PDA

View Full Version : ground exams for newbie ppl

leafsandbranches
24th Nov 2008, 14:41
I'm new to all this and have recently started to take flying lessons, I'm on my third one at the moment and really enjoying it. I want to start studying for those exams and was wondering if there were any decent DVD's or software to help, I'm not particularly academic if I'm honest about it.

BRL
24th Nov 2008, 15:04
Hi. Do a search of any pilot shop and you will see what there is about.

liam548
24th Nov 2008, 16:11
im on about 18 hours now and done air law and Met.

I didnt find air law all that complex if i am honest (nothing to do with being a cop! ;) but I found the OAT cd rom useful for met as it is easier to understand things with moving diagrams and graphics.

See my post here
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/331838-ppl-ground-study-interactive-cd-rom.html

the PPL exams are not too difficult at all, you just seen to read the books and use the various dvd/cd roms out there.

What I find hard it finding time to read the books while working 6 shifts on the roll and balancing home life.

Just starting comms which i hope to do soon as it looks as though it will be the most simple one up to now. Not looking forward to Nav

tangovictor
24th Nov 2008, 16:54
Oxford aviation, cd's I found miles better than the books, I believe they do a "taster" cd, give them a ring or email, google the www :ok:

leafsandbranches
25th Nov 2008, 16:14
tangovictor, just had a look at that stuff, looks good.

Thanks for your help :ok:

Lew747
25th Nov 2008, 19:37
Does your club operate a ground school? Or lectures? I find they really help. I've got several oxford CD-ROM's, however I find the narrator's voice to be extremely boring! (A nice soft female voice is what they need :\)

WALSue
25th Nov 2008, 19:59
Personally, I found the books a lot better than cds. Think it all depends on how you prefer to learn.
There are some useful cd-roms with practice exams, OAT do a good one but as with most things involving aviation, it seems rather over priced!

flyinho
25th Nov 2008, 20:08
I have just gained my PPL and haven't used one CD/DVD. Thats not to say that they aren't any good I just thought they were expensive! I bought all my books off Ebay for a fraction of the new price!! I used the AFE flying training manual, the PPL confuser (invaluable) and volumes 2,3 and 4 of the Trevor Thom series of books. The PPL confuser is great but shouldn't be used as a text book, it just helps you pass the exams rather than teach you thoroughly about each subject!

I think it's important to choose whichever learning method suits you best.

Good luck and happy landings!

GSJMH
10th Dec 2008, 14:44
I strongly suggest that you get some banks of questions. The 'PPL Confuser' is possibly the most useful.

I read the books once through, then went through the question banks on the 'teach me to fly' CD (flightstore.co.uk), the 'Question and Answer Simplifier' (one of the set of books provided by the school) and the PPL Confuser (I got mine from Pooleys at Elstree) until I was hitting the mid 90 percent or better, then took each exam. If you can only find one of the above then get the PPL Confuser.

I got the Oxford Aviation CD as a supplement to the PPL books for metereology only, and found it very helpful for this subject. My wife used the radiotelephony disc, it is very good, for her R/T exam, but she is not a pilot and you will be getting lots of practice in the air.

Good luck!