PDA

View Full Version : Helicopters based on boats

Runway101
2nd Jan 2009, 06:30
Just out of curiosity I asked myself about regulations and real world practices for helicopters based on boats.

Say a rich dude cruises around the world on his yacht with helipad and helicopter. In many countries, off-airport landings are not permitted (most of Europe?) or some countries don't have any civil/private helicopters flying at all (ie. Thailand, just to stay with places where a yacht would go usually).

Can they still fly locally (ie. from the boat to airport, or boat to boat etc), are there usually special regulations, or is this a gray area and as long as it's a country without dictator and/or death penalty people just take their chances?

A whole different story is probably the corrosion issue with a helicopter so close to the salty soup all year long.

PS: Just saw some great pictures of a guy who flew out of a luxury yacht for a year when he was building time.

Oogle
2nd Jan 2009, 13:57
Runway

Approvals needed for each place you go to. This takes up most of the pilot's time. Most of the European countries are very good and are used to helicopters based on ships.

You specifically mentioned Thailand. For me, the most difficult place to get an approval to operate to and from the ship.:mad:

Salt/corrosion problems are a real threat and washing, washing and more washing is required.

$$ are good but alot of waiting around.:zzz:

zalt
2nd Jan 2009, 22:02
RIP

************************************************************ ********************
** Report created 1/2/2009 Record 1 **
************************************************************ ********************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 104BN Make/Model: H369 Description: MD369, MD-500, MD-530F/MG, LIFTER, DEFEN
Date: 12/27/2008 Time: 2200

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

DESCRIPTION
N104BN, A HUGHES 369A ROTORCRAFT CRASHED IN THE OCEAN AFTER DEPARTING FROM
A FISHING VESSEL, THERE WERE TWO PERSONS ON BOARD, ONE WAS FATALLY INJURED
AND ONE SUSTAINED SERIOUS INJURIES, 350 MILES WEST OF HONIARA, SOLOMON
ISLANDS

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 2 Fat: 1 Ser: 1 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: NOT REPORTED

OTHER DATA
Activity: Unknown Phase: Unknown Operation: OTHER

FAA FSDO: SAN FRANCISCO, CA (WP03) Entry date: 12/29/2008

CYHeli
3rd Jan 2009, 09:05
Zalt was this a tuna spotting collision or a luxury yacht?
Not many MD500's on luxury boats!
Being that far off land (international waters??) then it wouldn't matter what the law of the closest land was...

212man
3rd Jan 2009, 10:14
......AFTER DEPARTING FROM
A FISHING VESSEL...

I'll give you 3 guesses........;)

ShyTorque
3rd Jan 2009, 11:20
Luxury trawler?

RVDT
4th Jan 2009, 02:23
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2404/ydra12ak0.jpg

birrddog
4th Jan 2009, 04:34
RVDT, you'd think they would at least have the courtesy to put a regulation olympic length pool on that tub. ;)

peterperfect
4th Jan 2009, 09:59
The MCA in UK has this:
http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/msn_1792_edition_2.pdf
pp

Runway101
4th Jan 2009, 10:38
The MCA in UK has this:
http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/msn_1792_edition_2.pdf
pp

This Annex does not address helicopter flight operations in any detail. It is intended
as a technical standard for the landing area and associated on-board helicopter
facilities. The helicopter pilot / operator is responsible for ensuring that the
requirements of the Administration with which the helicopter is registered and the
requirements of the Administration responsible for the airspace in which the helicopter
is operating are complied with in full. The Aviation Inspection Body may provide
further guidance.

RVDT
4th Jan 2009, 13:02
Runway,

Are you really asking yourself out of curiosity or just (excuse me) phishing for some answers to avoid paying for them. Some people make a business out of this game you know.

Who do you think wrote Annex 6 to the MCA document? It was basically a panel of "experts" being ex-mil people and others.

Unfortunately, yachts are under no pressure to operate in all weather or at all times. So they probably don't need a North Sea helipad. (And I'll show you a good looking oil rig that is owned personally.)

The Catch 22 is, that these regulations are based on COMMERCIAL operations of the vessel.

For various reasons, too many to bring up here, some owners hire the boat to themselves (think about it) which makes it a commercial operation. If not it is private and none of these regulations apply, yet it might not be a prudent way to build a yacht when you consider that one day you will sell it.

There are a plethora of "consultants" out there that are happy to insulate yacht owners from reality and some of their readies. No doubt they will bound into this thread shortly with their anonymous "recommendations."

It is an unfortunate fact that because of the vessels registry it has to comply with "flag" rules. This compliance is to keep insurance underwriters happy. Depending on the colour of the flag these can be different.

Flying of the aircraft in different countries normally does not require any more permission than any other aircraft. It is the use of the deck and where it may happen to be at the time.

Most regulations involving the permission to use the deck have various reasons behind them but it would appear that the helicopter is a threat to it's own versatility. Customs and border authorities are the ones that twitch!

Runway101
4th Jan 2009, 15:57
RVDT, indeed I asked myself out of curiosity and Oogle basically already gave me the answer with his reply...

The closest I personally come to yachts is overflying them at 1000 feet or looking at them from the shore.