PDA

View Full Version : JAA groundschool instructor

Jay_solo
21st Dec 2008, 20:13
Hi,

I know there is an AOPA certificate to teach PPL ground. But If you just want to teach the ATPL groundschool at any flight school/academy, do you need a JAA FI rating or CPL or any official JAA certificate?

Or can you teach it with just a PPL and ATPL knowledge, (like the FAA Certified Ground Instructor ratings)

thanks

Whopity
22nd Dec 2008, 08:40
You need relevant aviation experience that is acceptable to the CAA.

JAR FCL 1.055
THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE INSTRUCTORS
20 Theoretical Knowledge Instructors in licence and ratings examination subjects shall have appropriate experience in aviation and shall, before appointment, give proof of their competency by giving a test lecture based on material they have developed for the subjects they are to teach.

VFE
22nd Dec 2008, 16:34
So in short it's a doddle to qualify so long as ya learn your stuff? Whether any GS would wanna hire you tho is another matter... hmmm, interesting...

Most ATPL groundschool instructors tend to have cut their teeth on military aircraft or have airline background don't they... I wonder how many just have a PPL but with a professional teaching background? Not many I imagine. But the biggest thing that sifts the wheat from the chaff must be the desire to wanna gabb in front of 20 odd eager airline wannabes for 4-5 hours a day! A sore throat must be the least of yer worries!

VFE.

BroomstickPilot
23rd Dec 2008, 06:19
One ground school instructor at an FTO I attended in 2004 was one of their own ex-students who had only completed the ATPL groundschool course a year or so earlier and did not even have a CPL.

Actually, the person concerned was very good, really knew the stuff and was good at teaching it. But I found myself wondering about the reliability of the CAA's vetting process if someone with no professional experience of any sort could get the job and keep it on the basis of just one lecture given with a CAA henchman present.

Broomstick.

Jay_solo
23rd Dec 2008, 07:40
I Think the CAA/EASA should come up with an an official qualification to teach ATPL ground school. In my opinion, you dont need 10,000 hours as an airline pilot to teach aviation theory! It helps, but it doesnt mean you'd be any better than someone who is a natural at teaching. Also not everyone can make it as a commercial pilot or an airline pilot, but they'd still love a career which contributes to aviation.

I think they (CAA/EASA) should follow the example of the FAA and allow those who have a natural ability to teach the theory, to get qualified after obtaining the ATPL knowledge and showing good teaching aptitude. After all, you have JAA CPL instructors, who fly pistons, and can teach both Comemrcial level ground and air instruction with about 500 hours TT. In other words, they dont have a mass amount of flying experience themselves.

Also if you want to be a teacher outside aviation, all you need is a Bachelors (3 years theory study) and a PGCE (Post Grad Certificate of Education), then you enter your first teaching gig at a public school. Aviation theory teaching should be no different, as you are not actually giving instruction in an aircraft.