009, 23:42
The radio is a little different

I'd say... It's gash as hell!

Duchess_Driver
10th Jan 2009, 23:56
....just like there is some Gash radio work here in the U.K.

I've never had a problem (of anybody elses making) with the radio in the US. Once couldn't hear / undestand the controllers southern draaaaawl - not his fault!

6 = 2 * 3

DD

effortless
11th Jan 2009, 16:53
A good practice is to mutter "keskeeldee?" before every response. US ATC just love these little touches. Especially at internationals :ok:

Fuji Abound
11th Jan 2009, 17:38
The radio is a little different

I'd say... It's gash as hell!

The trouble is they dont speak English .. .. ..

.. .. .. sorry it just had to be said.

(First time there many many years ago they kept calling all these Turkeys, that really got me, until I realised they were PA28s - why Turkeys, I still havent heard a convincing explanation)

Cusco
11th Jan 2009, 18:01
Come and spend a day flying round Lakenheath/Mildenhall CMATZ in E Anglia: you'll soon get the hang of the speed and content of US R/T.

Cusco;)

S-Works
11th Jan 2009, 18:16
I am in Florida again at the moment flying. Hot and sunny for a start but the aviation is so relaxed. The most noticable thing which was pointed out earlier is the fact that everything is fair use for all and 747 gets the same first class treatment.

Worth the effort. Off to Venice for lunch I think.

IO540
11th Jan 2009, 19:10
I did my IR in the USA.

It takes a few days to suss out the radio. They have a slightly different terminology but also the "American English" accent is a problem for some UK pilots.

The airspace is very different and the charts need to be understood. A lot of airspace classes are implied, whereas ont he UK VFR chart all airspace is explicitly marked except G which is implied.

Likewise for pilot briefings - you can phone the old 1-800-WX-BRIEF but most US pilots use a variety of internet services for weather, notams etc.

The publications (like the airport directory) also need to be sussed; a lot of the info there is in code abbreviations.