PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool - Normandy (Bayeux)

Okavango
29th Nov 2008, 12:40
Hi. I've just got notice of a friends wedding across the channel in Bayeux (near the D-Day beaches). I thought this might be a nice opportunity to fly out (most probably from Blackpool) as all other transport is difficult. Does anyone have details/experience of this flight and airfields that could be used in France (Caen seems the nearest I've found so far). As I only recently achieved my PPL (the wedding is next August), do you think this is a step too far or reasonable challenge? Thanks.

Fuji Abound
29th Nov 2008, 12:56
Caen is really the only option.

I would do a trip to Goodwood, the I of W, or some where like that on the south coast if you are in any doubt of the leg to the coast before.

There is plenty on here about flying across the channel - well worth a read. If you have never done so before the most noteworthy aspect is you can find yourself pretty much on instruments even though conditions were good or reasonable VFR over the land.

The short hop in France is a non event.

Closer to the time you will get plenty of help from those on here if you need more information.

In summary use the time between then and now to either make a hop down south, or even make a run across to L2K in the spring. It will give you all the confidence you need - if you need it. However, the trip should be well within your ability.

bookworm
29th Nov 2008, 14:46
Caen is easy and cheap. There's a regular train service from the city centre to Bayeux, though hire car or taxi may be more practical if you want to go straight to Bayeux.

The main thing to manage with such trips is contingency planning. Don't put yourself in a position where you have to make the flight in order to get to the wedding.

PompeyPaul
29th Nov 2008, 16:30
Don't put yourself in a position where you have to make the flight in order to get to the wedding.
Chances of getting perfect VFR on a particular day, as well as return, is unlikely. If you do get the wx then you may well be tested since you probably won't have perfect wx all of the way.

A brave adventure, and you should definately go for it, but make sure you have alternative arrangements..

Mikehotel152
29th Nov 2008, 18:46
I flew to a funeral once, so I think it's a great idea! ;)

Plan it with the assistance of the many ppruners on here who have crossed the Channel before but accept that you may well have to cancel the flight only a few days beforehand if you can't be assured of a settled period of weather. And even if the weather looks okay the day before, it might turn 'orrible the morning of your departure, be ready to jump in the car at the last moment and catch a ferry in order to be at the wedding.

Perhaps the best plan is to make it a 4/5 day trip so you can wait for a window in the weather and don't feel pressured into departing in marginal conditions.

Don't be put off by the fact that you are low-houred, there's a first time for everything and as long as you get lots of advice and prepare thoroughly, it'll be fine.

Best of luck!

julian_storey
29th Nov 2008, 19:31
It's a relatively straightforward trip and great experience.

If you need any help with anything, PM me :D

Fuji Abound
29th Nov 2008, 21:59
Bookworm is right. There is a real danger of feeling compelled to make a flight - have a contigency when the time comes, and if in doubt dont go. It is always that way, and we know it is, but the pressure of really needing to be somewhere can compromise our judgement.

soay
30th Nov 2008, 10:10
I agree with everyone who's suggested making contingency plans. I flew from Blackpool to Caen in July, and left two days early, because of a window in the weather. I'd have been stuck in France for a week if I hadn't returned a day early as well.

Skypartners
30th Nov 2008, 11:12
Hi all

Do remember that you can fly special VFR wihin the CI zone so you can always use that as a staging post for the trip if needs be.

Fuji Abound
30th Nov 2008, 11:28
.. .. .. and cheap fuel.

If the weather is an issue post here nearer the time and I bet you will get a good view on whether the trip is doable VFR - we have one or two weather "experts" around.

Johnm
30th Nov 2008, 18:22
It's an easy trip. From Kemble I've done a day trip before now just to go to the Caen Sunday Market and have lunch.

In August the main weather risk is afternoon thunderstorms or sea fog.

Since you've got plenty of time between now and next August I'd do the IMCR in the meantime. You can't fly IFR in France with it, but it will allow you to fly above cloud and on a really grey weather day, when still VFR legal but hard to tell sky from sea, you'll bless your instrument skills as you cross the Channel:ok:

Caen has Avgas as does Cherbourg, but Deauville usually doesn't, so think about topping up on the South coast at maybe Goodwood or Shoreham before you cross the Channel if diversion looks like a risk,

Skypartners
30th Nov 2008, 21:38
You can hire a nice IR pilot with a quick plane based at BLK who can get you there in about 1 hour 45 :)

Fuji Abound
30th Nov 2008, 21:54
The fella probably knows what he is talking about - time is about right with a bit of luck and not too much head wind.

steveking
1st Dec 2008, 07:35
The trip sounds great to me. As always with all VFR flying we have to be lucky with the weather and back up plans are a must if you have to be there. That aside though the channel crossings aren't that bad. I learnt at southend and everyone is regulary doing channel crossings, new PPL's included.During the summer half my flights are across the water. If it is hazy though it can seem like your in cloud with no horizon at all, a little unerving if you haven't done it before. A nice little trick if possible is to try and get above the inversion and use that as a horizon.

Okavango
19th Apr 2009, 18:26
OK gents - I'm now starting to look into this seriously. I'm currently doing ATPL's so haven't been packing in the flying hours but will be looking to do some trips to Shoreham, Goodwood and Compton Abbas over the next few months. Do you think the cross channel trip is possible in a C152 with life jackets etc? We could send our luggage out with friends so that should avoid loading problems, though I'm slightly concerned about speed and range. As there will only be the two of us it doesn't seem necessary to take a C172 though.

Fuji Abound
19th Apr 2009, 18:36
Well, as they say, the aircraft has no idea it is over water so the aircraft will not be concerned.

I have crossed the channel in a lot less aircraft so I wouldnt worry about the aircraft being up to the job. I would take a liferaft, and I would make sure you are happy to fly on instruments or be careful about the conditions on the day as it can be VFR over the land and very poor VFR over the sea.

By all means take life jackets as well but should the worse come to the worse they will not do you much good by themselves at this time of year unless they pick you up in double quick time.