PDA

View Full Version : South Florida Flying - Any recommendations?

markymark24
2nd Jan 2009, 19:27
Lucky enough to be spending the next few days on holiday in Naples, Fl. Anyone know of any good places to go, already decided on Key West, so any other cool fields?

Will be in a Cirrus 22. Thanks!!!

Mark

acunningham
2nd Jan 2009, 20:20
Doing the beach run from Fort Lauderdale (shoreline east of KFXE) down to Miami Beach at low level is excellent sightseeing. Local knowledge of procedures (you'll need a clearance, and will be flying at 500 MSL) is important, so talk to a local CFI. Remember to wear a life jacket!

dont overfil
3rd Jan 2009, 09:08
Try Cedar Key to the north. It's an island with a causeway to the mainland and a short runway. really quaint but with some excellent restaurants. Haven't a chart at hand but probably no more than an hours flying time.
DO.

B2N2
3rd Jan 2009, 13:35
Fly the dual control P51 Mustang, Stallion 51 offers orientation flights, checkout training, flight training, pilot training, air shows, aircraft management (http://www.stallion51.com/)

Located as Kissimee Airport, about 15 NM South of Orlando.
And try Bimini, about 50 NM offshore from Miami.
Naples-Bimini should be about 50 min in a 22, gorgeous flight.

If you go to Key West, try the following;

Straight from Naples to Key West on V225 at 9000' or 11000'.
You'll need to file IFR to do this. Rent lifevests from Dave at the Pilot shop.
Airport Pilot Shop (http://www.airportpilotshop.com/)
90% of the time Key West is landing RWY 9, means final over the city and if you're lucky there are big cruise ships in the harbor.

Relatively low level (1000') follow the Keys all the way to Miami and up the coast to West Palm Beach before you cross over back to Naples.
Miami Approach will tell you which altitude to stay below offshore.
That will be about a 2.5 hr flight.

CrazyMonkey
3rd Jan 2009, 16:38
As previously mentioned, Cedar Key to the north is well worth a visit. A lovely strip that feels as if you're landing on an aircraft carrier - the local taxi driver will answer the radio and the town does a great seafood lunch.

Key West is good but make sure you do exactly as Naval Air Station Key West instruct. There is a landing fee/handling fee and a fairly steep taxi fare to get in to town. Should be pleasant this time of year especially if you route down the Keys rather than taking a direct routing from Naples.

Personally, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to go to the Bahamas. You must buy the Bahamas Guide 2009 which has all the essential details and airfield guides required.

Have a great time!

dont overfil
3rd Jan 2009, 18:15
I'll second the Bahamas. However give Nassau a miss.
DO.

S-Works
3rd Jan 2009, 20:33
I will be in Florida next week until the 18th flying out of Winterhaven. Nassau and Grand Bahama are great trips as are the keys. I flew into the keys 10 days ago and as ever the welcome was warm and friendly. North Perry is also worth a visit, the home of Pelican Aviation, a British run school with the most charming and welcoming people. Pompano Beach is also nice for a trip.

Titusville is great, get a taxi round to the shuttle museum for a great day out.

Keygrip
3rd Jan 2009, 20:51
Hmmm, a PPRuNe mini-bash? Not had one for a while.

S-Works
3rd Jan 2009, 21:42
Keygrip PM me if you are anywhere near Winterhaven!

Airspeedintervention
3rd Jan 2009, 21:53
If you should decide to do any of the East Florida coast beach runs be EXTREMELY vigilant for Banner Tow Aircraft. Having survived this kind of employment I know well that they cannot see much at the deck angles required of their slow flight. Also much like our freeways (motorways ?) our skys are also full of rather senior operators that may not be as sharp as they used to be !

loungefart
4th Jan 2009, 01:37
I'll second the Cedar Key recommendation.
Stunning spot - especially at sunset - it's a must!
Dont go there in the dark - the flarepath is virtually non existent and its bloody dangerous trying to land there!

S-Works
4th Jan 2009, 08:09
bose-x,

Are you only there (Fl) until the 18th (I don't get there til' the 30th)?

Keygrip

I'll meet you for a mini-bash

Not sure yet. My provisional plan was to try and get away around the 18/19th but not set in stone yet.

Fright Level
4th Jan 2009, 10:32
I'm just back from flying there over Christmas. The Keys is a must do, check the notams though as the naval station frequency has changed recently (even Homestead gave me the old one).

I was based out of KFXE and although I used to recommend Pelican, sadly their planes are somewhat tired compared to the fleet at Airborne Systems at FXE. The out of hours handling by Banyon Air is simply stunning for those not used to 5 star FBO service in the USA.

Cedar Key was on my list of "to dos" as well but it's just too far from south Florida. I would add Merritt Island and get over to Cocoa Beach pier for lunch though. Sadly they won't let you do a low pass of the shuttle runway anymore but you get some views of the facility from overhead Merritt Island. Time your trip right and see a shuttle launch (details on NASA site).

Most rental firms won't hire for the Bahama's and of course if you can go you'll still have to use a customs airport, have the sticker etc. Again, Banyan's site has an excellent Bahamas brief (http://www.banyanair.com/bahamas_travel_assistance.html).

We also flew up to Kissimmee and rented a car for a trip to WDW for the day. Just about doable if you start early!

Logged 12 hours over 3 days and on Christmas Eve thought I had the skies to myself it was so quiet ... "Miami Center, radio check". "Center's still here sir".

dont overfil
4th Jan 2009, 10:48
I was reminded by a previous poster about the radio being answered by the local taxi driver.
He had a shagged out old checker cab. The air conditioning was a huge fan screwed on to the dash with large wood screws. As all the seats were occupied one unfortunate had to sit with his dog on their lap. However the driver and his dog were friendly.
The place certainly has character.
DO.

Keygrip
4th Jan 2009, 12:37
Just to fill in some gaps:

Cedar Key is 191.3 miles (Great Circle) from Naples.

Taxi on the R/T is "as available" - doesn't always answer.

Shuttle Discovery is due to launch February 12th. 14 day trip.

Jeppesen plate gives Key West Navy frequency as 124.45 (same as Kissimmee Tower) - but that plate is dated June 2006, so I'm suspicious. However, www.airnav.com (http://www.airnav.com) gives the same frequency. Use Miami on 133.5 if the Navy are closed.

Looking at the Naval station page, however, gives a frequency for Approach as 119.25.

Talking of space shuttles and suspicion - after Discovery gets back from it's ISS trip, Atlantis slated to do a final Hubble telescope mission on May 12th - but Endeavour is also slated for an ISS trip on May 15th. They can't both happen. Nasa cannot track two orbiters at the same time.

Keygrip is available for drinks and Disney trips with any visiting pilot. I'll even use my car so you don't have to rent one (which was a bad idea anyway - Lynx bus would take you to Magic Kingdom from Kissimmee for $2).

Fright Level
4th Jan 2009, 22:35
Key West Navy frequency as 124.45 .. Miami on 133.5 if the Navy are closed

That's the freq Homestead gave me and was on the chart but it's something like 122.025 now. Miami won't hear you at 1,000 (no point flying higher down to the Keys and spoil the view!).

S-Works
5th Jan 2009, 09:22
Fright Level, what were you flying? I was flying out of Winterhaven over Christmas in a G1000 C172 N9965P. Did a couple of Keys trips in it 21/22 Dec.

Fright Level
5th Jan 2009, 16:04
what were you flying?

Couple of "clockwork" 172's out of KFXE - Airborne Systems (don't like those new fangled glass things they have and fly "glass" at work!). Went to Kissimmee on 24th, Keys on 26th, Merritt Island on 28th.