PDA

View Full Version : Navigation Data Base

A-3TWENTY
2nd Dec 2008, 14:36
Hi Folks,

A couple of days ago ,I ve received an aircraft with the primary and secondary navigation data base completely out dated.

The MEL 22.71.01 says you can fly for 10 days if you make non -RNAV procedures for dep and ARR. Untill here no problem since BCN has RNAV and non -rnav procedures.

BUT, I delayed the flight because, I`ve read somewhere (I don`t remember where) that to fly In europe above Fl 245 you must be full compliant.

QUESTIONS:

1 .Am I correct , or I could dispatch the flight and fly above FL 245 with the database out dated?

2 . Where can I find the altitude limitation (Fl 245) , if it still exists?

One more point:Our planes has GPS and it was operative.

Looking Forward to hear from you all soon ,

A-3TWENTY

Denti
2nd Dec 2008, 15:23
According to eurocontrol (http://www.ecacnav.com/Future_Applications/B-RNAV) B-RNAV is mandatory above FL95 in the ECAC airspace. There is even a nice map (http://www.ecacnav.com/content.asp?CatID=214) on the eurocontrol page where you can check the different RNAV-application dates in all ECAC states.

That requires of course a current database.

dusk2dawn
2nd Dec 2008, 16:49
Was it an international flight? I ask because the local authority might have published differences applicable within its juristiction.

However,
Annex 6 to the Convention on International Civil Aviation Operation of Aircraft, Part I, International Commercial Air Transport — Aeroplanes
7.4 Electronic navigation data management

7.4.1 An operator shall not employ electronic navigation data products that have been processed for application in the air and on the ground unless the State of the Operator has approved the operator’s procedures for ensuring that the process applied and the products delivered have met acceptable standards of integrity and that the products are compatible with the intended function of the equipment that will use them. The State of the Operator shall ensure that the operator continues to monitor both process and products.
Note.— Guidance relating to the processes that data suppliers may follow is contained in RTCA DO-200A/EUROCAE ED-76 and RTCA DO-201A/EUROCAE ED-77.

7.4.2 An operator shall implement procedures that ensure the timely distribution and insertion of current and unaltered electronic navigation data to all aircraft that require it.Pretty clear language, me thinks.

Fargoo
2nd Dec 2008, 16:56
Ours - BA (A320) has it in a different chapter 34-60-01

Amongst the many operations items associated is this one

Operation on B-RNAV en-route airways with an out of date FMGS Navigation Database is permitted providing the Maintenance Procedure has been complied with and the authority has been obtained from the Duty Navigation Officer. Note: All European upper airspace is B-RNAV . Contact Flight Technical Dispatch for suitable routing.

The maintenance action is for us engineers to contact Flight Technical or the Navigation Officer so they can ensure the crew are properly briefed and to clarify any impact on the operation.

No mention of FL245 but I guess (being a non pilot) that is the Upper Airspace altitude?

A-3TWENTY
2nd Dec 2008, 19:38
I was wrong about Fl 245....

Open the links that DENTI has published. It`s all there.

Thanks everybody,
A- 3 TWENTY