PDA

View Full Version : ". . . wood for the trees"

Stephen Furner
9th Nov 2008, 22:10
I have a couple of questions I expect have been asked many times before so I apologise in advance for asking the obvious. I’ve had few searches on the CAA www site and Google but can’t seem to get a clear answer myself :confused:. Can anyone can point me to an appropriate UK CAA document or authoritative www site where I can look up the answers:
1) “Airways equipped”/”IFR equipped” – what is the specific kit that should be present in a light aircraft for it to conform to this description?
2) Interior refurbishment of light aircraft – what CAA forms or procedures need to be complied with if renewing the interior of aging aircraft?
Many thanks for any clues about where to look for this information :).
Stephen

Pilot DAR
9th Nov 2008, 23:45
Hi Stephen,

I'll steer clear of your first question, because I'm answering from Canada, and things are probably somewhat different.

As for your second question, have a look lower down this page of threads, or early on the next one. I've put answers into another very similar thread. If those answers don't cover it, ask a more specific quetion, and I'll have an answer for you from at least a Canadian/FAA point of view.

Pilot DAR

jamestkirk
10th Nov 2008, 00:36
To No.1 is the ANO. I am 99.9% sure its in there. If i remember rightly, there is a section with VFR/IFR equipment list. Forgive me if I am wrong. And apologies for pointing you in this direction because the ANO is a really dull read.

No.2 I have no idea.

Stephen Furner
10th Nov 2008, 00:54
Hi Pilot DAR,

I see from the previous posts that fire proofing of the materials used for the cabin interior will be an issue I will need to check out.

Many thanks for the advice.

Stephen

Spitoon
10th Nov 2008, 04:16
No 1 - ANO Article 19 and Schedue 4.

bookworm
10th Nov 2008, 07:29
“Airways equipped”/”IFR equipped” – what is the specific kit that should be present in a light aircraft for it to conform to this description?

You need to refer to Schedules 4 and 5 of the ANO.

"Airways" is standard 6 flight instruments with a second altimeter, COM/NAV/ADF/DME and Mode S transponder. In practice it should have BRNAV, but it is in principle "airways" without. "IFR" is much more vague -- could be anything.

Islander2
10th Nov 2008, 10:10
In practice it should have BRNAV, but it is in principle "airways" without. "IFR" is much more vague -- could be anything.Like me, do you you find that curious, bookworm? It seems very clear that the CAA means B-RNAV to be 'airways' mandatory above FL095, the AIP section equivalent to Schedule 5 includes it (paragraph 5.2.5, GEN 1.5), yet Schedule 5 doesn't! Is it just an oversight in recent ANO amendments?

bookworm
10th Nov 2008, 12:25
It seems very clear that the CAA means B-RNAV to be 'airways' mandatory above FL095, the AIP section equivalent to Schedule 5 includes it (paragraph 5.2.5, GEN 1.5), yet Schedule 5 doesn't! Is it just an oversight in recent ANO amendments?

Dunno. Perhaps the lawyers consider it covered by:

"Radio communication and radio navigation equipment capable of enabling the aircraft to
be navigated along the intended route"

?

Islander2
10th Nov 2008, 13:27
I imagine they'd be more likely to rely on Article 20:

"(3) In any particular case the CAA may direct that an aircraft registered in the United
Kingdom shall carry such additional or special radio communication or radio navigation
equipment as it may specify for the purpose of facilitating the navigation of the
aircraft, the carrying out ..............."

since the CAA does specify in the AIP the carriage of B-RNAV equipment in certain controlled airspace above FL095.

Stephen Furner
11th Nov 2008, 19:49
Many thanks for the info.:ok:

Stephen

Mark 1
12th Nov 2008, 14:09
Equipment for IFR outside CAS is barely legislated. Its more down to aircraft type certification.

Aircraft certificated under a modern code like FAR pt23 or CS23 may specify instruments, gyros, back-up systems that are required for IFR or VFR flight.

Vintage aircraft may historically retain their right to fly IFR with just an ASI, Alt and a big turn and bank indicator if that was the basis of their original certification.