PDA

View Full Version : VC-10 RAF Aircraft ??

WW1018
4th Dec 2008, 11:55
Hello

First post, Hope im in the right area.

I was wondering when The RAF Plan to retire there VC-10 Aircraft ? Does anyone here know ?? I heard mid 2009/2010, What a shame it will be to see them go, Such beautiful Aircraft, And would be an even bigger shame seeing them goto the scrap yards, they deserve so much better.

Michael.

talk_shy_tall_knight
4th Dec 2008, 12:11
Oh don't worry. Some group of enthusiasts might club together to buy one. They'll hold a few jumble sales and the odd 'eat wot you brung' supper and in no time at all it'll be at airshows all around the country. Unless it breaks down.

petoprobe
4th Dec 2008, 12:45
You are quite right in saying the VC 10 is a beautiful aircraft and I was one of the lucky ones who flew on the queen of the skies as a backender for nearly ten years. But she is old and increasingly expensive to operate and deserves a well earned retirement. The RAF need new tanker/transports like yesterday. Leave the nostalgia to the museums.

brit bus driver
4th Dec 2008, 17:55
I'm sorry, but you used the words 'RAF' and 'plan' in the same sentence there!

House of Commons - Defence - Minutes of Evidence (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmselect/cmdfence/462/7042406.htm) outlines the basic plan as it stood then.

Really, she's a bit like a loveable old dog; great in its day, but it would really be kinder just to put her to sleep.

ScottishCop
4th Dec 2008, 18:32
I just saw some refurbished ones today being test flown!

Hot Charlie
4th Dec 2008, 18:35
I was wondering when The RAF Plan to retire there VC-10 Aircraft ? Does anyone here know ?? I heard mid 2009/2010

Add five years to those, as a rough idea.:)

BEagle
4th Dec 2008, 18:35
Many happy memories of doing full air tests on VC10Ks down at 'Scrapheap Challenge', RAF St. Athan!

And a few moments of unwelcome excitement.....:ooh:

Union Jack
4th Dec 2008, 18:44
And a few moments of unwelcome excitement.....http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/icon25.gif

..... not to mention 6 hours 40 minutes of nervous anticipation waiting to hear from you!:ok:

Jack

cazatou
4th Dec 2008, 18:46
BEagle,

Happy memories of flying back from the Gulf to UK in one 40 years ago. The trip out had been in a British Eagle Britannia via some unexpected "Staging Posts".

West Coast
5th Dec 2008, 06:11
One in San Diego a few days ago, brought the spell of rain we enjoyed with it I guess.

BANANASBANANAS
5th Dec 2008, 06:23
They were supposed to be having a 'mid life refit' (installing INS, removing the Loran etc) when I flew them in the early 80's.

Great aeroplane, loved flying her, but she must be creaking at the seams a bit now.

WW1018
5th Dec 2008, 18:30
just as long as they dont hushkit those RR Conways ;)

Albert Driver
6th Dec 2008, 08:15
Great aeroplane, loved flying her, but she must be creaking at the seams a bit now.

SEAMS? Weren't they milled from solid?

Lou Scannon
6th Dec 2008, 16:46
It is always amusing to hear the government criticising the airlines for polluting the skies when in effect, they are all on the board of the most polluting airline in the west...the RAF transport fleet.

I well remember standing next to my shiny new C130 watching the first RAF VC 10 land. That was in 1967 some forty one years ago. All of the BAC 1-11's, DC 1O's and even some of the B 757's that I went on to fly have been scrapped as uneconomic.

To have flown service aircraft of the age of the VC 10 and C130 when I was 27 would have needed to have re-issued some SE 5's and the odd Vickers Vimy. I'm sure that we would have done our best with them, as todays service pilot's do, but should it be necessary with the glut of second hand transport aircraft that are now available?