PDA

View Full Version : Log book stolen - advice on replacing

TSR
15th Dec 2008, 11:01
Hi,

My house was burgled over the weekend and amongst the items taken was all my flying gear.

I've confirmed with the CAA how to get my licence re-issued.

The medical department "aren't taking calls right now" so I can't find out what to do there.

And I'm advised that I "need a solicitor to sort the log book". I presume that's to do an affidavit but really don't know much more than that.

If anyone has any advice on what I need to get my solicitor to do, I would really appreciate the help.

Also if anyone knows what I need to do to get my medical certificate re-issued please let me know.

Ta,

Nick
PPL (circa 150 hours)

frieghtdog2000
15th Dec 2008, 11:47
Medical - go back to your AME - he/she will issue a duplicate.

Logbook - ask PLC what they need - all flying done at a flying club/training organisation will be available from their records. Other flying should be recorded on the aircraft logbook.

For the future use an electronic logbook as well as the paper version - the one I use is available at jetnet.bidwiz.co.uk

All the best - nightmare scenario :ok:

TSR
15th Dec 2008, 13:08
Hi,

I had religiously kept scans of the logbook - of course they stole the back up device too!

Thanks for the advice though.

DaveW
15th Dec 2008, 14:07
I feel your pain - my logbook was stolen in 2005. :ouch:

The CAA used to cover this in a FAQ, but I can't find it on their website any longer. The relevant wording was:

Individuals who have lost a logbook and are intending to obtain further licences will be required to obtain a Sworn Affidavit, completed through a solicitor or Commissioner of Oaths, detailing their flying hours to the best of their knowledge. The flying hours should be completed into categories in conjunction with the applicable licence requirements. Please refer to Section A, Page 35 of LASORS as appropriate. This is required in order for us to be able to confirm flying experience, when a further licence is applied for. Individuals who do not intend to obtain any further licence (i.e ATPL holders) are not required to obtain a Sworn Affidavit, but may wish to start a new logbook.

Edit: See LASORS 2008 Section A p26 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Section%20A%20-%20GENERAL%20INFORMATION%20(LASORS).pdf), where the above words appear.

TSR
15th Dec 2008, 14:16
DaveW, thank you!

That is exactly the information I was looking for. That really is a big help!

Lister Noble
15th Dec 2008, 14:50
What rotten luck.:(
I've only recently started keeping a duplicate log in Excel on my laptop,
it took a while to do and I have only around 150 hrs total time.
I will copy this onto disc or two and store in a non obvious safe places,not related to the house,perhaps garden shed ,garage or hangar.
But even if one has thousands of hours it's still worth it in comparison with the hassle of losing it.

Lister

englishal
15th Dec 2008, 15:21
I photograph my logbook with my digital camera. With 8MP it is easy to zoom in and read the detail on each page, and takes only a few minutes to do. I then keep a copy somewhere remote.

airborne_artist
15th Dec 2008, 15:26
Get a Gmail/Hotmail account, and email the scans/shots of yr logbook to the online account.

AMEandPPL
15th Dec 2008, 16:09
Sorry to hear of your theft, it's really awful, isn't it ?

Regarding the medical certificate . . . . . . .
Medical - go back to your AME - he/she will issue a duplicate

is, of course, absolutely right. It's just worth pointing out, though, that in this hi-tech day and age almost any AME could probably help, not just the one who did the last medical. So if your own usual chap is unavailable or on holiday, for example, any AME at all who uses the "AME-online" system could access your details and print off a copy of your last certificate. He would need proof of ID (passport, etc), and your CAA reference number.

Deeday
15th Dec 2008, 22:16
Has anybody tried freePilotLog.com (http://www.freepilotlog.com/), or similar on-line tools? Any impressions?

I too need to back up my logbook and was thinking of the best way to do it.

Deeday

Zulu Mike
15th Dec 2008, 22:53
I too once had all my documents stolen from my car. Luckily the briefcase they were in was recovered and even more fortunate was that my logbook was still in it although my pilot licence, RT licence, medical certificate and passport were not. All of these were replacable so whilst annoying and inconvenient not a total disaster.

Quite possibly well over the top but I now use Flightlog ( Stratosoft ... FlightLog Recreational pilot logbook : free pilot logbook software. Pilots logbook software for ANY pilot (http://www.stratosoft.com/flrec.php)) on both home and work PCs which I think is an excellent product and absolutely free. I also photocopy each page as they fill up, keeping the photocopies at work and also scan the photocopies into the office server which is also backed up off site each day.

I shouldnt have a problem though in the unfortunate event of ever losing my original logbook

jimworcs
16th Dec 2008, 00:48
Then set up log book in Excel and save it in Google Docs. Very secure, password protected, available anywhere in the world, at any time as long as you can get to an internet connection. I have a mate who has his log book on Excel does all the necessary calculations and tracking. Google Docs and Microsoft Office suite are compatible.

Katamarino
16th Dec 2008, 08:11
I have also Excelled my log book. With a bit of trickery you can set it up to report out any interesting info you like - total time on particular aircraft, total PIC time, anything you can think of. Its quite fun to play around with, and a great backup!

tuscan
16th Dec 2008, 09:35
All scanned, photocopied and stored online...Call me paranoid but having the log book stolen or lost sounds a nightmare. Same for all my flying docs.

I like the online immediate access to all my info

RatherBeFlying
17th Dec 2008, 04:40
Me -- I'm a bit low-tech as every January I photocopy my logbook entries from the last year and add to the logbook envelope in the bank safe deposit box.

The glider club e-mails me monthly statements; so I can always reconstruct the current year without much fuss. Similarly any power flying can be rebuilt from whomever I've been renting from lately.