PDA

View Full Version : things to do before going to do the CPL/MEP/IR

Vulcan607
8th Dec 2008, 23:48
Hey,

last time I checked I think its 58 days until I go to the FTO for my CPL/IR training (not that I'm counting the days........ :E - pretty excited about getting started).

Just looking for some advice from some FI's who teach the CPL and I.R what can I do before I arrive to try and be up to speed as much as poss?

Re-read your ATPL notes?
Buy RANT and use it thoroughly?
Is it useful to get checked out on a "complex" aircraft before the course?

and

Just looking for some peoples points of view on doing Multi IR before the CPL - i must admit I have a slight apprehension having not flown a complex single before and going straight into a complex twin. Thoughts on this anyone?

Romeo India Xray
9th Dec 2008, 02:22
re the conversion - if possible, spend some time sitting in the AC before you fly it - go home and "fly the bathtub". Close your eyes (yes, in the bathtub if the desire takes you), and visualise where every switch, button and anything else is. Next pick up the checklist and go through every normal and emergency action, visualising where each switch movement will be. Sounds stupid, you feel like a prat doing it, but the last place you want to be is behind that twin. For me this helps with any type conversion.

One other piont, fly the bathtub for your engine out as well. Dead leg = Dead engine. i.e. the leg you are not pushing is the one on the side the engine has failed.

Last point, have fun and enjoy it!

RIX

jamestkirk
10th Dec 2008, 16:35
i was told by a caa examiner that alot of the time the level of competance in RT and vfr nav was surprisingly poor.

Whopity
12th Dec 2008, 10:42
One of the major problems in practicing things by yourself is that you are not aware of the disciplines required and consequently finish up wasting your time and money. Hour building is a clasic example, its mainly hour wasting and is better replaced by doing disciplined training such as the IR.

Your best bet is to fly with an instructor who can make sure you can fly accurately, navigate in a logical manner, both visually and using radio aids, operate the radio correctly, and have some basic instrument skills. If these are not up to speed you will finish up doing revision on your CPL course.

horsebox
12th Dec 2008, 14:59
Concentrate on doing the basics well. Holding a heading, attitude and speed accurately. Getting the aircraft trimmed accurately and quickly.

Do some background reading about the aircraft types you will be training on.

Rant or flight sim can be useful to brush up on basic instrument work.

Get a vfr chart for the area you will be training in. Familiarise yourself with airspace layout, nav aids, and local geography.

Vulcan607
12th Dec 2008, 18:14
regarding the VFR charts - wilco!

Totally agree with what was said above, to be honest I don't really like to term hours building, I prefer to call it experience building because in hindsight I hope I've constructed my experience so far and in a relevant manner towards the CPL.

I plan to fly with the our CFI in the near future possibly over a couple of trips to bring me up to speed as much as possible.
The FTO have sent the checklists and MEP manual through and have been reading and re-reading that too