PDA

View Full Version : American Tourist Visa for PPL

attorney82
22nd Nov 2008, 21:11
Hi
I have American Tourist Visa , if i want to do ppl in USA ,do i need another Visa (student Visa ) or i dont need .?

mcgoo
22nd Nov 2008, 21:13
You will need an M1 visa, TSA and SEVIS registration, your school should be able to advise you on all this.

isi3000
22nd Nov 2008, 22:33
It's quite a long process, this thread might be of some help to you http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/278995-guide-obtaining-jaa-ppl-us-part-1-a.html :ok:

rallymadness
24th Nov 2008, 12:24
If you remain in the USA within the "touristic period" and the training is less than 18 hours per week you don't need a student VISA. As far as I know.

Keygrip
24th Nov 2008, 12:49
PPL, you say?

Why post in "Professional Training" then?

BackPacker
24th Nov 2008, 13:29
If you remain in the USA within the "touristic period" and the training is less than 18 hours per week you don't need a student VISA. As far as I know.

Don't bet on this. You need an M-1 visa if your *primary purpose* for your visit is study.

For vocational studies, the INS interprets this as "more than 18 hours per week" but it has never been officially confirmed of whether this 18 hours period also applies to flight training and if so, what is counted under these 18 hours: flight time, pre- and post briefings, flight prep, self study or anything else.

Want to do flight training on a tourist visa (or under the VWP program), you'd better make damn sure you are indeed legal. Flight training without a proper visa status may get you expelled, fined or jailed, may see your TSA permision revoked for a long time, and may have repercussions for the school itself too.

Also see the link that isi3000 posted. Good discussion on this at the end.

kalleh
24th Nov 2008, 13:48
As stated in the FAQ, you will need M1 and TSA clearance. Don't try to sneak around the US authorities, you will be kicked out of the country before you realized what happened. The flight school will also want to check your papers .

I went to OBA and they had a great document outlining everything that you need to do (in which order). Think they include it with their "info pack" available on the their website.