PDA

View Full Version : London GA Airport Accessible by Public Transport

st777
2nd Dec 2008, 15:53
Hi Everyone

I'm an Aussie PPL with CIR and have recently moved to London.

Can anyone recommend an airfield near London that is easily accessible by public transport? I have googled a few airports, but can't seem to find anything remotely accessible by public transport.

It's been a while since I've gone flying, so itching to get back up there!

Appreciate your help.

ST777

Duchess_Driver
2nd Dec 2008, 16:32
Denham (EGLD), more specifically The Pilot Centre.

The Pilot Centre - Denham Aerodrome (http://www.egld.com/tpc)

20 minute walk from Denham Railway Station.

julian_storey
2nd Dec 2008, 16:56
Elstree is about five minutes in a taxi from Elstree & Boreham wood station.

Redhill is about ten minutes in a taxi from Redhill station or a brisk 15 minute walk from South Nutfield station.

Biggin Hill is a bus / tram ride away from East Croydon.

n5296s
2nd Dec 2008, 19:54
There's a bus route goes right by Stapleford, from either Epping or Romford. I THINK it still has the route number 250, same as it did 50 years ago when I used to take it with my Dad to go visit relatives in Epping. But it only runs once an hour or so.

I think there's a bus which will take you to White Waltham from Maidenhead, too, although again it isn't very frequent. Of course you can always get a taxi.

n5296s

Jodelman
2nd Dec 2008, 21:46
I think there's a bus which will take you to White Waltham from Maidenhead, too, although again it isn't very frequent.

A couple of weeks ago there were at least two or three an hour!

Nashers
2nd Dec 2008, 22:38
There's a bus route goes right by Stapleford, from either Epping or Romford.

not anymore... stopped over a year ago..

n5296s
3rd Dec 2008, 06:37
not anymore... stopped over a year ago
Oh well, just goes to show nostalgia's not what it used to be. I suppose they don't operate TD class half-cab single deckers any more either?

In fact a quick google shows that the route does still exist, sort of, as Blue Triangle 575 - but it only runs once per day in each direction (from Epping in the morning) so it's not much practical use. Looks like W/Waltham is a better bet.

n5296s

Saab Dastard
3rd Dec 2008, 08:07
Fairoaks is a 20 minute taxi from Woking station. Fast trains from Waterloo (24-36 mins). Off-peak day return £10.

SD

scooter boy
3rd Dec 2008, 08:07
Gotta be Denham - no question.
(wityh the exception of Battersea heliport up until 2 years ago when greedy boy Von Essen, (give me your cashen) took over and exponentialised (george W Bush word) the landing fee - £450!!!! from £90)
I've tried them all and Denham wins hands down.
You can walk to the station and if you time it right its 30 mins on the fast train to Marylebone.
Nice people in the tower too!
£15 landing/pkg and £15 off peak on the train including travelcard - can't say fairer that that guv'nor!

Elstree had a most unpleasant foul man in the tower last time I was there. He was swearing at a pilot under his breath when he wasn't pressing his PTT button, but passably civil when transmitting, very cantankerous two faced old git.

Fairoaks/White Waltham/Redhill/Biggin have no sensible connection.

Gotta be Denham.

SB

Trinity 09L
3rd Dec 2008, 11:11
What part of London are you living in :confused:, then we can judge the most economic, bit different to SYD when the choice is Bankstown or Camden :)

lc_aerobatics
3rd Dec 2008, 11:17
Biggin Hill is 20 minutes away from Bromley, you have a very good and fast connection between Victoria and Bromley South, 320 bus stops right in front of station and is pretty frequent (every 15 minutes, peak time)

Hampshire Hog
3rd Dec 2008, 11:21
Wycombe Air Park - short taxi ride from High Wycombe or Marlow stations. Excellent facilities at BAFC.

HH

jousby
3rd Dec 2008, 11:43
Check out streetcar (Streetcar (http://www.streetcar.co.uk)) as an alternative to public transport as well. That's what i've been using to get out to Stapleford this year to do my PPL. Theyre coverage of london is pretty good (4 cars parked within 3 blocks of where i live), book online, about £7 an hour. Much cheaper than car ownership if you only use it every second week or have just arrived and not keen on the car purchase just yet.

Will Hung
3rd Dec 2008, 12:06
Elstree had a most unpleasant foul man in the tower last time I was there. He was swearing at a pilot under his breath when he wasn't pressing his PTT button, but passably civil when transmitting, very cantankerous two faced old git.

Not the screaming skull surely ? Or have they replaced him with someone equally deranged ?

Ray Kernan
3rd Dec 2008, 14:00
Biggin is easier and cheaper to get to on public transpt than Elstree. From Elstree station you have no option other than a £10 taxi .

Whereas Biggin you can go to Bromley south from Victoria then the 320 bus as stated, or Hayes from London Bridge then 246 bus or Orpington and then R2 bus.

As easy as Melbourne to Moorabbin, mate!

st777
3rd Dec 2008, 19:21
Thanks for your overwhelming help everyone!

I'm in Clapham Junction (with I imagine the majority of the antipodean population!).

Cheers
ST777

Brooklands
4th Dec 2008, 13:09
Wycombe Air Park - short taxi ride from High Wycombe or Marlow stations. Excellent facilities at BAFC.

There is (or there used to be) a bus service which stopped outsode the airfield. Runs hourly during the week, IIRC.

If you go too WYcombe you ought to check out both the clubs there: BAFC and WAC (Wycombe Air Centre).

Brooklands

Fright Level
4th Dec 2008, 14:30
Fairoaks. Clapham Junction to Woking non stop in under 20 minutes then 3.5 miles to Fairoaks (bring your bike or a short cab ride, no public transport).

I reckon that's one of the easier ones to get to with a choice of London Transport Flying Club (http://www.ltfc.org.uk) or Synergy Aviation (http://www.synergyaviation.co.uk)

The airfield doesn't have the "buzz" of Denham or White Waltham but from Clapham Junction without a car, it's probably the most convenient to get to.

lc_aerobatics
4th Dec 2008, 14:31
From Clapham Junction , Biggin seems to be best for you.
Either take traing to Victoria and train to Bromley or Clapham to East Croydon and then bus' 119 then 246/320.
Each journey should take you abount an hour.
:ok: