PDA

View Full Version : 90 day rule

Ringway Flyer
5th Dec 2008, 06:43
Could somebody please clarify the 90 day rule? My understanding is that a PPL must carry out 3 take offs and landings in the last 90 days to be allowed to carry passengers. If, for example, the dates of the last three flights were the 20 of July, the 3rd of August and the 10 of September, one would need to fly no later than the 18th of October to avoid breaking the rule.

What, then, needs to be done if one goes beyond the 90 days, and wishes to carry a passenger?

If the passenger is a current PPL, could they be classed as P2, rather than a passenger?:confused:

Whopity
5th Dec 2008, 07:34
You must have done 3 take offs and landings with 90 days of the day you carry passengers so if you only did one take off and landing on each of the dates you would run out on 18th Oct as you suggest. To carry pax you have to go and do 3 take offs and landings, either on your own, or with an instructor.

As there is no such thing as P2 on a single pilot aeroplane a PPL holder carried on board can only be a passenger so the 90 day rule applies. If they held a valid instructor qualification you could do your 3 T'O and LDGs or, if you hold an instructor qualification and the other pilot is a student then you could do it. In simple if you don't qualify as crew, you are a passenger.

Ringway Flyer
5th Dec 2008, 08:30
Thanks, Whopity. So if I had gone past the 18th of October, I would need to do 3 solo circuits, or the same with an instructor, to become legal for carrying passengers? I just hope, then we have a flyable day before the 27th of December, which will be my last day....
:ok:

foxmoth
5th Dec 2008, 09:53
Actually you would only need to do one to & landing, you would then be valid until 90 days from 3 August, if you did not get this one in by then you would need to do 2 to & ldgs. You will only need to do 3 circuits if you go more than 90 days from 10 September. (So if the above dates are actual dates you only need to do 2 landings to fly pax if you get it in by 9th December if my calculations are correct, but if you then do not do another flight, with or without pax, by that date, you will then need ANOTHER to & ldg without pax before you fly with pax).

foxmoth
5th Dec 2008, 09:58
Actually you would only need to do one to & landing, you would then be valid until 90 days from 3 August, if you did not get this one in by then you would need to do 2 to & ldgs. You will only need to do 3 circuits if you go more than 90 days from 10 September. (So if the above dates are actual dates you only need to do 2 landings to fly pax if you get it in by 9th December if my calculations are correct, but if you then do not do another flight, with or without pax, by that date, you will then need ANOTHER flight without pax before you fly with pax).

homeguard
5th Dec 2008, 10:39
Rather than start from an old date and work forwards tripping over days in the month. Take the day that you wish to fly and then look back 90 days from that date to check that you have previously undertaken the 3 x TO/Lands within that period. For instance, you could be valid to carry passengers today but not tomorrow.

Ringway Flyer
5th Dec 2008, 12:24
Thanks for the comments. The dates I used were fictitious, my last flight 3 flights ago was the 27th of September, then October 8th. Like I said earlier - I need some good wx and an airfield that's dried out enough to be usable!

RF

foxmoth
5th Dec 2008, 13:29
OK, so you are OK up to 26th December and then up to 6th Jan (but do check my maths) You will need just the one circuit to make you legal again, and working backwards on the day is fine - but normaly you will want to know when you book the aircraft if you are OK or not.:}

Ringway Flyer
10th Dec 2008, 12:44
So having now taken off, done two circuits and a full stop landing on Saturday, I thought that I would be OK well into next year. But it seems that a 'touch & go' might not count as a landing & take off. So what does? How long to you need to be on the ground for? Do you need to stop the engine? Do you need to get out, walk about and then go off for another circuit?? :hmm:

Seriously though, what is the definition of a take off and landing in this context? Clearly a grey area, which, god willing, I won't need to explore, but I do like to be correct....

homeguard
10th Dec 2008, 13:07
It isn't a grey area at all. 3 t/o and 3 landings within the previous 90 days to carry passengers. Simply that. Touch and goes or full stop landings and take-offs are not required nor stated!

The requirements can be completed by day or night or a mixture of both. However if the flight is to take place at night then at least one of the t/o and one of the landings must have been undertaken at night.

ExSp33db1rd
11th Dec 2008, 08:33
Check the UK regs. In NZ it is 3 in 90 days as stated for the UK, or .... demonstrate abillity to an instructor, and an instructor can be satisfied of ones ability after just one landing, which then starts another 90 days - and is cheaper !

foxmoth
12th Dec 2008, 06:56
or .... demonstrate abillity to an instructor, and an instructor can be satisfied of ones ability after just one landing

Not the case in the UK. As far as T & Gs are concerned, anyone that tells you these do not count (UK regs) they are WRONG:ugh: