View Full Version : Strip Flying Sussex

barne_as
10th Nov 2008, 16:20
Does anyone know of any space going at a strip somewhere close in Sussex for basing a permit aircraft or similar?

will5023
13th Nov 2008, 18:34
Hi What aircraft , and East or West sussex ?

Will.

chevvron
14th Nov 2008, 15:00
Looking at flashearth, there has to be at least 20 and possibly 30 strips in Sussex!

BRL
14th Nov 2008, 23:40
There are loads down here, I know of quite a few myself and the owners do like to keep these things tight regarding who uses them. I think it is more of a case of who you know regarding getting on a nice private one.

jxc
15th Nov 2008, 18:34
do you know of any shares in any permi aircraft in east sussex

Jxc

will5023
16th Nov 2008, 09:24
As a foot note to the above and to anyone else wanting to base there aircraft at an airstrip, or thinking of it:
The chances of walking directly onto an airstrip in the S/E are slim, unless you know the owner personally and they have space! If you buy an aircraft first, then be prepared to hangar it at a commercial airfield for a time, untill you find an appropiate strip. Be prepared to travel a little and do not base yourself at a short strip that is too close to your skill level or the aircraft's, it WILL end in TEARS!!
Always telephone the owner first, or approach a pilot if you know them, turning up at a strip and demanding a space is not the approach, ask if you could be put on a waiting list if there is one. Be truthfull about your experience,even if you have little,and be prepared to get some coaching or instruction on strip flying etc.
Most airstrips run on the "28" day rule or have CLU(planning permission) so any missconduct could close the airstrip, or create local opposition.
If you find a space, pay on time, make sure you sign the movements book. Be carefull of other aircraft in the hangar and leave the place tidy. Do not bring loads of friends to the strip for a picnic with cars parked everywhere and people wandering about while others are trying to land...belive me it's happened! Once settled in you will find that the freedom of airstrip flying and the atmosphere of a good field are second to none.

Will.

IO540
16th Nov 2008, 11:59
I am advised by The Plod (so it must be accurate) that there are over 80 private strips in Sussex.

However, to get residence rights at one of these, you need

- your grandfather must have fought in WW1 with the owner's grandfather

- you have to be in the same Masonic lodge as the owner

- your plane has to be a "real plane" i.e. rag and tube type with a tail-wheel

I say this partly tongue in cheek but you get the idea :)

Most of these strips run under the 28-day rule, some of them converted this (after 10 years) into a legalised status, and a few have full planning. Most are highly nervous about visitors and if it is a group they like to keep it very tight. I went through an exercise a few years back looking for a place and got an exceedingly short thrift as a reply to a very simple enquiry.

It's a case of who you know...

Very few are over 500m which rules out most "touring" types.

barne_as
17th Nov 2008, 16:34
I didnt think that it would be too easy as i understand that it is someones own private land.

I know theres a book with farm strips in that you can buy but that doesnt seem particularly accurate in that in Sussex there only seems to be 2!!!

It makes getting names of landowners that much more tricky if you dont know where to look!!!

steveking
17th Nov 2008, 18:31
Could give the RVUK forum a go. I'm sure I've seen plenty of RV's from that way. They quite often operate from private strips.