PDA

View Full Version : Examiner Conditions

Romeo India Xray
27th Nov 2008, 11:13
I know it is bad form to ask direct questions about pay and T&Cs, but could any examiners (from PPL up to CPL & IR) please help shed some light on the pay and general conditions.

This comes about as a friend of mine is a CAA examiner but receives no consideration for each exam (up to CPL & IR), only his basic (not particularly high) salary. In addition he has to use his own vehicle for transport to and from the airfield with no mileage allowance and often work late or at weekends (without time off in lieu).

In my opinion and from my personal experience, examiners should be paid a consideration that puts them at a level above corruption. Additionally they should be treated in the manner to which their level of experties would suggest they should be.

Any input from any country (EASA land/FAA) and from either private or authority examiners would be great, as it will give him some ammo to present to the CAA bosses.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing from you all!

RIX

Keygrip
27th Nov 2008, 11:55
RIX - ask him how he keeps his own ratings current.

Romeo India Xray
27th Nov 2008, 12:09
CAA examiners here cross check and test each other, as per the issue examiner's handbook (which is a lovely leather bound thing) - seems they can splash out on those :hmm:

As I was told on my JAR FCL course ..... "examiners do examiners".:} All ratings including class/type/instrument/FI are kept currnet in this way.

Gets more complicated when we get onto testing the TREs, but that isn't the level that this guy is testing at.

RIX

Keygrip
28th Nov 2008, 03:57
You were talking terms and conditions - I *meant* the question to be "who pays for it".

Romeo India Xray
28th Nov 2008, 06:09
Ah, clear! Here the CAA examiners (indeed any CAA employee with a licence), get their licence issue, ratings, revalidations and tests gratis. The examiner however is responsible for maintaining currency, which with very few ME and IR candidates passing through can mean at personal expense for those not also involved in line flying (and this is the case for this particular gentleman). For me, I am just biting the bullet, as taking the job here has been a great move forward in my career. For this guy it is not so good as he is at the tail end of his career with a lifetime in aviation and >30k hours.

Also we are the ones responsible for getting (and paying for) the aircraft for out check flights. Take an instructor/examiner in a school and I would imagine it is the school that pays for theirs - really doesn't seem to be an even playing field :rolleyes:

RIX

Keygrip
28th Nov 2008, 06:43
RIX - I just noticed the "Riga" in your username panel.

Sorry - thought you were talking U.K. CAA.

Boy, would *that* be a different story. If it makes you feel any better, I know *exactly* what you are feeling.

Romeo India Xray
28th Nov 2008, 07:25
Yes, I used to be UK side (but not CAA there). Traded a 20% pay cut for a 50% lower cost of living, good career move, secure job and excellent netowrking. For me, things could not be better - job satisfaction 100% :).

For this guy, I feel really sorry and this is why he asked me to find out about pay and T & Cs for other examiners around the world. The director here is happy to re-consider, but only when he has some info about how things are elsewhere. You can't really just call other NAAs and ask "how hard do you screw your examiners" :}, so I thought I would use Pprune as a good starting block....

RIX

Whopity
28th Nov 2008, 13:40
In the UK Examiners pay the CAA for the privilege of being an examiner, and all expenses associated with renewing the authorisation.

It is then up to the examiner to charge the candidates for the tests he conducts. Most examiners charge similar fees, but in reality they can set their own price. Some tests conducted on behalf of the CAA e.g. CPL skill tests are paid at a set rate to the examiner through the CAA.

Romeo India Xray
28th Nov 2008, 14:29
Many thanks for the input - Helps explain why I spent all my check flights in the UK feeling like I was being robbed! :sad:

It would be interesting to hear from others elsewhere in Euroland and Stateside.

RIX