PDA

View Full Version : Flying on a FAA License in the UK. Where?

Xorthis
2nd Dec 2008, 12:59
I recently aquired my FAA PPL in California earlier this year... had planned for a JAA one origionaly but the situation changed as I was taking the exams and had to switch or come back home :rolleyes:

Before I go on I will point out that I have done the research and I can fly a G registered aircraft in the UK on a FAA PPL. I cannot fly at night (Even though I've already done more solo night flying than someone with a UK night rating ;) ) or fly into IMC, even if I hold the correct endorsements on my PPL.

I'm currently studing for my ATPLs but need to keep flying while I do them to keep my skills up to par or else. Unfortunatly, Cabair in Blackbushe who I was flying with before I came back to the UK will not allow me to fly private hire with them on a FAA PPL.

Can anyone reccommend a flying club on or near the south coast who would allow me to fly with them :)

dom175b
2nd Dec 2008, 14:06
Have you tried the Cirrus people flycumulus - I had the same as you and think they will let you fly.

IO540
2nd Dec 2008, 14:16
You can fly a G-reg worldwide VFR on an FAA PPL (ref ANO article 26).

UV
2nd Dec 2008, 16:31
I think he's saying CABAIR wont allow him to fly....
UV

Whopity
2nd Dec 2008, 18:51
I cannot fly at night (Even though I've already done more solo night flying than someone with a UK night rating )
Article 26 does not say that you can't fly at night; what it says is:
(ii) in the case of a pilot's licence, to act as pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying;
So you can fly outside controlled airspace if you licence permits night flight and you can fly SVFR inside a control zone at night.

n5296s
2nd Dec 2008, 19:49
WLAC at White Waltham have been happy to let me fly solo on an FAA licence, although it's been a couple of years since I've done it. The people at Stapleford were also OK with it although in the event I never got to solo there.

n5296s

mm_flynn
2nd Dec 2008, 20:28
Article 26 does not say that you can't fly at night; I suspect Xorthis' 'no night' comment is based on his FAA licence having no IFR privileges rather than anything in the ANO. JAA licences specifically cater for this 'IFR but not really IFR case', the FAA doesn't.

Xorthis
3rd Dec 2008, 06:03
Thanks for the clarification, I think I should contact the CAA directly to confirm the night flight aspect. As mm_flynn stated there's no "night rating" in an FAA lisence, you have to do 3 hours of night training as part of the certification, this is optional in a JAA PPL. What this means is I don't have an endorsement on my certification that states I am able to fly at night (as all FAA certificates allow the pilot to do this unless endorsed otherwise), something a JAA PPL holder would have. This means I am only able to fly day-VFR in a G registered aircraft as I understand it.

This discussion is for another topic however, what I really need is an aircraft to fly - even if only daytime! ;)

execExpress
3rd Dec 2008, 10:35
Google "Goodwood Flying School", give them a call to ask if you can check-out on and fly their aircraft? Mark Hughes is still the CFI I should think.

englishal
3rd Dec 2008, 12:21
Thanks for the clarification, I think I should contact the CAA directly to confirm the night flight aspect.
I shouldn't bother. They will just quote you from the ANO and it won't be any clearer.

What about Bourenmouth Flying Club? They used to be a good outfit when I was with them and very laid back?

Whopity
3rd Dec 2008, 12:43
Article 26 validates your FAA licence, this includes any priviliges in that licence except those specifically prohibited in the ANO. If your licence includes night as a basic privilege, then the fact you don't have a seperate night qualification or rating is irrelevant, you don't need one.

IO540
3rd Dec 2008, 14:41
The problem, Whopity, is that the FAA requires an IR for any IFR flight, so while the FAA PPL does include night privileges, we have the ooooolllddddd chestnut because in the UK night=IFR (except the SVFR case).

It's a grey area which will probably never be tested, and I am sure the CAA couldn't care less. If this is ever an issue, it would be an insurance issue but I have never heard of any indication of that either.

scooter boy
3rd Dec 2008, 20:33
Hi Xorthis,
Congratulations on getting your FAA license, where did you learn?
I also found that certain places would not rent an aircraft to me when I returned from California with my FAA PPL in 1994.
You will find somewhere soon I'm sure.

Best of luck to you,
SB

Xorthis
6th Dec 2008, 14:09
Hi Scooter boy!

I trained in Southern California at what used to be Anglo American Aviation in Al Cajon, near San Diego - though these days they've dropped the Anglo part ;)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I do have a few options near me so it's just trying to find out the best one that suits me now. One thing that I have noticed is no one has said "Make sure you avoid X flying club" so I guess I don't have to worry too much.

As for the night flight thing, the consensus seems to be Day-VFR only due to the fact that night flight in the UK is considered IFR only (Except SVFR cases) and I do not have an IR rating on my FAA PPL, regardless of the fact that the FAA PPL allows me to fly at night in VFR conditions :rolleyes:

Xorthis
7th Dec 2008, 01:07
Socal App, it would be a waste of money for me. I'm currently doing my ATPL exams and will have a JAA CPL by this time next year assuming it all goes to plan, so doing a conversion would just be extra expense for little benefit. If I wanted to I could have done it before I came home ;)

englishal
7th Dec 2008, 12:58
Yes because a little known fact is that for a CONVERSION a place does not need to be CAA approved - just needs access to a CAA examiner. Therefore as soon as you pass the FAA check ride, you can jump in the plane with the CAA examiner and pass the JAA conversion check ride - assuming you have done the JAA exams somewhere "approved" ;) I'm guessing if the CAA examiner was also an FAA examiner then you could do both-in-one :}

Irv
7th Dec 2008, 21:30
we have a couple of cessnas at Popham (Jn 8 M3) rented by JAA, CAA, FAA, and SA licence holders.

julian_storey
20th Feb 2009, 07:57
Alternatively, Lydd Aero Club have an 'N' reg AA5 for hire.

N Club. Lydd Aero Club (http://www.lyddaero.co.uk/n-club.html)

flyingfemme
20th Feb 2009, 16:54
Unfortunatly, Cabair in Blackbushe who I was flying with before I came back to the UK will not allow me to fly private hire with them on a FAA PPL.

They certainly used to allow it - I remember renting a C172 from them in the early 90s. Short checkout and I was good to go.

RSFTO
20th Feb 2009, 17:16
it is only up to the owner of the aircraft the final decision if he let you fly his aircraft.

For the law your FAA ppl is valid world wide on any registration day and night.

Cabair is just being difficult with you because they did not make any monies on you for your ppl.

regarding night flying in the u.k. : your faa ppl does have night privilegies as a jar night rating ppl so you can legaly fly at night as a jar night ppl, the law of any countries are applied to the pilot for the ICAO license that he has.

Xorthis
20th Feb 2009, 17:43
flyingfemme; I would have loved to go back there as I got on well with my instructor before completing my PPL in the US and the planes were in good condition. However I did call them back in November and was told that they will not rent their aircraft to non-JAA PPL holders. Maybe they changed their policy in the last 10 years? ;)

Fortunatly I am now flying with the neighbouring flying club who are more than happy to have me fly their planes on my FAA certification. I did a checkout last week and found I was very rusty on a few things (not flown in since October and need more R/T practice), not to mention the aircraft devolped an engine problem as we were returning from the manouvering area so I didn't get a chance to do circuits. Weather premitting I should be able to complete the checkout next week :)

As for the whole night flying thing again... CAA class all night flying as IMC. The night rating allows you to fly at night VFR on the JAA-PPL. The conditions in which I am allowed to fly a G-Reg aircraft on my FAA license state I am not allowed to fly IMC - This includes night flying as previously stated above.

If I want to fly night VFR in a G-reg aircraft I require a JAA conversion with night rating, if I want fly night VFR in an N-Reg aircraft I can, no problem. At the end of the day, it all comes down to what letter is on the side of my plane... :ugh:

Charlie Zulu
20th Feb 2009, 21:23
If I want to fly night VFR in a G-reg aircraft I require a JAA conversion with night rating, if I want fly night VFR in an N-Reg aircraft I can, no problem. At the end of the day, it all comes down to what letter is on the side of my plane...

The ANO states that you are not allowed to fly in controlled airspace that require compliance with IFR rules.

So you can fly at night outside of controlled airspace under IFR rules and in controlled airspace under an Special VFR clearance on your FAA PPL in G-Reg aeroplanes as long as you have a current FAA IR (which of course you don't yet).

From what I understand the above is valid worldwide in G-registered aeroplanes on the basis of your FAA PPL (and a current IR if you wish to fly at night) as the ANO doesn't limit the automatic validity of ICAO licences to any specific area (i.e. UK).

hubbs1982
9th Mar 2009, 15:23
So, assuming the club and insurance were placated, an FAA ppl-ir holder could fly from the UK to France, day or night. Assuming all relevant flight plans were filed, and customs hoops jumped through.

Is there anyway to have a look at UK sectionals online?

Tall_guy_in_a_152
9th Mar 2009, 16:45
Is there anyway to have a look at UK sectionals online?
No. You can buy digital versions by Memorymap for about £20.