PDA

View Full Version : Branscombe Airfield - Help Needed Again

rohmer
7th Nov 2008, 13:49
Having resubmitted a comprehensive and revised planning application for operation of Branscombe airfield in East Devon, owner & LAA Devon Strut member David Hayman is also pursuing a Certificate of Lawful Use. To achieve this, David needs more information to substantiate the regular use of the airfield by pilots over the past 10 years.

Consequently, he is requesting that if any of you who weren’t able to contribute your logbook entries for your visits to / from Branscombe in support of the previous planning application, please would you kindly do so this time?

Branscombe is a delightful grass airfield with an established history of fly-ins by the Devon Strut, Aeronca Club and its annual Air Day which has regularly attracted thousands of punters and raised over £100K for local & national charities. It is also home to 2 small businesses. Mike King runs Sky4Aviation doing a/c maintenance & overhaul and his daughter-in-law Sarah operates Sky4Covers, manufacturing bespoke quality a/c covers.

It would be criminal to allow the 2 local nimbys who moved into the locality after the airfield was established, to succeed in closing it down and with it, the 2 businesses which, with their small workforce, are contributing to the local economy.

Please contact Jamie Dyson, who is collating the evidence for the Lawful Use application, on 01297-680706 or [email protected]

DavidWeston
7th Nov 2008, 19:48
Rohmer

Given that for the past n years, we have been discouraged from using Branscombe without specific permission, it will be difficult to produce evidence of flights in or out, not on an Air Day.

I've wanted to use it on a number of occasions, but was not able to.

I hope that the owners get their permission and that it once again becomes a usable airfield

Sincerely

David

rohmer
8th Nov 2008, 07:50
In recent years, the previous owner spent time in Kent and the USA so was not able to manage the strip as actively as before. Coupled with the increase in nimby activity the a/c movements were restricted to home based a/c, visitors associated with the local businesses or Air Days & fly-ins. If the planning application and certificate of lawful use are successful, David, the new owner, intends that airfield will be open to visitors again, albeit on PPR to ensure the movements stay within the planning consent conditions.

rlsbutler
13th Dec 2008, 18:50
I have heard that the planning hearing was early this month. Any news ?

robin
13th Dec 2008, 19:00
I had a letter today and it is to be heard next week on the 19th Dec.

The Branscombe team still need your help, but please no abusive comments about the local neighbours - they have used PPRUNE postings as evidence against the application, as they feel it shows we are arrogant and irresponsible playboys.

Also, if you want to comment, please do so in your own words.

rlsbutler
14th Dec 2008, 16:48
Thanks Robin. I have had the same letter.

vanHorck
14th Dec 2008, 18:11
I am a pilot but I have never flown into this airfield.

However I would think it is common sense (and at least a moral obligation) for anyone moving into an area to check before they move whatever could affect their local environment.

Life would become unbearable for everyone, if people were allowed to first move into an area to then start affecting other's people lives and livelihood by trying to force out whatever activity does not please them.

It's called "in the good and in the bad". Factories and other businesses are an integral part of life's community and should be protected from this.

I wish those striving to keep the airfield open lots of luck and understanding by the decision makers

rlsbutler
19th Dec 2008, 12:13
Permission effectively granted, as at just after 1200 today. Lots of picky conditions, but three particular open days permitted with (as far as I could make out) no practical constraints.

nickyjsmith
6th Jan 2009, 19:59
Well done all,

My brothers got a caravan on the site up the hill from the pub. If i can get my damn licence finished i hope to fly down from egbj.

Common sence prevails !!

wrecker
7th Jan 2009, 16:40
A good result (i hope)
A Super strip in a lovely part of the world. I just wish they would get a supply of 100LL or Mogas as its too far for an unrefuelled return flight.
Any way very well done to all who fought long and hard.

robin
7th Jan 2009, 20:12
Here from the superb Devon Strut website is the latest piece of news - not all good, I'm afraid

From David Hayman, Branscombe Airfield
Dear all in the Devon Strut, supporters and friends,
I am delighted to inform you all that this morning (Friday 19th December) EDDC have granted approval for our planning application to continue to use Branscombe Airfield….

On the upside however, we now have consent to host a Devon Strut fly-in which sits outside of our 250 flights per annum. We also have consent to host youth air experience days and the annual Air Day.As there are 4 resident aircraft at Branscombe, it sadly means that we will not be open all year round to anyone as we are strictly limited to 250 flights per year between us and so I will put a landing fee in line with that at Exeter in place, outside of the above mentioned days, to discourage use of the strip by visitors........

Still it is a victory and should be celebrated as such.

skywagondriver
7th Jan 2009, 20:30
and so I will put a landing fee in line with that at Exeter in place, outside of the above mentioned days, to discourage use of the strip by visitors........

Yeah right- thanks for all the support - not!

What a joke...first time around the application was withdrawn by the owner with no explanation and then after help the second time this is the result...

Of course being selective about visitors is not the object - it's revenue and not being bothered to answer calls from people that have supported both applications and may 'just' want to visit...

Ian

robin
7th Jan 2009, 20:47
Of course being selective about visitors is not the object - it's revenue and not being bothered to answer calls from people that have supported both applications and may 'just' want to visit...

Ian

I think not - there is a limit on movements that cuts back on the availability of the airfield. Believe me, the owner is not happy about the limit as it is far too low to allow for visitors except on event days.

We'll have to wait and see for a bit to see what happens

A and C
11th Jan 2009, 17:27
Self, self & self is all you seem to be thinking about, the owner of this strip has to think about his residents first. After all what would be the position of the engineering company if selfish people like you used up all the years movements by September.......... ?

skywagondriver
11th Jan 2009, 23:21
B&C What a stupid conclusion for you to reach after reading my post...Actually it would be great for the owner to come on line and explain - but he gets others to do the explaining & apologizing - does he consider people wanting to use it 'selfish'?

Selfish, eh - like many others wrote to the council twice after the first one was withdrawn with no explanation.

I don't want to visit there except for the open days but there are many that would like to and are disappointed. It's actually not a convenient place except for the special events

If you had actually read what I said it's not self self self...this guy has been asking the GA community for help and he got it.

A and C
12th Jan 2009, 07:32
Tell me how I could come to any other conclusion? You seem to be having a go at the owner just because the results of the planning enquiry are not to your liking and he did not thank you personaly.

I put in a letter of support for the airfield only because I think that we as an aviation community are under attack from the NIMBY,s and the airfield needed some support.

I don't expect a letter of thanks from the owner and can see why he has had to restrict movments, after all he has to protect the resident engineering business that must be able to get aircraft in and out without restriction and the people who are based on the airfield need to be able to fly.

DavidHayman
7th Oct 2009, 23:09
I have after many months - only just seen the thread below. I just wanted you to know - that I am overwhelmingly grateful to everyone that gave support. I am not happy about the restriction to 250 flights per year and a maximum of 3 in any one day - especially as we have 5 (soon to be 6) resident aircraft.

It may sound arrogant - but in the big picture - I am not very interested in the revenue from the high landing fees I have imposed. The reason for putting in place a high landing fee is to discourage all but the most keen aviators to come and use up the movements - which would not be fair to my resident pilots. By and large this has worked. In any event - the upkeep of the strip runs into many thousands of pounds and the odd £35 goes frankly nowhere to covering that.

If I could, I would be happy to have more visitors especially as we proved through 4 separate sound assessments surveys that our aircraft were no noisier than tractors, chainsaws, combine harvesters and quad bikes which are all as (if not more) noisy for longer periods and can operate without restriction in the area.

My own opinion is that the council were distracted and intimidated by a noisy and vociferous minority of individuals who had nothing better to do with their time than cause mischief (which included organising a clay pigeon shoot to scupper the Charity Air Day) and in one case, make defamatory statements in a public email with a large no of cc'd recipients about me personally (which resulted in a successful legal action against the individual).

No - the council fudged this issue completely - they did not grant what we had requested and rather than appeal, we will be submitting another application with the fall back position of the consent that we now have.

As to the present; I am also delighted to announce a Youth Air Experience Day this Sunday 11 Oct at Branscombe. There is no restriction on movements and everyone is welcome. If the weather is good - come and have a flight into our lovely airstrip.

Kind regards

David Hayman

flyingannoyance
12th Mar 2011, 13:39
Hi,

Glad I just found this old forum. I totally disagree with the last comments and just wish Mr Hayman would be more forward over his planning applications as well as his flight allowance. Over 50+ local signed complaint over the usage of the runway and hardly anyone knew that there was businesses connected to the runway. This runway was built for private use and for pleasure only. I can also confirm that the people who are complaining have lived here way longer before the runway was built and before Mr Hayman moved here. Its noisy, interfere with radio and TV. Safety is a worry and worst still, farmers get annoyed with planes flying over which is upsetting cattle. I also would like to thank Mr Hayman who only lived in village for little time for doing nothing or giving anything back to the village... The hassle the air show causes to road traffic that get mis-directed in the village. Last event caused problems to the emergency service.

The main reason why the air show was cancel.. was that Mr Hayman forgot to give advance application to the police. Nothing to do with clay shot which is not even on the flight path of the runway.

Thanks to him and his flying buddys my summer days in the garden is wrecked by low flying planes landing/taking off which last well over minute.

Another thing.. Branscombe is now known to have Branscombe international Airport!

Branscombe was quiet place.... Sadly people with more money than sense is killing it.

Redbird72
12th Mar 2011, 18:41
Assuming the restrictions in the owner's last post are correct, we are talking about an airfield with a maximum of three movements a day apart from a couple of special events per year. Could you please explain how this ruins your entire summer?? You've got me foxed there.

May I ask if Branscombe has banned motorbikes, agricultural lorries, road works? I will eat my headset if any of these are quieter and/or disturb the peace for less time that 3 SEP takeoffs over the space of a day.

:ugh:

Proteus9
12th Mar 2011, 19:54
I've seen similar arguments used against many activities in the countryside: Clay pigeon shooting, simulated game, Motocross, 4x4 off road sites and businesses including park home sites, and currently wind turbines.

At the end of the day it seems to come down to Jealousy. How dare anyone do anything that I don't do and enjoy or get something out of it. I have purchased my house exactly where it is and no one is allowed to do anything near me, time must stand still. No cars or heavy vehicles should be allowed to travel through my village unless coming to see me or provide services for me. How dare tractors drive past and leave mud on the road, spread chicken feathers and slurry on the fields ruining my days.

Then comes the incredibly weak excuses to try to hide the real reason of objection. "Its noisy, interfere with radio and TV." Could you possibly provide some substantial, robust scientific evidence that a light aircraft flying with some considerable separation from your house provides significant interference with the radio and TV ?

This is my absolute favourite though. "worst still, farmers get annoyed with planes flying over which is upsetting cattle." I'm sure I remember reading the same arguments when railways were first constructed, along with the fact that the human body could not take speeds in excess of 20mph. If noise to cattle was such a concern, they would run a mile of a farmer on a noisy quad bike. In the past I have regularly rode a noisy two stroke motorcycle with a farming friend checking on stock in fields, and they were certainly louder than a lot of light aircraft.

Have you ever been up in a light aircraft and enjoyed the simple pleasures of being able to enjoy a three dimensional freedom and ability to see your area from a completely different perspective?

Ending it with a comment about people with more money than sense is rather sad, and just shows an ignorant envious attitude. There are an awful lot of people who fly who don't have lots of money, but fit in an hour here and there when they can because of the tremendous pleasure they get from it.

Perhaps everyone should give up on air travel and leave the sky for the birds? Whilst we are at it we could do away with the entire transport network. Peace, quiet, and long walks for anything...

gijoe
12th Mar 2011, 20:44
Flyingannoyance,

It is not the noise that is killing Branscombe, it is morons like you that live in the 19th century and spend most of their waking hours seeking to put in place some more legislation - as if the UK needs more - or to get some ruling to stop others doing things they enjoy.

I bet you are a right barrel of fun. Branscombe is not a particularly nice place - it is dull, crowded and full of narrow-minded idiots like you. The little airstrip is fine, not brilliant, but fine. I enjoyed flying in once to drop parachutists but was not minded to return.

Get out, do something with your heartbeats and divert your energies another way. Others have, so why don't you?

jollyrog
12th Mar 2011, 21:36
I think we'd make a better case and promote a better image for GA by challenging the arguments, rather than attacking the individual.

He is entitled to his opinion and whilst there is unlikely to be much sympathy on this forum, the comments are due a reasoned response.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
12th Mar 2011, 22:06
There's always one who just has to be a goody goody and spoil all the banter:ugh:

stickandrudderman
12th Mar 2011, 23:03
If the guy can't even use a spell checker what chance has he got of being taken seriously?
Perhaps, and I really don't know one way or the other, there's some merit in his argument, but he certainly hasn't done himself any favours with that post!:D

peter272
12th Mar 2011, 23:14
What is the agenda in this reactivated thread.

I enjoy flying into Branscombe and it is a great place to fly into. The local situation hasn't been resolved, sadly, but it is the sort of place we need to keep.

The owner is a good guy and keen to support GA so let's help him - there are few enough of them that are willing to help us.

Deeday
13th Mar 2011, 00:11
I'm another 'goody goody' on this one and jollyrog is spot-on. All those personal insults and slagging off of bad spelling will surely make you feel better - and at the same time gain GA another most unneeded enemy. If that is what you want...

soaringhigh650
13th Mar 2011, 01:36
Sadly people with more money than sense is killing it.

It is sad when people choose to move near an airport and then complain about its noise.

Contrary to what the media feeds you, the vast majority of pilots actually live on average saleries, and do have more sense than money.

And we don't want to be your enemy.

flyingannoyance could benefit from reading General Aviation Serves America (http://www.gaservesamerica.com/learnmore.html). You are more than welcome to have a flight with me. I can show you want we do here, and how we contribute to the economy and to the wider society.

xrayalpha
13th Mar 2011, 08:20
BEWARE:

The last post from the airfield owner was before the thread got revitalised, and said:

"... rather than appeal, we will be submitting another application with the fall back position of the consent that we now have. "

Now, months later, just wehn a new appication might be getting prepared, the thread is revived with a post that purports to be from an angry neighbour.

It may well be. And he/she may well be looking for evidence from Pprune about "arrogant" pilots, who have no care for communities they frequent, being selfish only about their pleasures etc etc etc.

A and C
13th Mar 2011, 10:21
I find it very hard to give credit to your statment that the aircraft are disturbing livestock or wildlife, I am involved with a rural airfield with the more usage than Branscombe and the divercity of wildlife that finds sanctuary on the airfield and in the hedgerows is quite astounding I have seen at least five types of birds of prey, and large dear to name just a few.

I refer you to the post above about troubles with your radio & TV.

Branscombe is an interesting place as you would think that it would be the residence for those engaged in the business of the airfield and local farms, this is not so as the cost of housing has been driven up by those from the citys who use the place as a hoiday home or retirement. The local working people cant afford to live in Branscoumbe having been driven out by those who have a lot more money and want to live in a rural theam park, as a farmer I would be very carefull about backing these anti airfield people because once they get the airfield closed they will turn on the "nusance" that results from muck spreading, tractors, farm yard noise Etc.

The local authority is interesting in the fact that they have a semingly small planning department for quite a large area and yet they have a disproportionate amount of time to give to enforcment action on the airfield with very regular visits. This begs a few questions, Is there so little other planning work that they have nothing else to do? Are they giving in to exccesive pressure from a small minority of people and so failing to properly supervise other planning applications in the area? Are the planners short of work and using the airfield as job protection from the Govenment cuts?

These are the kindest interpritations that I can put on the actions of the planning authoritys, if I was subject to this sort of scrutiny from the planning authority I would be looking at a victimisation action.

As far as I can see most of the problems at Branscombe are the result of a few pepole who have a lot of money and a lot of time with nothing better to do, If they get the airfield shut they will put an aircraft restoration company out of business and people out of work for no other reason than their own selfishness and the aim of even higher house prices.

twelveoclockhigh
13th Mar 2011, 10:46
We had about 200 hundred sheep in the field next to our runway in January and they weren't in the least bit interested in the aircraft.

Hot air balloons for some reason seem to scare the cr*p out of most animals and they don't really make any noise - apart from the burner.

With most airfield compaints there is more to it than a bit of noise - there is usually an agenda - our biggest noise complainer, who chose to buy a house on the approach to a busy airfield, breeds dogs and generates far more noise complaints from his neighbours over the barking than an airfield ever could.

Let's face it there is noise everywhere in the country - if you want peace and quiet stay in the city and go to the park!

jollyrog
13th Mar 2011, 10:56
When I bought my house in South London, London City Airport wasn't there. I'm well South of the final approach tracks for Heathrow. The only jet traffic I had to suffer noise from was Heathrow traffic leaving the Biggin stack and joining the FAT. Quite high and not too intrusive.

Now, I get London City downwind traffic at 2000ft every couple of minutes, right over the house, all day, every day. I don't like the noise very much, but I doubt that they'll change the approach path or cease operations as a result of me complaining.

In comparison, a few SEP movements each day would be bliss. Noise complainants in the countryside have a different and (I think) unreasonable definition of what consitutes noise.