PDA

View Full Version : Lets not have anybody walking into a prop this Christmas

RatherBeFlying
24th Dec 2008, 03:31
Christmas day is a especially popular day for people to walk into props.

For those who fly on Christmas day, remember that fewer people are on duty and qualified help may not be available if there's a mechanical problem.

There is also an incentive to make the trip.

The danger is that people can feel rushed and an unqualified passenger may suddenly feel the need to pitch in or retrieve a forgotten item of baggage before you have the chance to stop her.

High winged a/c without struts are especially vulnerable.

SFCC
24th Dec 2008, 20:36
Please also avoid the temptation to talk your passengers into sticking their fingers into electrical outlets, sitting in the bath acccompanied by their hairdryer, or laying on a bed of nails.

Merry Xmas.

flybymike
24th Dec 2008, 23:23
Flippancy is not called for here. Walking into a rotating prop is a deadly serious business.

In fact, it is an engine out job.

Pilot DAR
24th Dec 2008, 23:58
Isn't "flippancy" how we get some of those older engines running? - Sorry, I just could not resist! Back to the more serious side, two stories:

I once was asked by a very trusted friend to hand start his C150. I called "mags off" to which he replied "mags off". I pulled it through to to get a prime into it and it started. I had been adequately careful, as I was always afraid of propellers. No injury. I looked at him with that "what the heck were you thinking?" look, and he replied by holding up the set of keys, which I could see through the still running propeller. Time for some maintenance on that plane, and more effective live mag checks! Lesson learned!

I met a fellow once at the old King City airport, just north of Toronto. His prized leather flying jacket had this burned red round spear stain in the center of the back. I asked of it's origin. He explained that he had just hand started a Champ. It was running at idle, and he was called by a bystander. He turned around, and talked while the Champ slowly drew toward him. By the time he realized what was happening, the gentle prop airflow drew him into the prop, where he stayed pulled in, afraid to bend over to get away. He held his arms across his chest, with the red skull cap spinner tuning in the small of his back, while he explained to the now very alarmed bystander how to turn off the engine. Another lesson learned!

Care around propellers is just one of the many ways we can have a good life!

Merry Christmas,

Pilot DAR

Squeegee Longtail
27th Dec 2008, 09:25
Getting ones genitals stuck in bottles, fruit etc. is damn bad luck, but walking into a spinning prop is just plain stupid.

Tone
27th Dec 2008, 09:54
Absolutely no danger of me walking into a prop, I've got one of them there hi-vis jacket thingies. Never felt so safe in all me life.

Karl Bamforth
27th Dec 2008, 11:18
Of course avoiding props every day of the year is a good idea.

I once met a guy in the RAF who had fallen into a prop. He survived but with some impressive scars from ankles all the way up his back.

fireflybob
27th Dec 2008, 12:37
My dad who was a veteran light a/c instructor taught me (and many others) never to walk through the arc of the prop. I think there was a lot more prop awareness in the "olden days" when most props had to be swung to start the engine. People had to be checked out on prop swinging by a qualified instructor.

Many pilot now are not even aware of what thumbs up or down means!

ShyTorque
27th Dec 2008, 13:34
Thumbs up = I've not walked into the prop.
Thumbs down = Ouch, guess what?