PDA

View Full Version : NPPL Medical on JAA PPL

JP1
23rd Nov 2008, 20:54
Having done the JAA PPL my flying post PPL is (and for some considerable future will be) basic daytime VFR flying in the UK with no more than 1 passenger.

Is it possible to simply renew my medical (formerly class 2 medical of course) with a GP declaration as per the NPPL licence.

If and when I consider more advanced flying that requires the extra privileges of the JAA PPL simply upgrade the medical to class 2?

Thanks
JP1

Gertrude the Wombat
23rd Nov 2008, 21:20
Certainly for now you can do the sort of flying you describe with a PPL and an NPPL medical declaration.

However the exemption only runs until next year sometime. Clearly there's an expectation that it will be incorporated into permanent regulations, but it ain't happened yet.

And I think there's something about, if you have a PPL which needs renewal every five years (rather than a lifetime one) then at licence renewal stage they'll downgrade your licence to an NPPL if you don't have a medical. Or something. Whether you can then upgrade back to a PPL if you get a "real" medical in order to add an IMC-R (if that still exists) or something is not clear to me. Like all simple good ideas this one has scope for getting complicated.