PDA

View Full Version : "Don't call mayday over the radio...!"

Floppy Link
12th Nov 2008, 10:59
Anybody else see this letter in Pilot Mag Dec '08 (page 36)?

I was amazed at the behaviour of the controller on duty at XXX airfield when a pilot made a 'Mayday' call. It was obvious he was in trouble due to his voice over the radio. Firstly the controller said "Don't call mayday over the radio, and we are XXX traffic when you call". The pilot reported engine failure. I was on final, but got out of his way. Unfortunately he had to put down in a field short of the runway.

Would love to know where XXX is. :=

Human Factor
12th Nov 2008, 11:10
I'd be interested to hear how the villain of the piece suggests you call "Mayday". Shout out of the window, perhaps?:ugh:

Prat.:=

Fitter2
12th Nov 2008, 11:39
On the one occasion I had to make a Mayday (minor mid-air collision, if there is such a thing) I called both on 121.5 and local airfield frequency, as I thought it likely they would be interested and possibly even have to take any necessary action.

I didn't start the call with an airfield full identity, only position of the incident, since I was mildly busy at the time enduring the sircraft was sufficiently controllable and stucturally sound enough so that I didn't need to rely on Mr Irvin's useful product.

If any controller had complained I would not have bothered to respond until later, when I might have considered an appropriate discussion.

AMEandPPL
12th Nov 2008, 12:18
Surely, this is another one that the pilot concerned should be reporting to CHIRP ?

Fly-by-Wife
12th Nov 2008, 13:18
Don't call Mayday...

Actually I have long thought that the mayday call would be much more pithy as:

"F**K, F**K, F**K"!! Summarises the situation when the donk has quit at 100 feet quite nicely I think.

The Pan call could similarly be replaced by:

"Bugg*r, Bugg*r, Bugg*r", as it carries a degree of irritation without quite as much immediate concern as the former.

These could initially be "piloted" :O in the vicinity of XXX airfield, with the intention to phase it in globally thereafter.

:p:p:p

FBW

DB6
12th Nov 2008, 13:58
Just read that letter. Either there was some sort of misunderstanding or the controller/radio operator was completely out of order. Either way I don't imagine the matter will end there. I seem to remember reading a report recently (CHIRP?) about controllers/operators getting shirty when the wrong callsign is used i.e. calling them 'radio' when they should be 'tower' etc.; I don't think the CAA take a very positive view of that sort of pettiness.
AMEandPPL, I would say that if true that is an MOR matter, not CHIRP; nothing confidential about it and far too serious.

Pace
12th Nov 2008, 14:08
It is also strange how many pilots are reluctant to call a mayday preferring to down grade to "I have a problem" :)

Maybe its because they do have a problem and dont yet consider it a mayday or they are embarrassed or dont want the fuss and paperwork.

I had two fairly recent events one a corporate jet filling with smoke at night and the other a depressurisation climbing through 17000 feet.

Strangely while being asked whether I was declaring an emergency on both occasions I had a reluctance to do so.

The first after some thought :) Yes the second NO just a descent and diversion.

Do others here have the same mental block in doing so and why?

Pace

ShyTorque
12th Nov 2008, 14:52
Shouldn't happen but everyone can make a mistake.

On my first night circuit in a Wessex 5 helicopter some 30 years ago, we suffered a hydraulic failure, a "land asap, running landing" emergency.

I called "(Callsign) Wessex, PAN PAN PAN, hydraulic failure downwind, request priority running landing on the runway" (rather than a hover landing on the normal helicopter T night landing spots inside the runway) .

ATC said: "Stand by - I have a simulated engine failure joining shortly".

My instructor said on the radio: "He didn't say "Practice PAN.....it's a real one".

ATC: Oh, er...Ooops sorry, clear land on the runway.

(So I did and the hydraulic fluid melted the new tarmac they'd just had laid).

From the RAF's finest ATC school :p

Piper.Classique
12th Nov 2008, 15:45
It does seem a bit dramatic at times even to call a justified pan, I don't know why one is so reluctant. I remember a partial engine failure, while revalidating my licence (expired by four days, yet). This left us able to maintain height at the expense of a loss of some airspeed, and my examiner and I spent most of the struggle back to the airport discussing whether we should call a pan, and in the end didn't, as the place was pretty quiet anyway. Got back to a definite "get this landing right" situation, much crosswind and a wet runway adding to the fun. To his eternal credit, my examiner let me land the unfamiliar aircraft while keeping his mouth shut and hands still.

SlipSlider
12th Nov 2008, 17:57
I read this letter and apart from the patent stupidity of "don't call Mayday on the radio", the 'facts' as stated did not make sense to me in that the "Controller" (as referred to twice) allegedly said "we are XXX TRAFFIC when you call". As far as I am aware TRAFFIC is used e.g. out-of-hours at a FIS aerodrome or for a blind call if no response received from an A/G "Radio" station. In neither case would a "Controller" be involved. That made me question the accuracy of the content of the letter as presented.

Earlier this year I had to make my first distress call for real when I had one and a half mags failure, and needed a prompt rejoin to my FIS base aerodrome, with priority in the active circuit as any go-around would be impossible; I must admit one reason I called a Pan and not a Mayday was the incorrect assumption that the latter would involve formal paperwork! Where I got that idea from is a mystery. The Pan call was the correct one to make, even if for the wrong reason. All ended well, circuit was cleared for me and I landed with a dead engine. Phew.

Slip

Nipper2
12th Nov 2008, 18:20
When my donk quit at 200' on finals I just called "G-XX, engine failure on finals. landing in undershoot". I kind of assumed that they would work out that this was not normal. No time really for much more.

Will the RT police be round to have a word?

Foxy Loxy
12th Nov 2008, 18:28
First off, can someone post a link to this subject? Please :)

Secondly, as an ATCO I have a few words to say on the subject, such as have been posted on this thread.

I currently work at a military airfield where they aren't shy about declaring PAN or MAYDAY if there is an issue. However, I've also worked at a few civvy airfields (soon to return to fully civ. ATC), and I have had, on a few occasions, been forced to say "say again?" to a waffly "I'm returning with an engine/hydraulic/gear/ take you pick problem." It wastes RT time, delays the RFFS response, gets missed by other pilots on the frequency, etc etc.

Perhaps it's a British thing - our innate tendency to understate. You have a problem - state it! No-one is going to take the pee out of you for it once you're down and in the bar. For us, such occurrences also form an essential part of our emergency training. Every incident has a new aspect to it which we discuss at length and learn from. Worried about form-filling? Well, yeah, we fill in an MOR, but if it's a fairly straightforward, safely concluded emergency, not a great deal ensues officially for the pilot.

Nothing, NOTHING gets ATC attention like PAN or MAYDAY, trust me! You can be sure that everything possible will be in place for you asap should you declare so. Always remember, we are here for you. We're on the same side after all, yes?

Keygrip
12th Nov 2008, 18:31

Yus.

"Allo, Allo, Allo - what we have got here then? That should be FINAL, me lad. No S on the end. You're bluddy nicked mate".

Pace
12th Nov 2008, 18:52
Foxy Loxy

Maybe its me alone but I do have a big problem calling a mayday :) Too dramatic , maybe its a boy thing? Cant we just change it to XYZ is declaring an Emergency. That has a more dignified less big movie drama to it :)

Pace

Hyperborean
12th Nov 2008, 19:29
The point has already been made but it bears repetition. The RT callsign "Radio" is not a controller or even a FISO. I would hope that the training involved to gain either licence would ensure that Maydays would be properly dealt with. Air ground operators may not have either the experience or the training to respond adequately but I would also hope that the Radio Station's licensee would have a duty of care to provide training to the operators on what the implications are.

niknak
12th Nov 2008, 19:41
USe of the term "Traffic" says it all - it is highly likely that no one was manning the ground station and the reply was from someone airborne.

Pace.

Couldn't disagree more with you (or anyone else who thinks the terminology should be changed).
Mayday or Pan get's everyone's attention, anything else is ambiguous and potentially dangerous because there will be a delay in responding and rendering assistance.

There is absolutely no shame whatsoever in declaring a PAN or a MAYDAY, you shout and we'll make sure that everyone on the ground is ready for you, if you discover after landing (or even in the air) that you no longer have a problem, it doesn't matter, we'd rather everyone was there to meet you then than minutes afterwards.

frostbite
12th Nov 2008, 19:54
Agree re the pettiness over the 'label'.

At an airport near me (yes, known to foxy), I have often heard a huffy sounding xxx RADAR! when someone has addressed them as 'xxx approach'.

Since the radar is rather prone to falling over, when they are indeed known as Approach, it seems too picky, even for a pedant like me.

vanHorck
12th Nov 2008, 20:01
I had to declare a pan at Brussels International last year, due to a potential unsafe gear.

They were absolutely brilliant in handling us. The gear held and my GF got a cup of coffee from the customs officers once parked at the GA terminal!

Surely the "controller" has long been sacked at XXX. This must be the exception that confirms the rule, just think of the blind pilot last week.

ATC may sometimes be a pain in the neck to VFR flights but dear God are they good to have when you need them!

ShyTorque
12th Nov 2008, 20:03
Well, the pilot of a Robinson R-22 who suffered an engine governor failure in the dark north tonight put out a nice precise PAN PAN call and got the attention of the Radar controller. Hope he made it back to the airfield safely. :ok:

Foxy Loxy
12th Nov 2008, 20:09
niknak said:
Couldn't disagree more with you (or anyone else who thinks the terminology should be changed).
Mayday or Pan get's everyone's attention, anything else is ambiguous and potentially dangerous because there will be a delay in responding and rendering assistance.

Absolutely on the nail. Just yesterday, I had a PAN call made, the problem was an oil leak. It streamed all the way up and over the canopy - the pilot could see pretty much bggr all forward.

The biggie that I tend consider for emergencies is pilot distraction. That's why I often call a "local standby" for seemingly minor issues declared on RT. Not all pilots are as accomplished or confident as some. Again, the paperwork is mainly an ATC concern.

frostbite said:
At an airport near me (yes, known to foxy), I have often heard a huffy sounding xxx RADAR! when someone has addressed them as 'xxx approach'.

Since the radar is rather prone to falling over, when they are indeed known as Approach, it seems too picky, even for a pedant like me.

That justifies a thread of its own.... :}

2close
12th Nov 2008, 20:40
A friend of mine, a non-native English speaker, had the PA28 fan quit on him last year and declared this to the ATC RADAR frequency he was working, who told him to contact XYZ. He replied 'Negative, I have an engine failure', whereupon he was once more told to contact the alternative frequency.

Running out of altitude, he decided to concentrate on landing the aircraft, successfully, in a field.

Admittedly, he didn't use the words MAYDAY or PAN PAN but I would have thought the words 'engine' and 'failure' in the same sentence should have been enough for the controller to take the proper action.

In the past 12 months I have had 4 x problems, all of which have resulted in ATC scambling the fire trucks for me, one in EGHH, two in LFMD and one in LGIR. Many thanks to the ATC and the fire crews on each occasion there.:ok:

AMEandPPL
12th Nov 2008, 20:45
In the past 12 months I have had 4 x problems, all of which have resulted in ATC scrambling the fire trucks for me

That's more than anyone deserves in a LIFETIME of flying, never mind a twelvemonth ! !

Would it be impertinent to suggest that you may need to review the standards of your regular maintenance organisation ? ?

2close
12th Nov 2008, 20:52
3 different aircraft from 3 separate organisations.

Luck of the draw I'm afraid.

None of them turned out to be anything serious but I don't believe in taking chances and obviously ATC don't.

Anyone wanna come flying with me? ;)

2close

Airbus Girl
12th Nov 2008, 21:37
I have noticed that when doing simulator checks for work, often the other pilot doesn't want to declare a MAYDAY, even for an engine failure. I've also heard "well its not on fire so I think a PAN is sufficient".

Whereas I would say, bugger that, I'm calling a MAYDAY. Why not?

Even when I call a MAYDAY for an engine failure (in the sim) I sometimes get the other pilot saying "well we can downgrade it to a PAN". Why? Surely an engine failure is pretty serious!!! Why NOT call a MAYDAY???

PAN is not always recognised abroad, and although I would use it in the UK in certain circumstances, perhaps if engine was running not quite right, but was still running, and not causing a problem with the flight path. But if I had any doubt I would just call a mayday.

west lakes
12th Nov 2008, 21:46
Maybe its me alone but I do have a big problem calling a mayday http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif Too dramatic
Looking from an external viewpoint
If my house is on fire I get out & call the fire service by dialling 999 not by ringing their normal landline number.
The on going fire safety publicity stresses that they would rather be called to a good intent false alarm that a serious incident develop.
I've actually had the opposite at work, where the fire service asked for assistance with an electrical incident affecting the internal wiring of a property (not really my employers resposibility. The Crew Manager was concerned that they had done the right thing by calling us - of course they had.
If I am with someone who collapses I get an ambulance by dialling 999 - not ringing the local hospital or doctors surgery

So as I see it the PAN & MAYDAY are your equivalent of these services you have an emergency, you need help that is how to get it.
Talking to an ATCO earlier there is no issue if it was a genuine concern and all the emergency teams are called out, but a failure to declare an emergency could have massive consequences.

Karl Bamforth
13th Nov 2008, 04:26
Call a Mayday. You can always down grade it to pan after you have calmed down and got things under control.

One day during the climb, things were not quite as they should be, T&P's not quite right. We turned back towards the airfield and called the tower....... no response. Called again.......... no response. Temp was rising and pressure dropping but we could see the airfield Called the tower....... no response. Prop was spinning but no power.
I looked at the guy in the other seat and we both said "bugger this" (or words to that effect) MAYDAY MAYDAY MADAY Woooooooooooo instant response "the airfield is yours land wherever you need to"

We landed safely but only just scraped in over the boundary fence.

Final 3 Greens
13th Nov 2008, 06:28
"Traffic?"

The only time I have heard this phrase is when communicating on unicom on unmanned fields in the US and it is used to announce one's intentions or position to other aircraft.

I haven't seen the letter in Pilot - was it definitely a UK field?

FantomZorbin
13th Nov 2008, 07:36
As an ex-D&D inmate (many many years ago!) I would suggest that if you have to decide whether to call MAYDAY or PAN ... ALWAYS go for MAYDAY in the 1st instance and downgrade later if necessary. No one is going to think anything other than relief that things are looking better for you.

To call PAN and then have the problem deteriorate rapidly may not give you the chance of upgrading.

BTW
(Thread creep warning) Positively NO "Practice Mayday" calls! ... There was once such a call made near Yeovilton ... 'Yeovil Flag XX' then 'practiced' buying beer (lots) in the wardroom :=

bookworm
13th Nov 2008, 08:22
I read this letter and apart from the patent stupidity of "don't call Mayday on the radio", the 'facts' as stated did not make sense to me in that the "Controller" (as referred to twice) allegedly said "we are XXX TRAFFIC when you call". As far as I am aware TRAFFIC is used e.g. out-of-hours at a FIS aerodrome or for a blind call if no response received from an A/G "Radio" station. In neither case would a "Controller" be involved. That made me question the accuracy of the content of the letter as presented.

Sounds to me like the "Controller" might have been an airborne instructor who, rightly or wrongly, thought that his solo student had made a simulated mayday call with the PTT held down by mistake.

Whopity
13th Nov 2008, 08:38
There seems to a be a fundamental issue here with some people not understanding what Mayday actually means.

It is a condition of being threatened by serious or iminent danger and of requiring immediate assistance.

The fundamental reason for having to hold a radio operator's licence is so that we can demonstrate that we know how to handle messages appertaining to the safety of life. ITU Radio Regulations Art 35.

So if you have a licence, you should know what it is and how to deal with it.

Some years ago we had IRIS who monitored RT standards but now its more akin to Slack Alice. I recall hearing a Military ATCO ask a pilot who called Mayday on running out of fuel on final "Is this a real one or a practice!"

vanHorck
13th Nov 2008, 11:53
I agree MAYDAY should only be used in case of imminent danger, otherwise it's a PAN.

Imminent would be to me the loss of an engine in a SEP, severe icing leading to descent, fire on board etc.

As long as you feel your airplane will be controllable till the landing (eg gear failure) it s a PAN in my view

ShyTorque
13th Nov 2008, 12:05
In the 1970s it was a requirement for trainee RAF pilots to spend an hour in the ATC tower every month and sign a log as having done so (v. good idea, in my view).

The Jet Provost's r/t system made both pilots' microphones "live" whenever either transmit button was pressed so you had to be careful not to "butt in" from the other seat.

One day we heard a student call: "MAYDAY.... MAYDAY....PRACTICE MAYDAY!"

Immediately followed in the same transmission by "You :mad: IDIOT!" from his instructor.

All the air traffickers jumped a foot, then hooted with laughter!

Dr Jekyll
13th Nov 2008, 12:06
Actually I have long thought that the mayday call would be much more pithy as:

"F**K, F**K, F**K"!! Summarises the situation when the donk has quit at 100 feet quite nicely I think.

I always thought it was a mistake when the nautical people decided to abbreviate the traditional "S**T, OH S**T" call.

Tigger_Too
13th Nov 2008, 13:04
I have my own personal set of rules for this. If something happens which really captures my attention and I have any doubt about getting the aircraft on the ground safely, or if it is a medical emergency, then it is a MAYDAY. Any aircraft problem which causes me to deviate from my planned flight profile, then it is a PAN.

Examples in the last couple of years:

Oily blue smoke in cockpit causing streaming eyes and a hacking cough (all engine indications normal) - MAYDAY

One fuel gauge dropped from 3/4 to 1/4 over about 30 secs - PAN and diversion.

Always start with a high bid in my view. Downgrade it if and when you are content that the situation is resolved.

n5296s
13th Nov 2008, 15:08
I must say I find this discussion (and many others like it on PPrune) amazing. What on earth is the point of the Mayday/Pan distinction? Either you're in trouble and you need all the help you can get, or not. Having to stop and wonder whether you should call "Mayday" or "Pan" (or maybe just "Excuse me, I don't want to bother anyone") is a waste of time and energy.

In the US (which is where I fly, mainly) nobody has ever heard of Pan. It's in AIM (I just checked) but nobody ever talks about using it. What exactly does it mean? Mayday is obvious - get everyone else off freq, clear the field, roll the firetrucks. But Pan? Listen carefully? Put the paper down and leave the sudoku til later?

n5296s

what next
13th Nov 2008, 15:42
Hello!

Mayday is obvious - get everyone else off freq, clear the field, roll the firetrucks. But Pan? Listen carefully? Put the paper down and leave the sudoku til later?

Yes, at least this is what we get told in Germany too (and I have been telling my own students for over 15 years now).

Here, "Mayday" is supposed to be a one-word shortcut (to be repeated three times though) for "Whoever is listening: I have a big problem here; I herewith declare an ermergency; everybody else please shut up; ATC please give me priority and all possible support". This "Mayday" word is only the prefix to the message itself, that you pass thereafter. You are supposed to call Mayday on the frequency that you are actively using - and on 121.5 when you are not currently in radio-contact with anybody.

"Pan", on the other hand, is the prefix to an "urgency message". It is the abbreviation for "Hello everyone, I have something urgent to pass, please be quiet for a moment until I'm done with it." A "Pan"-message does not even have to be aviation related, the textbook example being a pilot who oberserves a car crash below and tells ATC, who have direct telephone lines to the rescue services, about it. Calling "Pan" gives you no special treatment by ATC at all (in this country!). If the Pan message is related to yourself, your aeroplane or your passengers, ATC will respond by asking "Do you wish to declare an emergency". If so, you should better have called "Mayday" in the first place, because this yould have saved you the time and distraction of two extra transmissions.

Greetings, Max

NB: A controller answering with "Don't call Mayday over the radio" to a Mayday call would immediately be suspended here. He probably wouldn't even be allowed to finish his shift.

C172 Hawk XP
13th Nov 2008, 15:59
A controller answering with "Don't call Mayday over the radio" to a Mayday call would immediately be suspended here

and quite right too . . . . !

how else do you call a Mayday ?

BackPacker
13th Nov 2008, 18:26
how else do you call a Mayday ?

"Gander Oceanic, Speedbird One, message"
"Speedbird One, Gander, say again"
"Gander, Speedbird One and we have a message for you"
"Allright Speedbird One, go ahead and pass your message"
"Gander, Speedbird One, message is 'mayday mayday mayday the wing is on fire'"

Whopity
13th Nov 2008, 20:14
Calling "Pan" gives you no special treatment by ATC at all (in this country!)Then thay are not acting in accordance with ICAO Annex 10 which states that an aircraft making an Urgency call shall have priority over all other traffic except a distress call!

Human Factor
13th Nov 2008, 21:08
...aircraft making an Urgency call shall have priority over all other traffic except a distress call!

As I found out inbound to LGW last year on a "Pan Pan" to be told on contacting them, "I hope you have another plan, you're number two to Mayday traffic.":ouch:

draughtsman99
13th Nov 2008, 22:10
Only an SLF view.
Sorry for butting in guys but as the holder of a VHF radio licence for the marine band I would like to add my tuppenceworth. I was taught by the RNLI that:-
Mayday (3times) should be used to declare an emergency which endangers the vessel and/or its passengers/crew.
Pan Pan (3 times) should be used to indicate an urgent transmission, taking precedence over everything except Mayday calls to report a threat to life or major problem short of a threat to the entire hull. (Note it is NOT a Pan call - it is a Pan-Pan call)
ie,One of 2 engines out in flight is a threat to the hull therefore a Mayday (even if you can continue on one engine since loss of the remaining engine could be a bad thing! just ask Ryanair) a heart attack passenger is regretable but no threat to the hull therefore a Pan Pan call if you want to off load them at the nearest airport.
Of passing interest - until about the mid 80s a man overboard (marine style) was just a Pan Pan and not a Mayday since there was no threat to the hull!!

Human Factor
13th Nov 2008, 22:15
ie,One of 2 engines out in flight is a threat to the hull therefore a Mayday (even if you can continue on one engine since loss of the remaining engine could be a bad thing! just ask Ryanair) a heart attack passenger is regretable but no threat to the hull therefore a Pan Pan call if you want to off load them at the nearest airport.

Interesting to hear it from a different (nautical) point of view. In fact, the SOP is generally that an engine fire would be a "Mayday" and an engine failure (such as a run down in cruise) would be a "Pan Pan". It isn't a hard and fast rule but even on a twin jet, you would give consideration to downgrading to a "Pan" if you'd put the fire out. As you say, "Pan Pan" would be for a lesser event (a heart attack being one), although in certain parts of the world you would still need to say the M-word if you wanted assistance.

draughtsman99
13th Nov 2008, 22:34
Human Factor, sorry for trying to extrapolate from marine to air and I know what you mean about the need to use the M word to wake people up in some areas.
Since I was driving a lifeboat I had little need to initiate a Mayday other than for the radio examination, but it was always possible. The only time we could envisage using it was if the boat was inverted and the self righting failed, I am not sure the VHF would have worked with the antenae a meter or 2 underwater, but hey, we had good lifejackets and our mates at base waiting for our return,so no real danger!

AMEandPPL
13th Nov 2008, 22:57
a man overboard (marine style) was just a Pan Pan and not a Mayday since there was no threat to the hull !!

So, when did you last hear "Man overboard" being yelled on a 757 ? !

Or is that the way they deal with the smokers nowadays ? ! . . .:ok:

draughtsman99
13th Nov 2008, 23:12
So, when did you last hear "Man overboard" being yelled on a 757 ? !
Not 757 - It was on a Shorts Sunderland!! :)
And MOB is too good for smokers - let them drown - it is cheaper than the medical care they need later.:sad:

Pace
14th Nov 2008, 08:37
Having had a number of situations flying jets and twin props I would add that there are often grey areas which are not white or black.
Obviously if the Donkey goes bang it is a straight mayday situation.

I had an emergency sitauation in a citation flying from Biggin Hill to Majorca at night. climbing through FL240 over the channel The first indication was a slight burning smell. I was asked to contact the french controllers but requested I remain with London for a little longer as there may be a problem.

Smoke then started coming out of the air vents. Priority then was to go to the emergency checklist to try and contain the problem and work out a course of action.

There followed communication with ATC who asked about the nature of the problem and my desired intentions.

At no time did ATC refer to a possible Mayday but instead used the terminology of "declaring an emergency". In other occasions when there has been a problem some which have been rectified or worked around there has always been ongoing communication with ATC and never once have I heard ATC refer to "are you declaring a Mayday" but ALWAYS "are you declaring an emergency". So not even ATC seem that committed to the word Mayday.

In the above ATC Placed a precautionary emergency in place and gave me a direct to Biggin with a continuous descent.

Mayday goes back a long time and always brings to mind wartime films with some poor guys wing falling off his spitfire.
Usually the situation is not clear cut and develops to a situation where an emergency is declared and usually with some length of communication with ATC.

Pace

BackPacker
14th Nov 2008, 08:45
At no time did ATC refer to a possible Mayday but instead used the terminology of "declaring an emergency".

I wonder if this isn't done deliberately. If all of a sudden ATC would utter "mayday" while the comms have a bit of static on them, the aircraft involved might think it was a mayday from another aircraft and shut up.

Sort of the same thing as we have with departure/take-off. To avoid any confusion, the first time the word take-off is used is when ATC clears you for take-off. Until then everybody talks about a departure.

Keygrip
14th Nov 2008, 12:28
I've never had ATC "offer" me a SVFR clearance. I had to ask for it first. There are certain words and phrases that they should not use - I agree with the idea of the "departure/take off" comment.

I *believe* that ATC used the correct phraseology with "Are you declaring an emergency" - if you elect to answer in the affirmative then it's up to you to decide the level of attention.

Heard a Pan-Pan call go out in the USA recently, a helicopter had a bird strike in which the feathery critter came through the canopy and splattered against the pasengers and pilot.

The call *started* with "Pan-Pan" and ended with pilot intentions which were "I *am* landing on the threshold of your runway 06" (It wasn't a request).

ShyTorque
14th Nov 2008, 13:44
I've never had ATC "offer" me a SVFR clearance.

Routine in UK for rotary winged aircraft wishing to fly in Class A airspace. Normally the only thing offered!

BossEyed
14th Nov 2008, 13:51
Interesting thread. (Not just for the OP which, if the 'Pilot' letter is true, just goes to show that there are indeed some real idiots out there.)

To complete the set, after Pan Pan and Mayday, I've often wondered - is the "Securité Securité Securité (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securite)" call ever used in Aviation?

Il Duce
14th Nov 2008, 18:50
Can only speak for UK ops - securite, securite, securite is used by D&D to broadcast on 121.5 and 243.0 details of temporary airspace restrictions, for instance TDAs established for SAROPS, and other non-emergency (but obviously very important) activities which may affect flyers.

Fergus Kavanagh
14th Nov 2008, 22:59
The primary purpose of using MAYDAY, PAN or SECURITE, is to secure the
attention of all others on the r/t channel, in two respects.
1. You need to talk to those who may be able to help you.
2. You need everyone else to stay quiet while you talk to those who
can help you.

No other phraseology will achieve both purposes INSTANTLY.
No other phraseology will ENTITLE you to priority on the channel.
And it should work EVERYWHERE. It is called ' The International Code of Signals.'
'Houston, we have a problem' will not cut through the crap on a busy
r/t channel.

I'm not a pilot, but I was a Marine Radio Officer for some years, and to the best of my knowledge the rules are the same.

The three codes are only a broad indication of the severity of the problem.
A Mayday can be downgraded to a PAN, or cancelled, if appropriate..

To illustrate: While at anchor in Table Bay, Capetown, some years ago,
we had a fire in the Engine room. Fire bells went off, I went to the Bridge
to see whats up. The Captain was screaming ' Capetown Radio, Capetown
Radio, emergency XXXX on fire" etc on VHF Channel 16 (emergency and calling channel), and getting drowned out by everyone else on the busy
channel, thus no response.
A single call of SAYKURITAY, SAYKURITAY, silenced the channel instantly
and got the undivided attention of Capetown Radio.

That's the way it is supposed to work.

So if you want to be all girly and coy, by all means do so, but dont be
surprised if no-one appreciates your plight.

Keygrip
14th Nov 2008, 23:52
Shy - you suggesting that they make the first suggestion of SVFR - or they happily accept your request for it? Different thing.

ATC are not permitted to ask you if you want it - are they? You have to suggest it first.

ShyTorque
15th Nov 2008, 00:45
The London Heathrow control zone is class A airspace and there are published helicopter routes to various places within that airspace. They are all SVFR routes. If you call for zone entry via a route the clearance you receive is normally something along the lines of "Cleared H3, Standard operating altitudes, Special VFR, report at XXX."

i.e. Pilot asks for a clearance to enter the zone, giving details of the required route. ATC read back clearance incuding the words "Special VFR", so I guess the protocol is that they offer (only) SVFR. It would be hightly unusual to ask for an IFR clearance unless previously written flight planned and impossible to get a VFR clearance in Class A. So SVFR it usually is but ATC instigate the actual words.

bookworm
15th Nov 2008, 08:53
ATC are not permitted to ask you if you want it - are they? You have to suggest it first.

There are some differences between US and UK procedures here, for good reason.

In the US, SVFR is exclusively a poor weather procedure. If the weather were VMC you'd use a VFR clearance instead. Thus it's reasonable that controllers should not volunteer SVFR to avoid tempting less capable pilots into flying in marginal weather.

In the UK, some control zones are class A, and also no VFR is permitted at night (anywhere). In those cases an SVFR clearance is required, even in glorious VMC. Thus there's no corresponding prohibition on ATC volunteering SVFR.

Flik Roll
16th Nov 2008, 17:15
I once had a rough runner on take off and was losing 500rpm a time. I just carried on a normal, did a climbing turn up to 800' to stay close to the airfield and gave a downwind call as usual; there was little else I could do..... I felt happier flying a normal circuit than trying to be clever and do a turn back or start finals early. Runway infront of you is always a good thing!

Didn't bother making a PAN call....

Saab Dastard
16th Nov 2008, 18:16
Didn't bother making a PAN call....

Your call under your circumstances, but it might (under other circs) be advisable so that ATC (if any) and other traffic (if any) knows your problem and to keep clear until you are safely on the ground, especially if you find yourself executing a non-standard or truncated circuit.

SD