PDA

View Full Version : RT Oral...

Duchess_Driver
8th Dec 2008, 21:02
UK JAA PPL exams.

Does the RT Oral have to be completed inside the 18 month exam 'Start to Finish' period?

LASORS C1.3 does not sepcifically include nor exclude it from the Theoretical Knowledge Requirements.

BEagle
8th Dec 2008, 21:13
There is no such thing asthe RT Oral

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg
Theoretical knowledge for the JAR-FCL PPL requires that the applicant passes, amongst other things, the Communications (PPL) written exam. If the applicant wishes to have a FRTOL issued at the same time as the PPL, then the RTF Practical Test must also be passed before the licence application is submitted - the advantage of submitting applications for PPL and FRTOL together being financial.

There is no requirement, however, to pass the RTF Practical Test before the PPL Skill Test. But sensible people will ensure that they have met FRTOL requirements before flying their 'Q X-C'. The better flying clubs insist on it!

Duchess_Driver
8th Dec 2008, 21:25
So that's a no then.

Thanks

Unless of course......

Whopity
9th Dec 2008, 08:21
For a stand alone FRTOL it is 12 months. If you combine it with the PPL and make the application concurrent then you have the full 18 months to complete "ALL" exams and then have 24 months from the last exam to complete the application.

Its all in the AIC 19/2004: http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/aic/white/EG_Circ_2004_W_019_en.pdf

Its not a Oral, its an RT Practical there is a difference!

Duchess_Driver
10th Dec 2008, 08:49
Thanks......I think.

That's what I love about this place! Two responses, two answers.

OK - it's not an oral exam.

Sorry Whopity, but the AIC does not support the original question. It says that you have 18 months from passing the communications written exam to complete the practical, and then 12 months to have the FRTO licence issued. Nowhere does it state that the practical RT is inside the original 'start to finish' period for the other theoretical knowledge requirements noted in LASORS .

Whopity
10th Dec 2008, 17:53
Nowhere does it state that the practical RT is inside the original 'start to finish' period for the other theoretical knowledge requirements noted in LASORS .
LASORS Section B1.2 Validity states "provided that all examinations are passed within an 18 month period and that the application for both licences is made concurrently. I don't think it could be any clearer!

Duchess_Driver
11th Dec 2008, 06:37
Thank you....

madgav
16th Dec 2008, 10:01
LASORS Section B1.2 Validity states "provided that all examinations are passed within an 18 month period and that the application for both licences is made concurrently.

If I read it correctly LASORS Section B1.2 states the above in relation to extending the validity of the RTF exams from 12 to 24 months, for FRTOL licence issue:

Validity - The RTF written examinations and practical
test for a stand-alone licence are valid for a period of 12
months for licence issue. Where a candidate completes
the examinations for a FRTOL in conjunction with a course
of training for a JAR-FCL private pilot licence, the validity
of the radiotelephony examinations may be extended
to 24 months from the date of passing the last PPL
theoretical examination, provided that all examinations
are passed within a 18 month period and that application
for both licences is made concurrently. PPL holders who
subsequently apply for a FRTOL will be required to meet
the 12-month validity requirements for a stand-alone
licence.

Just above that it says:

Candidates for a JAR-FCL Private Pilot Licence are
required to pass the written theoretical Communications
examination prior to attempting the PPL Skill Test.
This may either be the JAR-FCL Communications
examination, or the UK Radiotelephony (Communications
- PPL) written examination. Applicants for a JAR-FCL
PPL should be aware that they must also pass the
practical Communications test if they wish to apply for the
additional FRTOL, which is a separate licence, required
under different legislation. Applicants for a FRTOL must
complete Form SRG\1106, which must be signed by the
examiner(s) conducting both written and practical tests.

And in section C1.3 it says:

An applicant for a JAR-FCL PPL(A) is required to pass
theoretical knowledge examinations in the following
subjects:
1. Aviation Law & Operational Procedures
2. Human Performance & Limitations
3. Navigation & Radio Aids
4. Meteorology
5. Aircraft (General) & Principles of Flight
6. Flight Performance & Planning
7. JAR-FCL Communications (PPL)
• These examinations contain multiplechoice
questions for the most part and are
normally conducted under the auspices of a
Flight Training Organisation or a Registered
Facility. An applicant shall be deemed to
have successfully completed the theoretical
examinations for the JAR-FCL PPL(A) when
awarded a pass in all of the above examinations
within a period of 18 months counted from the
end of the calendar month when the applicant
first attempted the examination. A pass
will be accepted for the grant of a JAR-FCL
PPL(A) during the 24 months from the date of
successfully completing all of the theoretical
knowledge examinations.

So as far as I can see the RT Practical is not required to be completed withing the 18 month period for PPL skills test purposes, however it may be required (I don't think that's even completely clear) to be completed within the 18 month period if the candidate wants to extend the validity of the RTF written and practical exams from 12 to 24 months when the FRTOL is carried out in conjunction with a PPL course.

I would also like this cleared up since I have until the end of April to complete my last 3 written exams and would like to know if I have to do my RT Practical in that time frame also. However I asked an instructor about this last week & he agreed with my interpretation above.

I don't think it could be any clearer!

LASORS? Are you serious? :rolleyes::)

Whopity
16th Dec 2008, 11:28
So as far as I can see the RT Practical is not required to be completed.... for PPL skills test purposes

Quite right, the RT Practical is not a JAA PPL requirement.

However, if you want the seperate UK FRTOL then you either do it all in 12 months (which may include the RT written that is a mandatory part of the PPL Training) or, you take advantage of the dispensation for PPL students to do it in extended time frame allowed for the JAA PPL.

Your choice!

As you have to display a level of RT knowledge and competence on the PPL Skill Test, it makes sense to do it all first and take advantage of the dispensation.

madgav
16th Dec 2008, 12:53
I think that's all much clearer now, thanks :):ok: