PDA

View Full Version : JAR to NPPL question

hugh flung_dung
13th Dec 2008, 18:19
The situation:

A chap has a JAR PPL with SEPL, he also converted onto 3 axis microlights earlier this year (but after 31/Jan)
He has flown about 8 hours in microlights, 6 in SEPL and has a 1 hour training flight signed-off
The SEPL rating expires early next yearPlainly he could revalidate the SEPL with an LST, but because he doesn't want to add additional ratings or fly outisde the country I'm suggesting that he considers converting to an NPPL to make future revalidations and medicals cheaper.

The questions:

Would he be able to get the NPPL issued with both SSEA and M classes just by filling-in the forms and sending £137?
Would the NPPL ratings be issued with the same expiry date as the existing SEPL rating or (because he's met the NPPL revalidation requirements) would they be dated 2 years from the date of issuance?HFD

xrayalpha
14th Dec 2008, 03:20
OK, here goes:

To get an NPPL SSEA when you have a JAR SEP:

CAA-issued JAR-FCL Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes) or UK PPL (A) to NPPL (SSEA)

The holder of a valid CAA-issued JAR-FCL Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes) or UK PPL (A) with SEP class
rating who wishes to obtain a NPPL (SSEA) shall:

a. Produce the CAA-issued JAR-FCL Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes) or UK PPL (A);

b. Hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAA Class 1 or 2 medical certificate.

It should be noted that any additional ratings attached to the CAA-issued JAR-FCL Pilot Licence
(Aeroplanes) or UK PPL (A), such as the Night Qualification or Rating, IMC or FI(A) Rating are not
transferable to a NPPL (SSEA) and the holder’s privileges will be restricted accordingly.

For a JAR SEP to a NPPL Microlights, or indeed your new NPPL SSEA to NPPL Micro:

4.1 Pilots with valid licences and ratings

NPPL (SSEA), UK PPL (A) or CAA-issued JAR-FCL Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes) with SEP Class
Rating to NPPL (Microlight)

The holder of a valid NPPL (SSEA), UK PPL (A) or CAA-issued JAR-FCL Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes)
with SEP Class Rating who wishes to obtain a Microlight Class Rating shall:

a. Produce the NPPL (SSEA), UK PPL (A) or CAA-issued JAR-FCL Pilot Licence (Aeroplanes);

b. Pass the Microlight Aeroplanes Type (Part 2) oral examination conducted by a Microlight flight
examiner. The examination shall include pilot maintenance requirements and conditions of the
Permit to Fly;

c. Hold a valid NPPL Medical Declaration or JAR-FCL Class 1 or 2 medical certificate;

d. Pass the NPPL GST in a Microlight.

Your NPPL would then be valid for 24 months - it is an initial issue so whether or not you have done the reval hours doesn't matter.

Of course, your JAR SEP allows you to do all this, microlight and light aircraft, with no GST on micro, no £137 licence fee BUT with Class 2 medical.

If you can pass the medical, is it worth all the fuss?

Very best,

XA

BEagle
15th Dec 2008, 08:00
hfd - the NPPL option will ultimately be cheaper.

He currently holds a JAR-FCL PPL with SEP Class Rating and also exercises his privileges on Microlight aircraft.

Upon conversion, he would have a NPPL with both SSEA and Microlight Class Ratings, with expiry dates as for his SEP Class Rating. In order to revalidate these Ratings, once he holds his NPPL, he may take advantage of the new consolidated revalidation requirements:

Holder of a NPPL with 2 or 3 Class Ratings (SSEA/SLMG/Microlight):

(a) Within the period of validity of the rating on any of the classes of aeroplanes held, have flown as pilot:

• at least a total of 12 hours including 8 hours PIC

• at least 12 take-offs and landings

• at least 1 hour training flight with an instructor. If this flight has not been completed all ratings will be endorsed ‘Single seat only’.

(b) Within the 12 months preceding the expiry date of the ratings held have flown, as pilot on any of the class ratings held:

• at least 6 hours flight time.

(c) Within the period of validity of each class rating held, have flown as pilot:

• at least 1 hour PIC on each class held; or

• undertaken at least 1 hour of flying training on each class held with an instructor entitled to give instruction on aeroplanes of those classes.

However, it isn't clear whether his current experience meets all the above conditions. If it does, then it would be reasonable for the NPPL to be issued with SSEA and Microlight Class Ratings valid for 2 years from the date of issue. If not, he can ask any Examiner to revalidate the Class Ratings once he has met all the requirements.

hugh flung_dung
15th Dec 2008, 11:49
Thanks for the replies.

My first question was driven by the "addition of additional ratings" form which includes:" I hereby state that, prior to 31 January 2008, I completed differences training as stipulated in LASORS C 6.1 in order to exercise my licence privileges on Microlight* / SLMG* aircraft." ... this implies that there is a cut-off date for allowing a microlight rating to be issued based on prior experience. Unfortunately the LASORS reference on the form appears to be incorrect, can anyone point me at the authoritative statement?

(Mild rant: I wish this NPPL stuff was better organised)

HFD

BEagle
15th Dec 2008, 15:02
HFD, the 31 Jan 2008 date is for existing NPPL SSEA Class Rating holders. However, there are no changes in current arrnagements for JAR-FCL SEP holders who have been exercising Microlight privileges on their SEP Class Ratings as described in LASORS C1.1:

The holder of a UK JAR-FCL licence with SEP rating may also subject to completion of differences training with an appropriately qualified flying instructor, exercise the privileges of their licence on microlight aeroplanes and SLMG’s in UK airspace only, without the necessity of obtaining a NPPL (the normal licence for such aeroplanes). However, any experience gained in microlight aeroplanes or SLMG’s cannot be counted towards the flying experience necessary to revalidate the SEP rating.

The NPPL 'stuff' is at last well organised - it has taken me several years of unpaid work to unravel the problems of earlier times and to work on the ANO amendment with the CAA.

hugh flung_dung
15th Dec 2008, 15:33
Thanks BEagle, and thanks also for the "behind the scenes" work - an aspect of the "stuff" that may need a little more organising is the maintenance of the application forms.

The NPPL application form (http://www.nppl.uk.com/documents/NPPLSSEAFormVersion14_004.pdf) doesn't appear to give the option to indicate that the application is for an NPPL with SSEA and M ratings, based on a JAR PPL with SEPL and having completed Microlight differences training - that's why I assumed the "addition of additional ratings" form was relevant. Did I miss or misunderstand something, or is the application form incomplete?
FYI this application form also refers to a document called NPPL/SSEASYL/VERSION 2, which seems to be doing a jolly good job of hiding.

Just so that I'm totally clear, it seems that:

the chap should complete sections 1-3 (4-7 are N/A) of the NPPL application form
I should complete section 8
he can use his existing class 2 medical (and change to the self declaration when the class 2 expires)
the chap should write a covering letter stating that he's applying for SSEA and M ratings, and asking that the ratings should run from the date of issue because he has met the revalidation requirementsIs all this correct?

HFD

BEagle
15th Dec 2008, 16:10
http://www.nppl.uk.com/documents/AOPA-UKNPPLAmdt08.pdf is the Second Edition of the NPPL SSEA syllabus to which you refer.

Your colleague's proposed course of action sounds fine - I would recommend that he also sends in a copy of the 'Additional Rating' form but makes it clear that he has been using JAR-FCL SEP Class Rating privileges to fly Microlights as per LASORS C1.1.

Let me know when the application is submitted to NPLG and I will contact them to confirm what has been said.

Your colleague will need to include logbook evidence of his SEP and Microlight flying, plus a photocopy of the relevant pages from his JAR-FCL PPL.

hugh flung_dung
15th Dec 2008, 18:06
BEagle that's very good of you. I'll have a chat with the chap ASAP and let you know when he submits the application.

HFD