PDA

View Full Version : Lapsed Licence

Cessna Boy
4th Jan 2009, 00:28
Looks like me and Mrs CB are going to be moving to the UK pretty soon, and I just need some info on how to get my PPL back!

It expired June 07, so my 5 years is gone. I am still flying on my Australian licence over here, so I am hoping a few hours training to get me back to the UK way of things and then my PPL skills test should do the trick, (need to get my night rating current again also!).

I did try to find the info in LASORS, but with no luck.

Can anyone help me out on what the damage will be for me?

Thanks in advance.

BackPacker
4th Jan 2009, 08:40
You may have been looking in the wrong section (section C - PPL).

Under JAR-FCL, you can only renew a license if you have a valid class rating. So first and foremost you've got to renew your SEP(land) class rating. Info in section F1.5.

There is an interesting provision there:

Where an applicant can show that they are currently
flying under the privileges of an ICAO licence, and
are flying the same aircraft type/class within their UK
or JAR-FCL licence, the renewal requirements will
be based on the expiry date of the rating currently
being exercised.

So you do need to do a skills test in any case. But this provision might save you some money since the examiner may legally renew your SEP rating, instead of having to send it off to the CAA. But to be honest, straight after this you'll need to send things to the CAA in any case, to renew your PPL. See section C5 for that.

Alternatively, have you considered flying a G-reg within the UK on your AUS license?

IO540
4th Jan 2009, 08:54
You can fly a G-reg aircraft, worldwide, on any ICAO license.

VFR noncommercial.

Ref: ANO article 26.

The above may however disappear under EASA, c. 2012.

There is also a path to a full UK issued JAA PPL, based on another ICAO PPL. You sit some of the exams but not all, plus a checkride. There is an additional concession of you have something like 100hrs TT, when some of the exams fall away, but there is still the checkride. This route gives you a full standalone (not piggyback) UK/JAA PPL. The details are in LASORS.

S-Works
4th Jan 2009, 09:23
IO, he tells us he already has a UK licence that is lapsed, so need for the conversion.

Cessna boy. It is very simple. Find an examiner and do a revalidation skills test. Just the same as a UK pilot who fails to get the revalidation signed off in time.

If you are current on your Aus licence there is no problem and I would be surprised if you need any training and as IO points out in the meantime you can fly on your Aussie licence.

Keygrip
4th Jan 2009, 13:01
As far as the UK CAA are concerned, you can renew an expired PPL with just a medical - you don't need a class rating to renew the licence, provided your latest CLASS RATING has not EXPIRED by more than five years.

You do need a valid class rating, of course, to USE the licence once you get it.

A guess here - if CB's LICENCE expired in June 2007, he likely took the skill test in (June?) 2002. That would give a class rating valid until )June?) 2004. Five years from then would be June 2009.

If my guess is accurate, get a JAA medical, go to Gatwick and renew the licence (walk in, do it on the day). then complete a proficiency check with an examiner when he feels he is ready to tackle UK airspace and R/T again. Licence page signed there and then on successful conclusion of flight.

If he's in current flying practice, that's all there is to it.

If my guess was wrong and his latest class rating was signed more than seven years from the day he applies to the CAA for renewal, then he will need medical and class rating test BEFORE application (and a larger fee to the CAA).

CB - you looked in LASORS you say? Have another look at Scetion C, page 19. http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%20C%20-%20PRIVATE%20PILOT%20LICENCE.pdf